DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

I quite liked it. It was basically a feature length episode of the series, rather than a big-ass canonical film, but the relationship between the two characters is so well written that I was drawn in. Having kind of zoned out of the last few seasons, I didn't realise that they were actually in a proper relationship, so that was sweet.

I have to say I don't think it'll revive interest in a new series though, which apparently was the concept behind it.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a pretty much die-hard X Files fan during the show itself, I was dreading watching the movie after such shit reviews everywhere.

However I really didn't find it as bad as people said it was. Granted it was nowhere near classic X Files, but there was just something oddly enjoyable about it.

Have to agree that it didn't really do them any favours in terms of encouraging something X Files related in future, although the 3rd movie seems like it might happen, and it'll be more mythology based around the 2012 stuff. I wouldn't mind that, but they'd need to get EVERYONE back.

• Paid Members
You know, despite what many on here think, I have a heart and thus can appreciate a good rom-com from time to time. Take Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist for example, a film I expected to despise as it had Michael Cera doing his usual awkward schtick and a female lead who just so apathetically cool like that hateful cunt from Juno, mix in some stock characters (gay best friend, drunk best friend, hot ex-girlfriend) and layer in a hip soundtrack and you have all the ingredients for a film that should have made my blood boil. However, I was completely won over by it and found it irresistably sweet and funny.

I bought this purely on the fact that it melted your icy heart. I watched it last night and came on here to write something, but thought I'd find your quote first. I would have written exactly what you said. I had horrible fears it would veer Juno-wards but you end up totally in favour of them getting it together.

It helps that Kat Dennings is infinitely more likeable than Ellen Paige (prettier and far more natural in the role in my view as well) and that the witty and hip dialogue isn't nearly as contrived as Juno's self-aware horrorshow. I like that she makes really dorky attempts at humour and then over-explains them and has other little foibles that actually humanise her in stark contrast with Juno's ludicrously smug "sassy" persona. There's a DVD extra where Kat Dennings performs a puppet show summarising the film and incorporating sporadic bear attacks that leads me to believe/hope that she's a little bit similar to her character in reality. Tragic I know.

Oh, and Michael Cera gets some good dialogue and is funny and charming in between bouts of awkwardness, whereas in Superbad and Juno he's just the quintessential "nice guy". Not a "nice guy" who is awesome but gets overlooked because women like dickheads, but the "nice guy" who is really fucking boring and spineless and gets overlooked because he is not interesting at all.

Also,

I mention this a lot, but my dream is to live in a 24hr city and go and meet someone at one of those coffee shops at 3 in the morning to talk about life and junk. I watch too many rom-coms I know. My favourite feature of my recent Mallorca holiday was that so many things were still open and alive all night. You could start wandering and exploring at midnight and not find yourself in a ghost town a few hours later.

This movie epitomises that dream. They stay up all night, there's a restaurant trip at 3AM, they all roam about city listening to cool music in a shit-heap of a car and at times a big van and it's all just great and makes me smile. Also it makes me jealous and bitter.

His gay best friends have some stereotypical queenie moments but they're generally likeable and it also plants this idea that a gay couple would be amazing wingmen. The Chinese dude in particular I'd want to be my friend.

It hits a lot of what Juno was going for without trying half as hard, Kat Dennings should be in more things (I only recall seeing her as the daughter in the 40 year old virgin before this) and it seems that I need to find a gay best friend.

Back when I first mentioned my late night rom-com viewing on this here forum, I suggested that my goal was to find films that offered a warm and comforting embrace to send me off to sleep. During my journey through romcomopolis, I have found films that 100% achieve this (Mean Girls), films that make me smirk and allow me to switch off my brain whilst generally liking the people involved (Hitch), films that make me hate the people involved (Legally Blonde 2) and films that make me HATE EVERYTHING (What happens in Vegas, The Family Stone, Serving Sara). Nick and Norah... falls into the first category and will enter the rotation of regular dozing off viewing for the forseeable future.

For this Chuckles, I thank you.

