Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Oh Groves was definitely the babyface against DeGale. By far. But by default because at the time I thought he seemed a bit of a bellend but much less so than DeGale. Against Froch I found Groves mega irritating and didn't get why Froch was seen as the heel by seemingly almost everyone. Funnily enough, if they had a third fight now I don't know who I'd root for. Like I say, Groves is more likeable these days and I've soured on Froch a bit since he retired and started shitting it up on commentary. 

• Paid Members

Well i was wrong about Callum not taking his power up to world level wasn't I? Smith looked sharp all night, kept that guard night and looked super dangerous with his counters. Always felt like Groves was gonna have to take risks to put a dent in Smith and change something because Smith just seemed to have Groves number from the start. Brilliant finish.

On 9/27/2018 at 11:04 PM, jimufctna24 said:

Statement from Warren:

Following reports of an adverse analytical finding in a test carried out by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (“VADA”) on WBO World Middleweight Champion, Billy Joe Saunders, we can confirm that the product concerned is permitted to be used ‘Out of Competition’ by United Kingdom Anti-Doping (“UKAD”) in line with the regulations of the World Anti-Doping Agency (“WADA”).

For the avoidance of doubt, the product in question was a common decongestant nasal spray.

The British Boxing Board of Control (“BBBofC”) under whose jurisdiction Billy Joe Saunders is licensed are affiliated only to UKAD/WADA.

Today the BBBofC have confirmed that Mr Saunders is not in breach of BBBofC or UKAD anti doping regulations and is therefore in good standing and is licensed to box and defend his World Title on October 20th.

Mr. Saunders has been tested a number of times in 2018, all negative, his last out of competition test by UKAD was on 24th September 2018.

This is utter bollocks and quite worrying Warren thinks it ok to defraud customers. People will read this and think the fight is still going ahead, so book tickets, flights, hotels, etc.

Ultimately the decision is nothing to do with the British Boxing Board of Control. Why would they have the power to license a world title fight in the USA anyway?!

The fight is due to take place in Boston, so has to be licensed by the Massachusetts Athletic State Commission. BJS needs to get a license from them. If he doesn't get a license, he will be stripped of the title. If he does get a license, the WBO will investigate the doping and then decide if they will sanction the fight.

BBC, citing ESPN - "

Saunders returned an adverse finding for stimulant oxilofrine in a test conducted by Vada on 30 August.

Under World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) and Ukad rules, oxilofrine is only banned in competition, while it is prohibited at all times by Vada."

Same stuff Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell popped for. Question is whether WADA consider if it was "in-competition" this far out from the fight.

7 hours ago, Rossman said:

This is utter bollocks and quite worrying Warren thinks it ok to defraud customers. People will read this and think the fight is still going ahead, so book tickets, flights, hotels, etc.

Ultimately the decision is nothing to do with the British Boxing Board of Control. Why would they have the power to license a world title fight in the USA anyway?!

The fight is due to take place in Boston, so has to be licensed by the Massachusetts Athletic State Commission. BJS needs to get a license from them. If he doesn't get a license, he will be stripped of the title. If he does get a license, the WBO will investigate the doping and then decide if they will sanction the fight.

Although Saunders is a Warren fighter, Warren is not promoting this fight. Eddie Hearn is. It went to price bids and DAZN won it. 

“In competition’ means taking it on the day of the fight from what i have read.  As much as I want Saunders stripped and to disapear into obscurity, i dont think it will happen.

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members

Didn't see this posted on here. Tonight's Victor Ortiz vs John Molina fight that was supposed to air on BoxNation has been cancelled because Ortiz is being done for three sexual assault charges, including rape. 

DKSuPq.jpg

The show is going ahead with the Brandon Figueroa vs Oscar Escandon fight bumped to main event. Joe Joyce is on the undercard as well. The bigger story is obviously these charges though. What a grim turn of events. 

• Paid Members

Yeh, thats shit. Hopefully it doesnt turn out to be true. Always been a fan of Ortiz and his bonkers career. 

James DeGale is on that undercard too.

Oh, and Tyson Fury/Deontay Wilder have a 3 day press tour starting tueaday (london, new york & los angeles), that thing is gonna be messy.

11 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Hopefully it doesnt turn out to be true

Given he was charged after a month long investigation, it's more a case of proving it as opposed to it not happening.  If it wasn't true, he wouldn't be charged.

• Paid Members

.mIf you need a little appetiser before the UFC Saturday this could be it...

oct-6-FW.png

Fish Eyes has put together a decent little domestic card there. Id be watching it live myself but i need to put some zzz's before the UFC starts otherwise i'll be suffering come 3am. This is decent though.

Dubois/Johnson is what it is. Kevin Johnson was over the hill when Fury and AJ beat him a few years ago so he'll have absolutely nothing for Dubois here. Just be interesting to see if Johnsons veteran tactics mess with him abit. Still, its a mismatch at this stage, Dubois by mercy stoppage.

The main reason to tune is for Davies/Catterall, thats a top domestic scrap. Davies has been quiet recently but if he wins this i expect his ego to fully get the better of him again, excellent scrap.

Then, Sky Sports airs the first Matchroom DAZN card. Bit shit to be going up against the biggest UFC of the year, but still its a solid card. Wondering how the American's take to it, they dont usually think much of the British fighters so they probably assume Hearns sending over a bunch of bums to round out the cards. 

event-poster-9770598.jpg

Jarrell Miller vs. Tomasz Adamek

Jesse Vargas vs. Thomas Dulorme

Artue Beterbiev vs. Callum Johnson

Gavin McDonnel vs. Daniel Roman

There's some depth there. 

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I thought Jacobs vs Derevyanchenko was later in the month? Didn't realise it was the same card as the Beterbiev vs Johnson fight. 

Edit - actually, yeah, the poster there says Oct 27th. Has it been moved to this weekend? 

Edited by wandshogun09

Jacobs vs Derevyanchenko is in a few weeks. But that card still looks good.

Looking forward to Callum Johnson v Artur Beterbiev. Johnson is a local lad so hopefully he does well but Beterbiev is a hard hitting monster. 12 wins, 12 KO's.

McDonnell vs Roman will be quite dull, two light punchers going 12 rounds.

There were a few rumblings of recklessness by DAZN matching Tomasz Adamek with Jarrell Miller. He's shop-worn, past 40 and not really a heavyweight. If Big Baby wins, it won't move him closer to a world title fight. Miller vs. Dillian Whyte would be a good scrap.