DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members
I watched Drag Me To Hell the other night. Fucking awesome. Manages to be really scary at points and also really funny too. Highly recommended to watch with a group of friends if you can.

You are kidding right? At no point is it scary, there's a fucking talking goat, the ending was straight out of the "This is so obvious how it's going to end" files and to top it all off there's no tits. How can you have a horror with no tits?

The Exorcist, Pyscho and The Omen seemed to do okay without tits.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the course of the last month I've watched all seven seasons of The Shield either on DVD or online and it's definitely one of the best TV series I've ever watched. To me it seemed like they took the best bits of stuff from shows like NYPD Blue, 24, all the various CIS variations and a little bit of The Sopranos and the result was a gripping thrill ride that's impossible to ever get bored of.

Michael Chiklis, Benito Martinez, Walter Goggins and Jay Karnes are all fantastic actors and really bring the script and characters to life.

Definitely worth checking out if you've got as much free time as I have :D

I watched District 9, apart from the stupid invasion of the Science lab it was very good. Despite bein very good however I did not enjoy it, possibly it was too good. The whole film itself is a perfect portrayal of what a disgrace the human race is and at times it really starts to hit home just how shitty we are. That is how we treated people hundreds of years ago, that is how we treated people decades ago, that it how we treated people a few years ago, that ius how we treat people now and that is how we will treat people in the future. And hell, if intelligent life did ever land on this planet, that is how they would be treated, rounded up, treated with distain and experimented on. What absolute fucking cunts we are

• Paid Members
I watched District 9, apart from the stupid invasion of the Science lab it was very good.

What the hell? The invasion of the lab was awesome!

If you're going to pick holes in it for anything, use the scene when they're back in the slum where it descends in typical Hollywood shoot-out.

• Paid Members
I watched District 9, apart from the stupid invasion of the Science lab it was very good.

What the hell? The invasion of the lab was awesome!

If you're going to pick holes in it for anything, use the scene when they're back in the slum where it descends in typical Hollywood shoot-out.

a very good hollywood shootout*

I think District 9 is very good, but I think it falls far short of the classic that many are proclaiming it as. It doesn't really know what it wants to be as it goes from grainy mockumentary to Hollywood blockbuster, presenting us with characters that are fairly one-note and other characters that change their tone at the drop of a hat. I guess it's refreshing to have a lead guy who starts out as a horrible prick (laughing at the burning of the alien young) and ultimately retains his selfish nature for the majority of his ordeal, as all too often we have protagonists who are black or white with no shades of grey, so yeah it's nice to see someone who is deeply flawed that ultimately we will end up rooting for despite their earlier actions.

However, this is tempered by cartoonish one-dimensional antagonists (the bald general, the Nigerians) and I really feel that District 9 thinks it has more depth than it actually has, and its social commentary is nowhere near as affecting as it suggests. That said, it is thoroughly entertaining, and even with all its flaws it provokes a huge reaction and invites debate, so for me it deserves to be labelled as one of the better films of the year.