Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I love a bit of Teddy 😄

It's fallen under the radar, but Groves vs Smith is this Friday in Saudi Arabia. I really hope Groves wins. I have little against Smith, but I can't stand Joe "Keith Laird" Gallagher. Groves claims his left shoulder is now "bulletproof" and that it won't fail him again. He forked out some 50k to get it fixed. Smith has hardly been convincing in his previous Super Series fights. Thus I fancy Groves to get the job done.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Fury/Wilder will be at the Staples Center in L.A.

Think i'll be getting the PPV friday. It has flown under the radar as a result of delays and landing in amongst some massive fights, its gonne be a quality fight though. Bit of Chris Eubank Jr. is always nice too.

Say what you will about Fury, but he's not messing about, is he? Two "tune ups" and against all logical advice he's going in against the generally regarded number 2/joint number 1 guy in the division.

It'll be a tough fight, but I can see him sneaking it, especially if he can look anything like the guy who stink-boxed his way to that shock win over Klitschko.

Imagine if he wins and we get AJ vs Fury next year? Fucking hell, that's a fight for the ages.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, David said:

Imagine if he wins and we get AJ vs Fury next year? Fucking hell, that's a fight for the ages.

Yeah I think he'll win this one, he seems to be the worst kind of opponent for Wilder. He's technically a better boxer than Wilder and seems to be a massive stubborn oaf that will be hard to put down, so he could take more punishment from him than others. Fury on points for me, on the basis he will be in his peak condition. Then AJ VS Fury could be fucking massive.

There's a sadistic part of me that wants to see both Fury and Warren standing centre of the ring next year in front of 85,000 shocked people with huge shit-eating grins on their faces, as AJ sits dejected in his corner after being mugged off for 12 rounds and losing on points, while Eddie Hearn cries at ringside.

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Is stink-boxed a polite way of saying smoke and mirrors?

Stink-box is are far from smoke and mirrors as it gets. With stink-box it's right there, in your face, as ugly as Phil Brooks takedown defence.

Smoke and mirrors is something you fall for maybe once, but can plan to combat it next time. Being stink-boxed is a whole new level of pain, as you know the perp could stink-box you all fucking day long if he chose to.

And you're not nearly skilled enough to stop the shitfest from taking place. It's harrowing, really.

Here are three examples of classic stink-box technique - 

tenor_zpsgxcnotvh.gif

BlFt_zpsdr3s3ame.gif

untitled-23fq8x_zps8m9xedxc.gif

Edited by David

As much as i want Fury to school Wilder im sure it wont happen. As far as i remember, no one has been out of the ring as long as Fury and put his body through what he has and come back to win the big one. 

I think if Hatton had a couple of tune ups before a big fight people would have started thinking he could have reached the top again but he wouldnt have. The body, the timing, the reflexes are not all things you can get back overnight. 

I can see Fury getting ko’d unfortunately. I hope i am wrong and Davids thoughts of Fury and Warren in the ring with the green belt does actually happen.

No matter who wins though AJ will still fight Whyte in April.  

• Paid Members

I dont care how much people want to argue it, Fury is gonna be nowhere near the form he was in for that Klitschko fight. Coming off two poor performances i just dont think hes gonna have it in the tank or have the ability to move well enough to avoid Wilder's power. He's getting KO'd.

I think Dave's stink-box thing is basically what i was getting at with smoke and mirrors originally, maybe we just have different definitions of what it meant.

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

I dont care how much people want to argue it, Fury is gonna be nowhere near the form he was in for that Klitschko fight.

In your opinion, of course. We won't know until we see him in there. 

If we're honest, his style doesn't really rely on him being physically in great shape, or a having a terrific engine. It's all down to natural talent really, as the big lug hasn't got much else apart from that beyond his size, and he'll probably still be the same size when he faces wilder.

3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

I think Dave's stink-box thing is basically what i was getting at with smoke and mirrors originally, maybe we just have different definitions of what it meant.

It was if what you meant actually wasn't smoke & mirrors.

Smoke & mirrors is, and I quote, "the obscuring or embellishing of the truth of a situation with misleading or irrelevant information."

There was nothing misleading or irrelevant about Fury's performance against Klitschko. The truth was he outboxed him and won the fight ugly.

• Paid Members

Yeh, i'll give you that then. By smoke and mirrors i meant more that he won the fight by using a lot of movement, feints and general awkwardness all whilst doing very little damage.

He's still getting KO'd by Wilder though.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeh, i'll give you that then. By smoke and mirrors i meant more that he won the fight by using a lot of movement, feints and general awkwardness all whilst doing very little damage.

He's still getting KO'd by Wilder though.

May not make any difference anyway, as AJ has said that even if Wilder loses he still wants to fight him and not Fury.

He's not as stupid as he looks, is AJ.