• Paid Members
Kat Dennings should be in more things (I only recall seeing her as the daughter in the 40 year old virgin before this)

She should indeed. I saw her for the first time in Raising Dad when she was in her late teens, and it was clear back then she had a load of talent, especially with comedy - her delivery is great. The fact that she's also rather classically beautiful doesn't hurt either. She's pretty good at playing the bitch, too - I saw a clip of her in an episode of Sex In The City, and she did well with the little she got.

Good arrows JLM, I salute you. My friends don't get my love for Nick & Norah, mocking my lack of manliness, meanwhile one of them has watched Twilight four times. Go figure.

I went to The Hurt Locker last night and I'm not sure I'll see a better film this year.

Edited by Mr. Seven

I went to The Hurt Locker last night and I'm not sure I'll see a better film this year.

Seeing it at the weekend! Have you seen the Mesrine films yet? My brother went to see the first and loved it so those will be on my upcoming list.

You're a rom-com man, JLM, so what are your views on "The Ex" and "Just Friends"? Any good?

You didn't ask me, but I'm chiming in on "The Ex", because it boiled me a bit at the time. Here's my bile from this very thread:

Forgot to post in my Marley rage, but also watched The Ex, a nothing romcom with Zach Twat from Scrubs, Amanda Peet and Jason Bateman. It's a rudderless, spineless effort with very little worth remembering, but Jason Batemen was excellent, I mean, a complete dick, and really deserved better from the director for his performance. The whole film just felt like a waste of everybody's time. Paul Rudd's turn as a dickhead boss was a pleasant surprise, but other that, it's just not worth it.

But watch it anyway. I've never heard anybody else ever comment on it and am curious to see if it's just me. Marley & Me had put me in such a bad mood anyway, maybe I was harsh.

• Paid Members

Seeing it at the weekend! Have you seen the Mesrine films yet? My brother went to see the first and loved it so those will be on my upcoming list.

My mate and I have been waiting for both movies to come out - we're going to see the double bill either later this week, or middle of next week. Vincent Cassel is the fucking man.

My mate and I have been waiting for both movies to come out - we're going to see the double bill either later this week, or middle of next week. Vincent Cassel is the fucking man.

That does indeed sound like the sex. Isn't the great man banging Monica Bellucci as well? He is the fucking man and, like Seven, I am gay for him.

He's married to the lovely lady, but apparently they live in seperate countries or something. What an utter legend he is. Also, I was listening to the Mark Kermode show the other day (annoyingly-voiced and rubbish critic Andrew Collins sat in for him) and Jason Isaacs was a guest, and at one point revealed he's a huge fan of Cassel, remarking that he "raped his wife for about 15 minutes in that film Irreversible", which isn't actually true so I'm guessing Jase didn't actually see the movie and quickly scanned a Wikipedia synopsis of it. Faux-pas Jason!

So I saw Inglorious Basterds last night, and in the nicest possible way it was a bit rubbish. It was a little bit like watching tv with someone who keeps changing the channel. You get 10 minutes of serious character development and beautiful acting, then a 1 minute flash of gratuitious violence, then a bit of a soft rock video, then some poor comedy, then some more acting.

Tarantino is at his best for me when he chooses a genre and sticks to it. Not to say he can't break out his trademark visual style, but stick to one overall tone. Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, Death Proof are like this. At his worst, he's like a director with ADT, making clanging great jumps from one thing to another, and ends up not doing any very well. Inglorious Basterds wasn't very funny, there wasn't really enough action or war stuff, and whilst you had some sublime acting and characterisation (Christop Waltz) it then felt wrong to have wafer-thin schlock acting like Pitt was doing. The scenes with the two of them just made Pitt look like a shit actor, which he's not (all the time).

The first scene made me think I was in for the best Tarantino film ever; in the end I think it was the most disappointing. I was hoping for Into The Eagles Nest, men on a mission. What I got was an overlong, indulgent film that wanted you to laugh at Nazis, but take its themes of revenge seriously. Oh, and it was set in an alternative 2nd World War. Riiiight.