I've Never Seen Starwars

I’m similar in that the more I hear something being hyped the less likely I am to watch it.

If I like the premise of the show I will still watch it at some time, like at the moment the wife and I are currently watching Mindhunter (which finished 5 years ago), but far too often nowadays a show comes along that get labelled the greatest thing to have ever existed, only to have get completely forgotten about 6 months later after a couple of other shows/films have been called the greatest thing to have ever existed.

I did try with Peaky Blinders but tapped out at the end of the second series because it’s shite

• Paid Members

I'm convinced that Peaky Blinders was funded by barbers and milliners to increase there business because I can see no other reason for it. Still Ian Murphy is a great actor because if you told me that a Cork lad would have such an influence on fashion for twats I wouldn't have believed you. Steven Knight should stick to creating worldwide gameshows and keep his filthy mitts out of writing. 

• Members

I'm sure we've had this discussion loads but yeah I'm the same and I don't like "You must watch/read/listen to..." as no I don't. 

It doesn't actively put me off watching something, but I doubt I'll be on my deathbed wishing I'd got round to watching The West Wing.

The exception to the rule is of course The Sopranos.

And on the subject of things we all watched too young, my parents didn't really care too much but my Dad lost the plot with my sisters when they let me watch Scum, probably aged 8 or 9, which is fair enough.

• Paid Members

The only bits from horror films that genuinely unnerved me were a couple of scenes in Repulsion and when Sean gets his arm bitten off in Jaws: The Revenge. Say what you want about that film (all derogatory) but that was an impressively nasty scene.

I was absolutely pathetic when I was a young kid when it came to horror. 

I can remember seeing a bit of Jason Goes to Hell / The Final Friday. Around the same time I played Splatterhouse at a neighbours house. 

This was enough for me to not sleep properly for a very long time. Utter madness. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I'm convinced that Peaky Blinders was funded by barbers and milliners to increase there business because I can see no other reason for it. 

I know I'm saying this as someone who has had an undercut of some description more often than not for 10+ years, and has had all manner of daft self-inflicted hairstyles, but I remember being sat in my mate's bar as a bunch of dickheads with bad fades were being obnoxious, turning to him behind the bar, and saying, "Peaky Blinders has a lot to answer for". 

I once saw someone say that it's a show about an overtly antifascist gang, yet the only message half its fanbase have taken from it is, "I bet I'd look good in a flat cap", and they were even wrong about that.

I used to wear a lot of tweed and waistcoats, and that whole look is probably still my favourite aesthetic, but I largely stopped wearing it because I stubbornly didn't want people to think I was trying to do a Peaky Blinders thing, which I know says more about me than the show, but still. 

• Paid Members

I enjoyed The West Wing, but it's very self-fellating in terms of American politics ("See how great we are? We even have the self-awareness to know why so many other countries have a problem with us!").

Need to re-watch The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover - I remember enjoying it, but my memory's so shit, all I remember now is Greenaway's use of repetition.

• Moderators

I was never a horror fan either, coming back to the thread title, I refused to go in a store once because there was someone dressed up as Darth Vader and I was scared shitless. Ghost Watch absolutely did me in as a kid. Taped Nightmare on Elm St off Channel 4 and could only watch 15 minutes of it...during the fucking day!

Nightmare on Elm St is a funny one though, because watching it now is just a masterclass in "How on earth was I scared of this?".

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, neil said:

I was never a horror fan either, coming back to the thread title, I refused to go in a store once because there was someone dressed up as Darth Vader and I was scared shitless.

I "met" Darth Vader at Disneyland Paris about 3 years ago. I didn't think much of it, until he called me in and I was soon scared by him, as an adult.

Ghost Watch is a good shout, I missed it so by the time I knew anything about it was in the newspapers saying it was all pretend so it was ruined. I can only imagine how scary it was watching live though.

All I know about Peaky "Fookin" Blinders is the middle aged dads who went to the school of LIFE and HARD KNOCKZ who post memes with Shelby smoking with things like "I only trust me, And my own" and bollocks like that. The Male version of Minion memes.

20 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

All I know about Peaky "Fookin" Blinders is the middle aged dads who went to the school of LIFE and HARD KNOCKZ who post memes with Shelby smoking with things like "I only trust me, And my own" and bollocks like that. The Male version of Minion memes.

It also led to a lot of people who claim to like Nick Cave, by which they mean they like ‘Red Right Hand’. Stick on ‘Loverman’ and see how much they like him then

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I prefer Friday the 13th as a franchise but I think it only starts getting good at 4 when it stops taking itself seriously.

Friday The 13th Part 5 is one of my favourite films ever. It's hilariously bad, sleazy and just completely mental. Every scene has something completely bonkers in one way or another worth discussing.