Wrestlemania London?

RedRooster

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It probably means he’ll give him ringside for Clash at the Castle so they can show him on camera, just like Chris Tarrent and Vinnie Jones back in the day. The boos would be immense.

I’m not sure they would be. It’s in Scotland, very few people here have reason to have any sort of opinion on him. 

22 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Was that during the Zero Hour? We only got into are seats as the Tag match was starting so missed a lot of that stuff before and had no recollection of that 

Yea, I’m sure she advertised at least twice

26 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I’m not sure they would be. It’s in Scotland, very few people here have reason to have any sort of opinion on him. 

We’ll boo any politician here, we even hate the ones we vote for.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, simonworden said:

Count Binface is the only candidate who could truly pull off Wrestlemania in London. 

I reckon Screaming Lord Sutch of the Monster Raving Loony Party could have done it, but as he’s in a spot of legal trouble we’ll just have to hope his son in law, Triple H pulls it off.

I think everyone may be reading a little too much into this. I'm not saying it's an impossibility, but Wrestlemania just generates far too much money for US cities. As we know they actively bid for it because of the amount of revenue it generates. I can't see London throwing that sort of money at it. 

London has a large number of hotels, but nowhere near the amount that US cities have. I regularly travel to the US for work and I see new hotels being built all the time. It interested me as to why they were doing it, and a local councillor told me it's because unless these cities have bed-space, concerts and sports events will bypass them in favour of other cities who can provide for out of towners. A lot of the time these hotels are pretty much sitting empty, but when an event comes into town that's when they make their money. London just doesn't have the same type of set-up in accommodation. It would mean people having to take rooms miles out of the city. 

Like I say, I don't think it's impossible, and in fact now it's more likely than ever because her whole time zone hang-up really isn't an issue, but I can't see that the finances and infrastructure in London would add up.

And let's be honest, Sadiq is just trying to appeal to a new demographic - the NBA yes, already the MLB and NFL have had success on these shores, but he's just taken the biggest sports events in the US (and UK) and thrown them out there to make himself look hip and cool. The real key was mentioning the Superbowl - that piece of Americana is never going to be anywhere other than the US. 

I think Trips response is just a bit of fun - plus it gets Wrestlemania and WWE trending.  

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Vote Binface.

Can think of at least two who probably shouldn't be getting a mention. Alleged sex criminals and (far less alleged) child murderers are not campaign gold. Or maybe they are. 2024 is weird. 

We've already got a big pro wrestling show at Wembley that could be an annual event WITHOUT using taxpayers money. Crimes out of hand in London at the moment and he's going 'LOOK LADS HERE'S REY MYSTERIO'

I wish Labour had anyone else running for Mayor.

Anyway, can see it at the Spurs stadium if anything.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Can think of at least two who probably shouldn't be getting a mention. Alleged sex criminals and (far less alleged) child murderers are not campaign gold. Or maybe they are. 2024 is weird. 

Not sure about the maths here. Well, you've got at least three alleged sex criminals even if one was only attempting rape by coercion and never actually achieved it, but then that might the old "Nobel prize for attempted chemistry" situation. Plus, I'm guessing the three that are dead aren't getting invited even if only one of them murdered anyone.

Minus one more if we don't count the wheelchair bound, perhaps one more for the dodgy ticker... and that's before we get to Hogan or Shawn. The numbers don't lie. They spell disaster.

Edited by air_raid
fried egg chilli chutney sandwich

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

We've already got a big pro wrestling show at Wembley that could be an annual event WITHOUT using taxpayers money. Crimes out of hand in London at the moment and he's going 'LOOK LADS HERE'S REY MYSTERIO'

It really isn't. Every available bit of data shows a decline in most types of crime over the last five years, and that London ranks lower than plenty of other areas in England for antisocial behaviour, crime rates, murder rates, knife crime, and gun crime. Where crime rates have increased, it's been at a much lower rate in London than the national average (the Independent a couple of weeks ago quoted the figures as 18% in London compared to 35% across England and Wales in 2023). The area covered by the Met ranks 31st out of 42 police force areas for violent crime, compared to ranking 3rd in 2016, and the increase in knife crime is also lower than the national average.

London has plenty of problems, and throwing taxpayer money at Wrestlemania would be a bad look no matter what. But it's a question of saying "but we've got Rey Mysterio!" instead of paying striking train drivers, not of the conservative fantasy of London being a crime-ridden hell hole.

@The Reverend nailed it - some staffer in the Mayor's office looked up what the biggest sporting events are, and Wrestlemania was in the list. This isn't about winning votes from John Cena fans, it's about selling London as a major international city, and Wrestlemania is a footnote in that. The "bid book" for host cities that David Bixenspan found a couple of years ago doesn't appear to exist online any more, but from what I remember of that, the amount of costs they expect to be covered by the host city are so excessive that I don't see London ever forking out for it, nor do I think they have the infrastructure to support Wrestlemania week the way WWE want it presented. 

If nothing else, they won't consider anything less than a 65,000 seat venue, which narrows the list down to Wembley, Twickenham, and then maybe, depending on configuration, could allow for the Spurs stadium, London Stadium, or the Emirates. But I'd assume AEW have an exclusivity deal with Wembley, and I'd assume football grounds won't be available for Wrestlemania and the amount of prep work that would take during the season. To say nothing of attempting to run an outdoor venue in London in early April.

On top of all that, I just don't see London being won over by the usual WWE spiel of "give us a few million quid, and we will add so much more to your local economy, and bring tens of thousands of people to your city". London is already the most visited city in Europe, it doesn't need Triple H lending their tourist industry a hand. There's also an ongoing lawsuit between WWE and the Texas Attorney General around WWE not wanting the records of the bid for the 2023 Royal Rumble to be made public, the results of which could be interesting in terms of how honest their figures are.

It won't happen, and I'd put any amount of money on that.

1 minute ago, BomberPat said:

London has plenty of problems, and throwing taxpayer money at Wrestlemania would be a bad look no matter what. But it's a question of saying "but we've got Rey Mysterio!" instead of paying striking train drivers, not of the conservative fantasy of London being a crime-ridden hell hole.

I think you've taken a throwaway line and kinda took it seriously and a Wrestling discussion isn't really the place to discuss politics, but you can throw stats around all you like, London is in a really bad state in lots of ways and Khan has done fuck all to address it. I'm a lifelong Labour supporter and he's as rubbish as the previous two mayors.

Anyway as I say, not really the place for politics and it was just a line.