DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members
sorry to reverse the thread a bit but is anyone looking forward to Tron 2?

Fucking am. Going to make the effort to go see this in IMAX 3D, so that the spectacle will mask any shortfallings in my unmatchable expectations.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:yinyang: I went to see Shorts the other day as i'm a big fan of Robert Rodriguez and i really enjoyed it. The kids in the film were funny and actually played their parts well and I think the film really benefited from having an excellent supporting cast of adults like Jon Cryer(the other guy that isn't Charlie Sheen in Two and a half men), Leslie Mann and William H Macy who is on excellent form in this.

This is why i like Robert Rodriguez because not only can he do great adult movies like Sin City and From Dusk Till Dawn but he also does great kids films like Spy Kids and Shorts.

Watched The Devil Dared Me To last night on ITV 'something'

New Zealand shot film about a crazy stuntman and his desire to jump a car between the South and North Islands. shot on what seem like a Micro budget, it had great coemedy 'bad' special effects and cack cgi, but showed the workings of the stunt business. Lots of irrelevent gore and a one legged Stunt women.

AS seen as we arent going to get Hooper on an R2 DVD release anytime soon/ever, I heartly recommend the film. It doesnt take its self too seriously, parodies pretty much everything and is a good laugh. I missed the first 20 mins but still had enough to drag me in. The film even had a blooper/extended stunt real over the credits ala Hooper.. what more could you want?

BRUNO - 8.5/10

I thought this was hilarious I havent laughed as much at 1 film for a long time, it might not be to every ones tastes...

I take it that you got the R5 released last night? ;)

Yep, I totally agree. Bruno is fantastic. It definitely is more explicit and crude than Borat, but I think it all works very well with the type of film it is and how the comedy arises.

Borat, for me, is on a level that I wouldn't place many other films on. Bruno isn't too far behind.

Edited by Vice

Watched Antichrist last night and found it to be quite a decent film albeit slightly pretentious. I found a lot of the graphic moments that caused it the controversy to be quite gratuitous and subtlety wouldn't have done it any harm. It became a very psychologically disturbing film towards the end and I did think in their own right, Dafoe and Gainsbourg presented great performances.

For those familiar with Von Trier's other movies maybe you can explain to me (as I've heard it happens a lot in his movies) what is with the constant slow motion moments that would occur every few minutes.

• Paid Members

Bought these Dvds recently;

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

DOOM

Blades Of Glory

Dan In Real Life

Rocket Science

Going on a CEX Dvd hunt tomorrow so i'll update the list. I've seen DOOM and Blades of Glory, what are everyone's thoughts on the others? Any good?

G-Force. Better action sequences than the last Bond film.

:yinyang: And the last Transformers movie.

I'm going to see Funny People tonight, i'm looking foward to it although a few people i've spoken too who've already seen have said it was quite hit and miss but i always like to draw my own conclusions so it hasn't put me off seeing it

Had a spate of dvds recently and just finished watching them all.

Frost/Nixon - wonderful film. I wasn't so sure about it because of the back story and my percieved notion of David Frost, but it was a quality film done in that Ron Howard way i love. Sheen was nothing short of brilliant as was Langella, proper legends.

Get Smart - it was pretty good, i found it nice in that old school way but with a few good gags and fun characters. Carrell is very likable in these roles and the Rock was good if not predictable as the inside man. Plus, i didn't fast forward the Great Khali fighting, which might be a first.

The Good The Bad The Weird - I need more korean/eastern films in my collection. A great movie which i loved as much as anything i've seen. The characters were quality, the story was fun and made some sense, and the fight sequences are great. Really recommend it if you haven't seen it yet.

I'm going to see Funny People tonight, i'm looking foward to it although a few people i've spoken too who've already seen have said it was quite hit and miss but i always like to draw my own conclusions so it hasn't put me off seeing it

The trailers made it look the fucking pits.

I went to see Funny People yesterday. I knew quite a bit about the concept of the film before I saw it so I knew what to expect, its more of a comedic drama than a dramatic comedy if you know what I mean. I did enjoy it though, and while I probably won't be in a hurry to watch it again it was a decent film and worth a watch. I think because you see it has Sandler and Rogan in it and its an Apatow film, people will be expecting that 40 Year Old Virgin style comedy which it really isn't, so I imagine that that will make people dislike it and I can see why.

• Paid Members

Well in Click Adam Sanderler had a remote control that could stop time, in Funny People he has cancer.

I just watched The Brothers Bloom. It's from the director of Brick (which I loved) but is nothing really like that film. It's fucking brilliant. Genuinely sweet, funny, charming and original. The film I have most enjoyed seeing since probably No Country For Old Men. It has Adrian Brody, Mark Ruffalo and the spectactular Rachel Weisz in it and they all kick arse. I've been a bit down on films for awhile now as pretty much every new film of the past 3 years (barring one or two) has been absolute shite in my opinion and something like this was just what I needed. Cannot recommend this enough.

• Paid Members

Me, and Mumzie, watched that new X-Files film on Sky Premiere yesterday. Absolutely appalling. Quite shocked how shit it actually was, as I had quite looked forward to it.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

It was more of a standard murder-mystery, than anything to do with Science-Fiction. I also couldn't take Billy Connolly seriously as the paedophile priest. Terrible.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by bAzTNM

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

It was more of a standard murder-mystery, than anything to do with Science-Fiction. I also couldn't take Billy Connolly seriously as the paedophile priest. Terrible.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Suddenly I want to see this film. He was BORN for that role, in my opinion. In fact, I would like so much for that to be true in real life, I don't even need to suspend my disbelief!