Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted March 5 Paid Members Posted March 5 I proper enjoyed Thunder Rosa doing (really bad) warm up punches while throwing looks at Stat like a kid showing karate moves in front of his mum. 'Look what I learnt mummy, Im a ninja'. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted March 5 Paid Members Posted March 5 My main takeaway from this episode is that, while I like characters on a wrestling show to feel like they exist outside of their own feuds, this week it felt like nobody could remember who they're feuding with. FTR getting mixed up with Tomasso Ciampa, interrupting a promo where Ciampa's talking about Kyle Fletcher, who earlier in the show got involved with Jet Set Rodeo, who are feuding with MJF, on behalf of a faction who are feuding with the Death Riders. There was a point in the War Dogs tag where Tony Schiavone talked about what a force they're proving to be since arriving in AEW. They haven't won a singles match! Clark Connors has lost every match he's had in AEW, all of them to at least one of the two blokes he was wrestling on this show. And then they still lost. Yes, Dave Finlay then showed up, looking more like his dad every day, but why should I care about this group when they keep losing, and keep getting outsmarted by Darby Allin? It's some of the most "tell, don't show" stuff I've seen from AEW in years. And there's two dozen blokes in the Conglomeration, and other babyfaces who knock about with them when they feel like it, and not one of them felt up to coming out to try and save Orange Cassidy from getting battered? Who'd have friends, eh? Good main event, and Jet Set Rodeo weren't doing anything with the belts - there were missed opportunities for stories to be told there, but when aren't there? - but it feels almost laser-focused at annoying me to get the Trios Titles off of a team of a singles champion and his two mates and on to two singles champions and their one mate. At least Mark Davis was the one to get the pin. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted March 5 Paid Members Posted March 5 Come on @BomberPat, you helping your mate out if a Finley is holding a shillelagh? Sod that! Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted March 6 Author Paid Members Posted March 6 A very pedestrian episode of Dynamite, AEW seems to be struggling to do anything exciting from a story perspective right now, which is a shame given that the opportunity is clearly there to do so. Swerve turning heel should feel bigger than it does. I like Brody King a lot, but Swerve feuding with him over who deserves to be called ‘the most dangerous’ person in the company is a weak way to begin a heel run of one of your biggest stars. Nana’s constant cartoon-villain style laugh doesn’t really fit with Swerve’s menacing character either, I’m not a huge fan of that. Talking of heel turns, I’d like to see what Kevin Knight has to offer as a bad guy. He came across a bit arrogant during his promo last week, and I think that could translate well into a heel character. I’d really like to see AEW do something a bit unexpected some time, and run a title match such as MJF/Swerve, and actually have the challenger win. You could still treat it in the same way - have it open a show, act like it’s a secondary challenger, then go with the upset win. Ultimately, I’d like to see them take a few more creative risks and try new things. The wrestling is good, but the stories are weak right now. Also, the vast majority of title belts can fuck off. They are spoiling stories for me as AEW tends, at the moment, to default to plots being based around people challenging for a belt. It feels very repetitive. Title wins should feel important due to the scarcity of titles, but that’s certainly not an issue in AEW right now. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 6 Paid Members Posted March 6 2 hours ago, RedTwoster said: Talking of heel turns, I’d like to see what Kevin Knight has to offer as a bad guy. He came across a bit arrogant during his promo last week, and I think that could translate well into a heel character. I think both Knight and Bailey have a good heel run in them. Bailey in particular has an incredibly punchable face. Quote
Paid Members Kamran Posted March 7 Paid Members Posted March 7 Coming up on Collision this week: Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted March 8 Paid Members Posted March 8 (edited) Ciampa hit Briscoe with the Gargano Stage! Is it symbolic?! I reckon Tony Khan is an even bigger fan of NXT Black and Gold than Hunter himself. Adam Rose has missed a trick if he hasn’t put the feelers out about coming in. Edited March 8 by Supremo Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted March 8 Author Paid Members Posted March 8 The Swerve/Knight interaction interested me. I’ve been thinking that Knight could make an excellent heel, and there’s really no one better to learn your craft as a heel from than Strickland. An alliance could be the making of him. Where’s Max Caster? I’d have thought the stuff with Hook was leading to The Opps vs The Acclaimed, but Caster has totally disappeared. Is his contract ending and he’s turned down a renewal? I could see him doing well in WWE, so I’d understand that decision if it’s what’s happening. Thekla isn’t working for me as champion. She feels like a work in progress and that’s not what you want as your world champion. There’s something there for sure, but it’s not fully-formed just yet. I hate tag matches for money if there’s no storyline reason for it. It’s an attempt at adding stakes when there aren’t any, but if it leads to nothing, why should anyone care? Quote
