Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Statement from Warren:

Following reports of an adverse analytical finding in a test carried out by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (“VADA”) on WBO World Middleweight Champion, Billy Joe Saunders, we can confirm that the product concerned is permitted to be used ‘Out of Competition’ by United Kingdom Anti-Doping (“UKAD”) in line with the regulations of the World Anti-Doping Agency (“WADA”).

For the avoidance of doubt, the product in question was a common decongestant nasal spray.

The British Boxing Board of Control (“BBBofC”) under whose jurisdiction Billy Joe Saunders is licensed are affiliated only to UKAD/WADA.

Today the BBBofC have confirmed that Mr Saunders is not in breach of BBBofC or UKAD anti doping regulations and is therefore in good standing and is licensed to box and defend his World Title on October 20th.

Mr. Saunders has been tested a number of times in 2018, all negative, his last out of competition test by UKAD was on 24th September 2018.

Call me old fashioned, but when Saunders finally gets his comeuppance I want it to be at the hands of an opponent in the ring, not because he took a cold medicine that has 0.0003% of a banned substance.

Yeh, dont think any of my negativity about Fury means i dont actually want to see this thing happen, i cant wait.ï»ż

Are you telling us, Ebb, that you are in fact, "down with that" fight?

Edited by David

I’m going with Groves

Have hated the hype Sky have given Callum Smith over the years when he’s never been matched up against anyone half decent.  Groves should outbox him with ease and win by decision.

Edit: Completely forgot I bet on Groves to win this tournament before it started, put £100 on and got him at 6/1 as the bookies fancied Smith and Eubank Jr 

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Call me old fashioned, but when Saunders finally gets his comeuppance I want it to be at the hands of an opponent in the ring, not because he took a cold medicine that has 0.0003% of a banned substance.

Are you telling us, Ebb, that you are in fact, "down with that" fight?

I'm down Dai.

And yep, id also like to see Saunders get his comeuppance in the ring.

Tonight im favouring Groves. A few years ago Smith looked like a monster but his punch power hasnt really translated to world level and hes not overly impressed in the WBSS. If Groves shoulder holds out i'll have him by decision.

• Paid Members

I want to see BJS get battered, obviously. But I don't want to see his cuntiness rewarded with a payday vs a Canelo or Golovkin to see that beatdown. So hopefully someone fucks him up before he gets there and he never gets back there again. Come on Andrade! 

Oh and Groves relatively comfy on points is my feeling. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Gutted for Groves. I had it even before the stoppage. 2 of the judges had Groves ahead as well. But Smith caught him flush and had him in trouble a few times before the stoppage. That final body shot was the killer. Joe Gallagher can still fuck off though. 

The Eubank vs McDonagh confrontation was hilarious. McDonagh has done a post-fight interview with IFL. Its, erm, worth a listen. I think he's trying to tell us he did no sparring before the fight. 

Oh, and I admire how much thought Wand has put into his venom for BJS. 

Edited by jimufctna24

10 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Stunning KO by Callum Smith to beat Groves and add another couple of titles to the Smith family records, wouldn't mind him having a crack at Brook in the near future

It’s Liam Smith who is Brooks weight, well light middle which Brook has fought at. Calum is Super Middle.

Although it was a close fight, i always felt Smith was in control. I guess we never knew how good Smith is due to his inactivity. He’s fucking huge! I mean GG is a big SM but hes a giant.

Looks like Degale/JNR in December. Another PPV!

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members

Wait a second, DeGale vs Eubank Jr on PPV?! OK, now it's getting ridiculous. Fuck am I paying for that. I thought putting Groves vs Smith and Frampton vs Warrington on PPV was taking liberties but this is really taking the piss. Neither man is even relevant at the moment and DeGale is looking awful these days. The actual cheek of them putting that on PPV :laugh: to think people were moaning about Whyte vs Parker being on Sky Box Office. That looks like a Joshua vs Wilder vs Fury triple threat PPV now in comparison to this load of old shite. 

Shame about Groves. I haven't seen the whole fight yet but had the result spoiled so I watched the finish. Felt sorry for George. It's weird because I used to think Groves was a right twat but he's really grown on me and matured over the years. He seems a genuinely nice guy these days to me, he probably always was in fairness but the Froch and DeGale rivalries brought out the smartarse side of him that often rubbed me the wrong way. I've grown to like him a lot though so I was sad to see him put away like this. The weird thing is I like him more now but his fight buildups are way less entertaining than when he was being a bit of a knob. Smith did look huge for the weight. 

46 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

It's weird because I used to think Groves was a right twat but he's really grown on me and matured over the years. He seems a genuinely nice guy these days to me, he probably always was in fairness but the Froch and DeGale rivalries brought out the smartarse side of him that often rubbed me the wrong way.

Same here, apart from warming to him.  He just doesn't annoy me like he used to.

I always thought Groves came across well in the DeGale build up. He would just sit there calmly whilst DeGale was being a total fuckwit, killing his own fanbase by saying things like "he is an ugly ginger kid" and "urggghh your breath smells". Insults which probably had most 10 year olds rolling their eyes. Degale managed to go from Olympic hero to most British boxing fans turning on him after all that. The Groves/Froch fights had more needle from George but Froch seemed the bigger dickhead there too imo.

Happy for Callum. The Smith brothers don't have the best rep in Liverpool. I've heard a bunch of people says they can be knobs outside the ring. Especially Paul. Callum is thought of as the nice one though. I think he is the most talented as well. He is huge at SM and theres no one that great at the weight atm like a Ward or Calzaghe. Feel he could clear up the division and have a good few years run at the top. With the added bonus of annoying David with his scouse accent along the way.