Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

31 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Dave brought the mental illness thing up, not me.

Dave didn't. Dave responded to your off-hand post about why Fury left boxing.

19 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Anyway, this is why we have these fights, to see who the man truly is. I do agree with Ebb that there are too many questions Fury needs to answer before he can attain his status as the man. I mean even this Wilder fight, people are rightly questioning if this is too early in his comeback to be slugging it out with a champion like Wilder.

The only way Fury answers any questions is by fighting the best. He walked away from the game for legitimate reasons as the best, and as he's said himself, why bother coming back if it's not to take up where he left off?

If he'd won his last fight and announced another fight against a scrub he'd be getting pelters, wouldn't he? 

He's taken the bull by the horns and he's stepping in there with someone that no one else has beaten. He's regarded, rightly or wrongly, as one of the top guys in the division and it wouldn't do him or anyone else any good for him to beat chumps.

If he loses, he loses. The questions are answered, Wilder moves on as the lineal heavyweight champion and takes that credential into the fight with Joshua.

If Fury wins, he takes the WBC strap and his lineal claim and fights Joshua. Unless Joshua and Hearn fuck that fight off and do something else.

24 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

No doubt the Fury that became world champion is tremendous and is maybe better than AJ/Wilder, but that was three years ago.

I know this may sound mental, but I don't think Fury has to be the guy he was when he beat Klitschko in Germany to beat Wilder. 

Or Joshua, for that matter. He's got the ability to box the shit out of both of them. 

• Paid Members

It's an intriguing fight. I'm not sold on Wilder. His record is great but he's never beaten truly class since Audley Harrison. Fury and Joshua have both beaten Klitschko who has been the benchmark for the last decade and more. I can't stand Fury personally but I'm glad he's back because he is a completely different element and has real class. Fair play to him too, taking on Wilder this soon shows a lot of balls too.

As much as I'd enjoy Fury getting whooped, I do hope he wins and we get the big Joshua/Fury fight. That would be something special at Wembley.

• Paid Members

Well he might be getting pelters, but if Eddie Hearn is to be believed Fury planned on taking several more scrubs before even thinking of getting in with the top guys (a 6 fight plan i think it was), its one of the reasons people think Fury might be cashing out here against Wilder. Thats speculation of course but im still not convinced that the Fury is anywhere near the guy he was 3 years ago, especially after that sloppy performance last time out. How much better can Fury realistically get in 6 months? If that guy we saw in the ring was the best heavyweight in the world its a sad overview of the division.

You also have to remember that Fury is without the team that got him to the world title, his coach now is a young guy who's never cornered or trained a fighter previously, there could be a case to be made that Fury is being ill advised in taking this fight by his team and his promoter.

Edited by Egg Shen

37 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I will admit that i worded it coldly.

Fair enough.  I'd like to think we all know the difference between getting / feeling depressed and being depressed.

And I agree for what it's worth, I don't consider Fury to be the man to beat either.

40 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Well he might be getting pelters, but if Eddie Hearn is to be believed Fury planned on taking several more scrubs before even thinking of getting in with the top guys (a 6 fight plan i think it was), its one of the reasons people think Fury might be cashing out here against Wilder.

Eddie Hearn, like most of the shady fucks who run boxing, is not to be believed. If that guy told me my name was Dave I'd double check my driving licence.

I don't think it's a case of "cashing out," I think it's a case of him seeing the opportunity and taking it. The circumstances were right to make the fight, and he probably knows that beating Wilder is the only way to the real money fight against AJ down the line.

42 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Thats speculation of course but im still not convinced that the Fury is anywhere near the guy he was 3 years ago, especially after that sloppy performance last time out. How much better can Fury realistically get in 6 months? If that guy we saw in the ring was the best heavyweight in the world its a sad overview of the division.

Throughout his career Fury has always been one of those guys who fights to the level of his opponent. I distinctly recall at the time when he was stepping in with Klitschko that virtually no one gave him a chance. There were even some pundits out there who were laughing at the fight.

Not only did he win a decision in Germany, but he made Klitschko look like a fucking amateur. Ducking and diving, hands behind his back, grinning like a goon.

No doubt if he beats Wilder we'll all be hearing about how Wilder wasn't really that good to begin with, and all manner of nonsense about smoke and mirrors.

51 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

You also have to remember that Fury is without the team that got him to the world title, his coach now is a young guy who's never cornered or trained a fighter previously, there could be a case to be made that Fury is being ill advised in taking this fight by his team and his promoter.

Again, what would you have him do? Waste time fighting another couple of scrubs while AJ and Wilder eventually sort their shit out and fight each other? What then? You think he's gonna fight three of four bums then get a shot against the winner of that AJ/Wilder fight? Of course not.

Frank Warren is just as untrustworthy as young boy Hearn, but he's not a mug. He's seen the stalling and disagreements between Joshua and Wilder and he's played a bit of a blinder by getting his man right into the thick of things.

He's got Tyson some decent dough and a fight in America against one of the two undefeated champions. 

Fury has went from making his comeback against a nobody to being thrown right into the mix within two months to a heavyweight discussion that is white hot. He's now a big part of the equation.

A few years from now it could be all change again, couldn't it? You strike while the iron is hot, and if he loses? Then, he loses. No shame in losing to Wilder, he's the champ for a reason.

Better that than risk a slip up against Joe No Cunt in his 4th comeback bout, isn't it? If that had happened it would have been all over before it even began.

• Paid Members

I hear what you are saying, but its two sides of the fence isnt it. Eddies side of the story was that he tried to sign Fury but didnt because Fury's comeback plan was to fight a long line of bums before stepping up, i have no reason to believe Eddie is lying either because he was saying that long before the Wilder fight came about.

It could be a case of striking when the iron is hot though and just pulling the trigger on the whole thing, who knows?

Off the point...

What a month its been for Billy Joe Saunders. Now he's popped for something and his October fight with Andrade is likely to be off.

https://es.pn/2NO5dNh

Edited by Egg Shen

It's the fight that both men need to have when it comes to Wilder vs Fury. No other fight out there bigger for either besides fighting Joshua and who knows how long that will take to happen, even for the winner of it. I'm happy both are willing to put it all on the line, no messing around, just getting it done and may the best man on the night win. I do believe right now Wilder has the slight edge because of Fury's inactivity, but with Fury you just don't know.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

What a month its been for Billy Joe Saunders. Now he's popped for something and his October fight with Andrade is likely to be off.

Oh yes. 

What was I saying again the other week? Hopefully this is the start of a downward spiral which ultimately sees him disappear into obscurity. Only to reappear in 5 years time all fat, washed up and pathetic on 'I'm A Celebrity' having to eat a kangaroo's anus because he fucked up his boxing career. 

What an absolute fucking helmet he really is. 

I think Wilder's blunderbuss style is going to connect with Fury's chin and he's going lights out. He doesn't have a solid chin and has been down numerous times including to Cruiserweight, Steve Cunningham. I don't think he's fought anyone with the same power as Wilder before either. Also apart from Klitschko, his opponents haven't been the most acclaimed.

Poor Billy Joe, looks like he's being stripped of the belt too. What a shame.

2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

48 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Billy Joe Saunders has failed a drugs test.

What happened to you, man?