DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I watched the last Indian Jones film the other night.

It was better than some people made out but wasn't up to the first or 3rds level for me.

The aliens as a plot was a bit underwhelming next to the others but it was a good light hearted little film with some good moments and a story that kept me interested over all. After this and Die Hard 4 I have to say I don't like them going so OTT with the computer based effects though. Just because they can do anything doesn't mean I enjoy them doing it and even though there not fully factual films they seem to be pushing my suspension of belief a bit for my liking.

Went to see Final Destination in 3D last night. Enjoyed it in the way I enjoy most FD films, but even if I'm being lenient, the acting was horrible and the dialogue was the shits. I can't see this being much fun to re-watch on DVD, but at the cinema, I would totally recommend it.

I watched Hamlet 2 last night. I've been wanting to see it for quite a while as I'm a big fan of Steve Coogan. It's basically about a failed actor turned drama teacher who puts on pathetically bad plays based on popular movies. He learns that due to school budget cuts his drama class has been axed and he's to put on one final play, but of his own material this time, a sequel to Shakespears Hamlet.

And it's a pretty crap film.

Coogan puts on a simply awful American accent which just seems stupid and really made me dislike the film more. It's just shockingly bad. There's a few decent laughs along the way but nothing consistantly funny. A couple of funny songs in the play itself at the end, such as "Rock Me Sexy Jesus", leave you at least smiling a bit and not thinking the film was complete trash, but ultimatly it was very disappointing.

• Paid Members
Went to see Final Destination in 3D last night. Enjoyed it in the way I enjoy most FD films, but even if I'm being lenient, the acting was horrible and the dialogue was the shits. I can't see this being much fun to re-watch on DVD, but at the cinema, I would totally recommend it.

The lead actor is absolutely abysmal. So, so bad. It's a fun spectacle in 3D but it really is the shoddiest Final Destination yet . Like NEWM though, I'd recommend seeing it at the cinema with the awesome glasses.

I watched Hamlet 2 last night. I've been wanting to see it for quite a while as I'm a big fan of Steve Coogan. It's basically about a failed actor turned drama teacher who puts on pathetically bad plays based on popular movies. He learns that due to school budget cuts his drama class has been axed and he's to put on one final play, but of his own material this time, a sequel to Shakespears Hamlet.

Coogan puts on a simply awful American accent which just seems stupid and really made me dislike the film more. It's just shockingly bad. There's a few decent laughs along the way but nothing consistantly funny. A couple of funny songs in the play itself at the end, such as "Rock Me Sexy Jesus", leave you at least smiling a bit and not thinking the film was complete trash, but ultimatly it was very disappointing.

I'm a big Steve Coogan fan too, but he's got a bit of a reverse midas touch with films. This, The Parole Officer, Phileas Fogg, all fucking terrible. His bit part in Tropic Thunder was okay, but it was a bit part and never went anywhere. A Cock & Bull Story was as good as it got, and so much of that was snarky in-jokes and nods to fans, so of course you would get some enjoyment. I think he's a far less flexible performer when he's not playing something he has complete control over.

EDIT: Just remembered 24 Hour Party People, he was great in that. That's one.

Edited by NEWM

I'm a big Steve Coogan fan too, but he's got a bit of a reverse midas touch with films. This, The Parole Officer, Phileas Fogg, all fucking terrible. His bit part in Tropic Thunder was okay, but it was a bit part and never went anywhere. A Cock & Bull Story was as good as it got, and so much of that was snarky in-jokes and nods to fans, so of course you would get some enjoyment. I think he's a far less flexible performer when he's not playing something he has complete control over.

Yeah I'd agree with that, films don't seem to suit him really. Although, I'll be first in line if/when the Partridge movie hits cinemas. He's quite big in America apparently, so we can probably expect more shitty films.

Just found out I'm potentially going to see Fish Tank and Away We Go this weekend. What a great couple of days for films that could be. DVD with the other half tonight too, my choice and I've just acquired a decent copy of it, so she's getting Moon and fucking liking it. I've been wanting to see it for a while.

• Paid Members

Sky Premieres this evening are...

Saturday 19th - Friday 25th September

The Jerk Theory

The Accidental Husband

Disaster Movie

Bangkok Dangerous

Outpost

Any opinions on these tip-top-titles?

Edited by bAzTNM#1

The Jerk Theory

The Accidental Husband

Disaster Movie

Bangkok Dangerous

Outpost

Looks like the worst premiers they had in a long while. skip them and watch Son Of Rambow on Family followed by Magnolia on indie or South Park on Screen 1.

Last watched the unbelievably dull Antichrist and the suprisingly great Bronson.

The Jerk Theory

The Accidental Husband

Disaster Movie

Bangkok Dangerous

Outpost

Looks like the worst premiers they had in a long while. skip them and watch Son Of Rambow on Family followed by Magnolia on indie or South Park on Screen 1.

Last watched the unbelievably dull Antichrist and the suprisingly great Bronson.

Bronson is really great.