DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

watched Cass last night. It was your standard football hooligan/british crime flick, lots of terrible cockney accents and violence but i actually enjoyed it. It's been a while since ive seen a movie like this, so it was abit of a change of pace. This kind of thing isn't for everyone but there is a huge audience for these kinda movies, if you liked any of the others there's no reason why you won't like this. Oh, and Frank Bruno was in it!!!

• Moderators
watched Cass last night. It was your standard football hooligan/british crime flick, lots of terrible cockney accents and violence but i actually enjoyed it. It's been a while since ive seen a movie like this, so it was abit of a change of pace. This kind of thing isn't for everyone but there is a huge audience for these kinda movies, if you liked any of the others there's no reason why you won't like this. Oh, and Frank Bruno was in it!!!

There's an incredible bit in that where Frank manages to wildly overact while simply standing by a door. No lines, he's just in the background, but you can see him thinking "I'm really standing by this door...should probably pull a bit more of a 'standing by a door' face...that's it...yeah, I'm great at this acting, just standing by a door, 'arry and that."

Girlfriends choice last night, so we watched The Strangers. Standard 00's cat and mouse hollywood horror, but with some absolutely rotten acting throughout. Not that I had high expectations, but the whole thing was a bit of a disappointment to be honest. Considering there are some periods of non-action, not enough was being done in those parts to make me feel tension. Unlike something like Funny Games, which had me awaiting more doom every two minutes.

Girlfriends choice last night, so we watched The Strangers. Standard 00's cat and mouse hollywood horror, but with some absolutely rotten acting throughout. Not that I had high expectations, but the whole thing was a bit of a disappointment to be honest. Considering there are some periods of non-action, not enough was being done in those parts to make me feel tension. Unlike something like Funny Games, which had me awaiting more doom every two minutes.

Urgh, horrible movie, hate "Dead End" movies, do my head in.

And I know, Tyler wasn't dead, not the point though.

:yinyang: The best thing in that film occours in the space of 10 seconds and it's when the guy in the suit/mask walks in behind Liv Tyler and then walks back out again. It's just a shame that they repeat the same thing about 10 more times throughout the film until your shouting at the screen "TURN AROUND FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!"

Urgh, horrible movie

Right there with you. I said this about it elsewhere.

The makers of this movie seem to think that all you need is a mask and some mystery and the movie must instantly be good. Reality check needed, as this is utter shite. No tension. No horror. No scares. No reason to care. Throw in some of the old cliches ( which are badly done at that ) and you really have no need for this movie.

The only thing I liked about The Strangers was the fact that the killers weren't superhuman stalkers (Michael Myers etc) but just 3 homicidal maniacs who decided to attack the couple purely because they "were home" at the time.

Apart from that the film is utter wank.

Started having a bit of a film week this week...

Final Destination 4. If you've seen one you've seen them all. Except its in 3D. Effects were average, acting was poor, but in 3D, hey, it was okay. Plus the leads girlfriend was a fittie. **

Stripes. Haven't seen this in years, and it hasnt aged well. Bill Murray is good value, but John Candy just feels wasted. The ending is all a bit too Police Academy for my liking. **

Dan in Real Life. Wanted to see this for a while as I much prefer Steve Carrell in more 'serious' roles. Was quite good, though I did feel that I've seen it all before. Emily Blunt was quite fun and light up the screen for her cameo. Worth a view. ***

Rachel at the Wedding. Heard great things, didn't live up to them. Anne Hathaway was good, the basic premise and opening fifteen minutes were promising but it was all downhill from there. It just felt like a load of scenes not connected thrown together for no reason. People said things, got mad, then forgave all i about 30 seconds over and over and over again. A let down. **

Have Mesrine and the Hurt Locker to watch the next couple of nights looking forward to those. As well as Straightheads, looking forward to that less so.

Recently I've seen quite a few films, I saw Inglorious Basterds at the cinema when it first came out, pretty good, too much dialogue and too dragged out for my liking. But it was okay.

At home I've watched Tron, which is stunning visually, more style over substance though.

Coraline, which is a great animated film!

and watched Pulp Fiction again on the tele, classic.

• Paid Members

Hey gashface, your avatar's too big, please change it to one that's 30kb or less. Thank you sir.

That first bit wasn't meant to sound menacing or aggressive, it's just an unfortunate consequence of choosing that screen name.