DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
They never followed up on it did they?

No. But that's probably for the best as it was pretty dreadful.

I did love the idea of a horror movie being set in the Underground though. Having spent loads of time in London whilst I was growing up and waiting for late night trains home in deserted tube stations, I really hoped they'd make me terrified to ever use the tube late at night ever again. They failed miserably and did a pretty bad job of making a decent horror film in the process.

• Paid Members

This is an argument that'll get dull quickly...

So I'll wade in and flesh it out a bit. I liked Juno; I really did. I consider myself to have fairly good taste in cinema and for the most part I do agree with Seven's opinion. Juno is an odd one. I've not seen it since it was in the cinema but I came away feeling happy with what I'd watched and whilst the soundtrack was saturated with Moldy Peaches, I didn't feel that it killed them. In fact, it got me listening to them again for the first time in years.

Anyway, soundtrack-wise the film started off a bit iffy. That rotoscoped intro scene just went on forever and the song choice to accompany it wasn't so great.

Aside from those two, the song choices are both good and also generic. Mott The Hoople snd The Kinks were great inclusions, even if the song choices were obvious. Bell and Sebastian worked really well, I thought. Cat Power and Sonic Youth both featured with cover versions. It was impossible to get a hold of that Sonic Youth track before the soundtrack came out so I'm hugely glad that was included.

The film tried very hard to be kinda edgy and alternative, whilst clearly being made for mainstream consumption. The soundtrack reflects well, especially with the huge amount of Moldy Peaches (and related) material present. As a whole, it works and I listened to the soundtrack countless times when it came out as my girlfriend loved it. That may have influenced how much I actually enjoyed it myself and I think being into the Peaches when I was younger probably helped a lot but it was in no way a bad soundtrack, just perhaps a little bit too obvious.

People complained about the Watchmen soundtrack for that very reason but I thought that also worked well within the confines of the subject material.

• Paid Members

District 9 makes up for all the more "anticipated" films of 2009. Halfway through this year, I was expecting any blockbusters or talked-about films to be let-downs. I had an inkling this would be different, and it didn't disappoint. I was left wanting more, but not in the sense that there wasn't enough goodness in it.

I don't know about anyone else, but at times in the beginning of the film, Wikus reminded me of the salesman from the washing machine advert who says "India?". :/

• Paid Members

I've recently had a fantastic run of good films.

The Brothers Bloom, Drag Me To Hell, District 9 and just yesterday The Hurt Locker. All were fucking awesome. I'm quite happy about it actually because literally every other new movie I have seen this year has been really really shit. I don't know what to go with next but I'm hoping it doesn't break the new trend. Gran Torino methinks.

District 9 starts great but pretty much as soon as *spoilers* he escapes the lab, it's a piece of shit. It's a shame, because I was really hooked by the first forty minutes or so.

Inglourious Basterds was a lot of fun. I was expecting - and would have, I think, preferred - more focus on the Basterds and their skylarks around Nazi France. Still good times.

Breathless. I watched this a few years ago, and loved it. I went back to it this week, hoping I hadn't just been caught up in watching one of my first 'proper' foreign films. I still loved it.

:)

Paradise Lost I and II. Already discussed this is the docs thread. I hearts Confederates.

No Country For Old Men. Inspired by the lame reaction to someone saying it wasn't so great. I enjoyed it. Javier Bardem was fantastic as an ugly bad guy. There needs to be more uncool dickheads in films. It's not the five snowflakes fapfest everyone here had such a fucking hardon about though. It's a good film, but Tommy Lee Jones' character is pretty much redundant, and his story is so clearly shoehorned in to fit the title (and, I assume, the book). There wasn't enough time to develop it, so it just came off awakward and glued on to me.

Jacob's Ladder. Again from mentions on here. Excellent.

I have the Devil's Backbone, the Damned United and...... something else I can't remember....... to watch this week.

Just watched District 9. I actually watched it in 2 parts. The first 45 minutes yesterday but had to turn it off due to an immence headache that resulted in a fit of vomiting. This was not due to the film though incidently.

Watched the remaining hour this evening and although I don't think my head trauma was a factor, I did prefer the Hollywood style of the film, although as I did want to watch the rest of the film I guess the mocumentory was enough to make me want to do just that.

I got a very strong "Starship Troppers" feel to the film (visually), and I think it was just me but when the main character swore he sounded very Scottish. Overall it was quite refeshing and very good. I'll certainly give it another watch, but in one sitting next time. I give it 4 Koala Bears out of 5.

• Paid Members
They never followed up on it did they?

No. But that's probably for the best as it was pretty dreadful.

I did love the idea of a horror movie being set in the Underground though. Having spent loads of time in London whilst I was growing up and waiting for late night trains home in deserted tube stations, I really hoped they'd make me terrified to ever use the tube late at night ever again. They failed miserably and did a pretty bad job of making a decent horror film in the process.

It was dreadful, but if Jeepers Creepers can get a second film I assume anything can.

After having a nose about I found Death Line/Raw Meat which is a London Underground based horror with cannibals and Donald Pleasence.

Might be worth a look.

Watched JFK for the first time, bloody good film, nice surprise to see Joe Pesci in it.

Interesting to see this having an interest in conspiracy theories/truth movement as this one is THE original one post Second World War exposing what was going on. So sad when somone who tries to to something for good and peace gets killed off as did Robert Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, John Lennon...

Edited by Dynamite Duane

Burn After Reading is shockingly brilliant.

Shockingly? What is so shocking about a Coen Brothers film being brilliant?

Interesting to see this having an interest in conspiracy theories/truth movement as this one is THE original one post Second World War exposing what was going on

Even Oliver Stone calls his own film a myth to counter to myth. Great film though, then again I do have a Costner Horn.

Angles & Demons.

Ahh, enjoyed, a fun little rom-com or summat.

Never read the book or owt, but had a gut instinct on Wee Ewan all the way through, was right too!

So yeah, enjoyed it, not as good as Da Vinci Code though.