DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

Went to see The Final Destination last night. I chuckled at some bits, I winced at some bits, however....

Stupid woman behind the counter took so long trying to figure out how to book us in, and then frattering about deciding whther or not to get the manager to help her, and then going to get the manager to help her, that the 3D version sold out while we were stood at the desk.

With nothing else on (apart from 500 days of generic romcom jokes and crying), we went to see the 2D version. Height and width. We didn't get to choose which two dimensions.

Firstly, this film is so obviously meant to be in 3D. Everything is shot so that it has exaggerated perspective and things whooshing toward the camera.

Secondly, the film has no plot whatsoever. Bloke has a vision that him and his mates will die. They leave and don't die. Then they die in amusing and creative ways. That's it. The end is fucking shit.

I might pop by on cheap night next week, and if it's not packed then I'll give the 3D version a shot.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to The Hurt Locker last night and I'm not sure I'll see a better film this year.

My brother-in-law has given me another movie she directed, Point Break, and I'm wondering if that's any good.

He also tried to push Hannibal Rising on me though, so I don't think he likes me.

• Paid Members
Secondly, the film has no plot whatsoever. Bloke has a vision that him and his mates will die. They leave and don't die. Then they die in amusing and creative ways. That's it. The end is fucking shit.

That sums up every Final Destination film for me. So shit in the plot and acting department It wound up being one of those films that actually made me laugh quite a bit with how stupid, contrived and poorly done they were.

• Paid Members
My brother-in-law has given me another movie she directed, Point Break, and I'm wondering if that's any good.

It isn't. It could have been, but it has Keanu Reeves in it unfortunately.

• Paid Members
I went to The Hurt Locker last night and I'm not sure I'll see a better film this year.

It's an incredibly over the top dumb action movie and quite funny and memorable too. It has Keanu Reeves in full on "dude" mode, Patric Swayze hamming it up as a bank robbing surfer looking for the perfect adrenaline rush and Gary Busey (nuff said). Lots of people including me would give it a solid thumbs up. It has Keanue Reeves chasing a bad guy who just parachuted by jumping out of the same plane and catching up to him in mid air. Good stuff.

That sums up every Final Destination film for me. So shit in the plot and acting department It wound up being one of those films that actually made me laugh quite a bit with how stupid, contrived and poorly done they were.

Final Destination films are like Road Runner cartoons, with the protagonists being Wile E. Coyote. We all know what is going to happen, we just hope for a laugh when it does.

Final Destination films are like Road Runner cartoons, with the protagonists being Wile E. Coyote. We all know what is going to happen, we just hope for a laugh when it does.

That's how I see it as well. I actually went to see Final Destination 3 in the cinema. Didn't expect a great movie but DID expect some right good fun from it, and a couple of deaths ( the head squash in particular ) were absolutely hilarious. People falling from the rollercoaster and belting off of things on the way down was also good fun. Some of the acting was actually horrific too and only added to the laughter.

That was a worthwhile night out !

• Paid Members

Final Destination 2 is brilliant. Surprisingly clever and thoroughly entertaining. 3 was dire, 4's about on a par with that. The 3d in the first half hour or so is tremendous, though.

Not long got back from the midnight showing of District 9. I don't use these words lightly but I was blown away by it. I've never seen anything like it before; I thought the mockmentuary bits would spoil it for me but they work well. The protagonist goes from a smarmy git the a gradual hero. There's various themes that are involved in enough depth that you get the point without it being preachy.

Most astoundingly, the effects are stunning & as close to seamless as I've seen recently. On a budget of $30mil that's a huge achievement. Especially given a trailer for Whiteout was shown prior with cgi so bad it's inexcusable in this day and age.

Overall, i'd say it's a triumph. It ticked all the boxes that T4 and Transformers 2 didn't. Third act was a bit lacking I at no poin felt let down by it.

• Paid Members

Sorry, did I not make it sound that good? I could have sworn I was quite positive about it, and everything...

Edit: Actually, I will give this post some substance but it might be a bit of a spoiler so I'll tag it.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

You know that bit in the trailer where they're interviewing one of the aliens to find out how their technology works and it says "All we want is to just go home"? Well, unless I nodded off, that bit's not in the film at all and I'd say that actually kinda detracts from the story as it would have added the other facet to it in that instead of helping the aliens get home, the humans are more concerned about keeping them there in order to understand their technology. I know that's still sort of hinted at but just including the extended scene of what's in the trailer would have done a lot more towards that direction.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Still, the film's great. Go see it.

Edited by elegia

• Paid Members

Ohh yeah, definatly. Thats why I hold a small soft spot for them. There shit, I know it but I will always have a go at watching them if theres not much on just for the laugh of it.

I think its the same type of thing that tempts me to get Maximum Overdrive.

While i'm here I was looking into getting some of the Cheech and Chong stuff. Any one care to share any thoughts one way or another.

• Paid Members

who watched Cocktail the other night? a guilty pleasure of mine, Bryan Brown, Elisabeth Shue stripping in a waterfall & a great soundtrack. I always bang it in once every two years or so and it's always great.

I also saw Inglorious Basterds and fuck all the haters, i thought it was superb. Christoph Waltz deserves an oscar, i don't think i've enjoyed a 'badguy' performance as much since Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men. It was a weird movie but i had a blast watching it.

Gonna go see District 9 next week :)

• Paid Members
I think its the same type of thing that tempts me to get Maximum Overdrive.

Maximum Overdrive is fucking marvellous. They used to show it about every year on Channel 4 on a Friday night. I watch it whenever I see it on, which is rare these days.