Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Love how Warren calls out Hearn for dirty tactics in threatening to run shows on the same dates as his, then he drops a fight announcement on the day of Hearn/Povetkin to try and steal some of that shine off the show. 

On a recent IFL interview Warren brought up Stub Hub again and tried roll off the speech that now Ticketmaster had stopped secondary markets we can see that AJ isnt the draw Hearn would have you believe...but once Warren said "they've only sold 60,000 tickets" i think he realised thats still a hell of a lot of tickets so he changed the subject. Its getting tired now Frank.

• Paid Members

Ha, yeah. Got to love how he's conveniently waited until the day of AJ vs Povetkin to confirm the date. The old fuck. It's getting like the Monday Night Wars of Boxing this. Strategically timed announcements, going directly against each other with shows on the same night etc. I'm just waiting for Adam Smith to pipe up on a Sky show now with 'I'm hearing the other guys are doing Frampton vs Warrington. Huh. That'll put butts in seats'.

I've never really rated Povetkin. But he gave AJ a bit of bother there. I had it about even at the time of the stoppage, perhaps even Povetkin slightly ahead. Still, it looked like AJ was poised to take over from the 6th round onward. 

I usually find crap boxing funny. But the Okolie fight was just tedious. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

That was a really fun fight. Povetkin came to win and went for it and I thought he had at least 3 of the first 6 rounds. He caught AJ with some hard shots. I was starting to think this might be the night AJ lost his 0. Something about him looked slightly disinterested to me. His demeanour, his entrance, I don't know, it all just felt a bit subdued compared to some of his previous fights. He didn't even bother getting a fresh hair cut for this and looked like he'd just woke up when he was walking to the ring. He came through in the end though. And that finish was brutal. It was clear Povetkin was done when he nearly fell through the ropes after the first knockdown. Credit to him for even getting up from that but there was no way he was surviving the round after that. 

Thank fuck that fight delivered though because the show was a bit of a washout (literally) prior. It started well enough with the Giyasov knockout. Kuzmin vs Price was decent but the ending was flat and anti-climatic. Then Okolie vs Askin...fucking hell. Just abysmal. Completely sucked the life out of the show at that point. I can't imagine paying for tickets to Wembley and travel and hotels and have to watch that load of shite in the pissing down rain. Campbell vs Mendy 2 was OK, it just didn't catch fire. And something needed to catch fire after Okolie and Askin shat the bed. Luckily, AJ and Povetkin kind of saved it. I'd still have been disappointed if I'd gone to the expense and effort of going to the fight but watching on the telly with a takeaway, I was happy enough. 

Strong finish from Joshua after a slow start, he struggled but the power is always there and once he landed properly it was just a matter of time.

Someone needs to shut Tony Bellew up, hearing his annoying voice screaming like a cheerleader with advice during the Joshua/Povetkin fight was worse then hearing someone scratch nails across a chalkboard. Lucky enough Usyk will take care of it in November.

• Paid Members

Well, AJ found a way. Big props too him but he was in a spot of bother there wasn't he? Povetkin was finding success time and time again with those leaping hooks, i genuinely thought he'd end up knocking Joshua out. Joshua was getting into it but the punch that started the end sequence came from nowhere, great finish from there.

The cards for me were wrong though, all 3 had Joshua up, one had Joshua 5-1 up which was ludicrous. I had 4-2 Povetkin going into the 7th, possibly 3-3.

Okolie/Askin damn near ruined the entire night though, an absolute soul destroying shocker of a fight. I blame it largely on Okolie, what a lumbering mess he is. First time ive ever seen someone deducted 3 points in a fight. At one point im sure the referee seperated them for 30 seconds just to allow them to think about what they were putting the audience through. Stadium undercards can be a slog because most are there for 1 fight but this killed any atmosphere created stone cold dead until AJ's build up started.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

The cards for me were wrong though, all 3 had Joshua up, one had Joshua 5-1 up which was ludicrous. I had 4-2 Povetkin going into the 7th, possibly 3-3.

I was baffled when the 3rd round ended and the commentators were talking like it was AJ's round. Then right enough, when Froch's unofficial scorecard appeared on screen he had the 3rd for AJ 10-9. I'll have to watch the round back but I thought that was arguably Povetkin's clearest round. He caught Joshua with big clean shots at least twice that round and seemed to wobble AJ's legs momentarily on the second one. Yet AJ lands a couple of jabs to the body at the end and misses two head shots and for the commentators, that was deemed enough to cancel out Povetkin's previous success and nick the round? Bollocks. 

Of course the scorecards didn't matter in the end but it made no sense to me. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

To echo wand/Ebb, I thought the Pov was on to something, but then Joshua found that punch. It's genuinely terrifying. Have a great game plan? Cool, good luck surviving a fight with it.

I know a few folk that were calling this a bit of a banana skin for AJ, but for all the difficulty he found the punch to end it early.