DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

It doesn't really know what it wants to be as it goes from grainy mockumentary to Hollywood blockbuster

Hmm. I think in that sense it knows EXACTLY what it's doing. It starts in documentary mode as it's looking to simply give the facts initially. It kinda slowly moved into the movie mode and then stayed there, with only slight hints of documentary stuff after that.

I guess it's refreshing to have a lead guy who starts out as a horrible prick (laughing at the burning of the alien young) and ultimately retains his selfish nature for the majority of his ordeal, as all too often we have protagonists who are black or white with no shades of grey, so yeah it's nice to see someone who is deeply flawed that ultimately we will end up rooting for despite their earlier actions.

The most stunning thing about this is that this was this first guy's role in front of a camera. He was stunning in every way. Although I did end up wanting to see him get his head ripped off.

The one thing that bothered me about it was it seemed like swearing every second word when we went into movie mode.

It's not a classic. It's far from. It's a hell of a fucking ride though.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Girlfriend Experience (Steven Soderbergh, 2009) 1/5

A tedious waste of 77 minutes. Not sure what Soderbergh was trying to do here (although my guess would be he just wanted to spend a few hours with Sasha Grey) it's filmed in a similar style to MTV shit like the Hills and is remarkably uninvolving. It's fair to say Sasha Grey gave a better more interesting performance in Grand Theft Anal 11.

Still trying to decide if this or Container is the worst film i've watched all year. Terrible

Others

Los Cronocrimenes (2007) 3/5

My Sassy Girl (2001) 4/5

Rebels Of The Neon God (1992) 2/5

Loulou (1980) 3/5

Ladybird Ladybird (1994) 4/5

Sky Premieres this week are..

Saturday 12th - Friday 18th September

The Gold Retrievers

College Road Trip

Hancock

Burn After Reading

Bart Got A Room

Any thoughts on these?

Checking them out on Anytime. Liked Hancock, yeah it aint winning any Oscars or owt, but was an enjoyable watch.

About an hour into Burn After Reading, not liking it, great cast, but kinda dull.

The Gold Retrievers

College Road Trip

Hancock

Burn After Reading

Bart Got A Room

Any thoughts on these?

Not seen any of them but

The Gold Retrievers (pass)

College Road Trip (pass)

Hancock (probably worth a watch)

Burn After Reading (my sister says it's terrible but she does like Juno)

Bart Got A Room (already have this to watch. Trailer looked fun with William H Macy acting as a Eugene Levy nervous dad type. probably nothing earth shatteringly original but..)

The Gold Retrievers

College Road Trip

Hancock

Burn After Reading

Bart Got A Room

Any thoughts on these?

Not seen any of them but

The Gold Retrievers (pass)

College Road Trip (pass)

Hancock (probably worth a watch)

Burn After Reading (my sister says it's terrible but she does like Juno)

Bart Got A Room (already have this to watch. Trailer looked fun with William H Macy acting as a Eugene Levy nervous dad type. probably nothing earth shatteringly original but..)

Burn After Reading is shockingly brilliant. Watch that before anything. College Road Trip and Gold Retrievers are both shit and I thought Hancock was alright.

• Paid Members

Im trying to recall the name of a film I watched where some people were stuck on the London Underground and were chased by this hobit man type thing through an old lab with all hospital equipment.

One person gets away and it hints at what this half man chap was doing without giving it away

I watched it on TV ages ago and it was shit but I'd like to recall the name

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

Last night I watched Timecrime

Shit name, however, an enjoyable little movie. Very hard to sum up the plot, but it involves

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

a man seeing something odd going on in the woods, going to investigate, and ends up getting attacked by a nutter. He runs to the nearest building, which turns out to be a lab, and hides in what turns out to be a time machine. He travels back in time about an hour and a half, sees himself in his garden, and then tries to repeat what's happened to him to the other him so that time will even itself out. Except there's actually another him that's already done it and was leading him through it. And then things start to go wrong, so he goes back in time again to try and fix these things before the other hims cause these problems.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

It's essentially a short story that repeats itself with another layer on top, and then repeats itself taking into account the previous two layers. Sort of a cross between Back To The Future II, and Pet Cemetary.

Nice in that it's not patronising in how it explains what's happening (possibly because it's Spanish and not American), and just because it's so un-blockbuster.

Last night I watched Timecrime

Shit name, however, an enjoyable little movie. Very hard to sum up the plot, but it involves

a man seeing something odd going on in the woods, going to investigate, and ends up getting attacked by a nutter. He runs to the nearest building, which turns out to be a lab, and hides in what turns out to be a time machine. He travels back in time about an hour and a half, sees himself in his garden, and then tries to repeat what's happened to him to the other him so that time will even itself out. Except there's actually another him that's already done it and was leading him through it. And then things start to go wrong, so he goes back in time again to try and fix these things before the other hims cause these problems.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

It's essentially a short story that repeats itself with another layer on top, and then repeats itself taking into account the previous two layers. Sort of a cross between Back To The Future II, and Pet Cemetary.

Nice in that it's not patronising in how it explains what's happening (possibly because it's Spanish and not American), and just because it's so un-blockbuster.

Timecrimes is definatley worth a watch but

By the end it's just way to simplistic and not as clever as you think it will be. It's alright just not as great as i was lead to believe

[close spoiler]

");document.close();