Chili Posted March 8 Posted March 8 Didn't watch, it's not that it's a bad promotion. There just isn't enough going on that I'm mustering an interest in beyond good matches. And I think I'm over things just being good. I need things around it and AEW don't really provide that at the moment. I'll read results and probably dive back in when Hangman starts another arc or something. Or they try giving the Trios belts to a trio where someone already doesn't have a belt. It's all so unfortunately predictably lifeless at the moment for me. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted March 8 Author Paid Members Posted March 8 2 hours ago, Chili said: Didn't watch, it's not that it's a bad promotion. There just isn't enough going on that I'm mustering an interest in beyond good matches. And I think I'm over things just being good. I need things around it and AEW don't really provide that at the moment. I'll read results and probably dive back in when Hangman starts another arc or something. Or they try giving the Trios belts to a trio where someone already doesn't have a belt. It's all so unfortunately predictably lifeless at the moment for me. Pretty much sums up how I feel. Collision is a great Sunday morning show, but virtually no one has momentum, despite it being arguably the most talented roster ever assembled. I’m hoping it’ll get interesting again post-Revolution, when whatever they have planned with Hangman takes effect. I’m hoping for a stable consisting of MJF, Swerve and Hangman, with Ospreay eventually returning to bring them down. Quote
Chili Posted March 8 Posted March 8 12 minutes ago, RedTwoster said: I’m hoping for a stable consisting of MJF, Swerve and Hangman, with Ospreay eventually returning to bring them down. What's your idea behind that because it sounds awful/weird unless their would be some interesting logic behind it. Quote
Paid Members Statto Posted March 8 Paid Members Posted March 8 (edited) My favourite part of Collision was the security lads spending 60 seconds making a hubbub clearly just off camera before finally deciding to try to break up the Babes/Goddesses brawl. I hope Claudio drops the CMLL belt soon, if that's what it takes to stop him wearing that mask to the ring. Edit: oh yeah, the worst part of the show was Gabe Kidd shouting "I'm a madman, me" or something like that before hitting the piledriver. Fuck off mate. Edited March 8 by Statto Show, don't shout out loud. Quote
Chili Posted March 8 Posted March 8 Gabe Kidd is Kill Crazy from Red Dwarf VIII, with equal levels of acting and realism. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted March 8 Author Paid Members Posted March 8 52 minutes ago, Chili said: What's your idea behind that because it sounds awful/weird unless there would be some interesting logic behind it. Firstly, Swerve and Hangman patched things up - and in spite of his friendship with Kenny, Page did nothing when Strickland turned. That in itself is interesting. Then you have Hangman telling MJF he was the most similar person to him on the roster because they both had insecurities - and Hangman doing a Cody with the World title. Finally, you have the fact that Ospreay teamed up with Swerve to take down the Death Riders for Hangman. All of this seems very deliberate to me. You could have Hangman lose, and MJF offer him a lifeline - Page said they were similar, so join him. Help him remain champion and his championship hopes could live on through MJF. Or you could have MJF say the stipulation doesn’t have to stick - all Page needs to do is team up with him. It doesn’t take much from there to add Swerve to the group and have - for the first time in AEW - a stable of main event heels, designed to give Ospreay something to knock down, after teaming with two of them just one year prior. There’s absolutely logic to it - and it gives MJF something more interesting to sink his teeth into too; right now he very much feels like he’s incomplete and lacking direction. Quote
The King Of Swing Posted March 8 Posted March 8 Just seen that The Acclaimed are scheduled for a House of Glory show. Seriously WTF is going on with them in AEW? Did Max erase TK's, TEW saves, or something? *Disclaimer. I haven't watched Collision yet so if they appear on there, then ignore me. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.