It's Wrestlemania Season

d-d-d-dAz

Don't get me wrong. I love the debates on here and its a big part of why I enjoy reading stuff on here daily. But damn sometimes I think wrestling just needs to be enjoyed for what it is and not overanalysed. Not everything is written and built to be picked apart from bottom to top. Sometimes things are just done because they're cool and enjoyable and that's really the end of it. And that's actually enough for the majority of the audience I think. At least at an event like this where people go in wanting the spectacle and the crazy randomness of whatever WWE want to throw out there at their biggest show. So if the Undertaker shows up and people love it then that's surely enough. WWE will always have that history to play with. Its one of their biggest strengths.

• Paid Members

I think the main event really summed up why Cody Rhodes is the guy for WWE. You can nitpick and pull apart all of the things that don't make sense, but they all worked, so it doesn't matter - the golden rule of wrestling is that you can do anything when you're over.

In AEW, all of Cody's weirdnesses stuck out like a sore thumb to the point that people started turning on him - he speaks like a wrestler generated by AI, his promos are needlessly verbose and self-important, his matches are melodramatic self-conscious epics overbooked to within an inch of their life, and he's constantly putting a hat on a hat, apparently never having heard the phrase "less is more". Yet somehow all of those things that made him harder to like and harder to relate to in AEW make him come across like one of the most genuine people in WWE, and all of his worst tendencies are a perfect fit for how WWE produce wrestling, to the point that it almost feels like he can do no wrong now.

If that match that had been Roman against almost anyone else, it would have been unforgivably shit, it would have been Triple H vs. Sting. Yet somehow the presence of Cody just pulls everything else into his nonsense orbit and it just works. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Put Night Two on as background viewing today whilst I worked. I’d forgotten the mad moment when they advertised the Wrestlemania documentary, “Behind the Curtain.” Hunter and Rock talking about, “calling an audible,” and, “pivoting,” the storyline when the crowd turned on The Rock.

All well and good, it looks like an interesting documentary, but airing the trailer on the actual pay per view itself was crazy. Jarring as fuck. Like in the middle of the Loki finale Tom Hiddleston suddenly pops up, talking about where they wanted the story and characters to go.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

In AEW, all of Cody's weirdnesses stuck out like a sore thumb to the point that people started turning on him - he speaks like a wrestler generated by AI, his promos are needlessly verbose and self-important, his matches are melodramatic self-conscious epics overbooked to within an inch of their life, and he's constantly putting a hat on a hat, apparently never having heard the phrase "less is more". Yet somehow all of those things that made him harder to like and harder to relate to in AEW make him come across like one of the most genuine people in WWE

Cody to me feels like a man who has never had a single original idea in his life. Every single part of his act is something stolen from a former top babyface act and amalgamated into "The American Nightmare" Cody Rhodes. I imagine he's spent thousands of hours studying tape of Bret, Dusty, Hogan, Cena, Austin etc. and meticulously picked apart what worked, what didn't and what he could take from them. In AEW that didn't really work because all the people he was stealing from and copying were not what the AEW audience wanted to see from their top babyfaces. However in WWE, it's exactly what their audience and the company want from a top babyface. He's the perfect man at the perfect time for them. I don't think he would work in any other era.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I imagine he's spent thousands of hours studying tape of Bret, Dusty, Hogan, Cena, Austin etc. and meticulously picked apart what worked, what didn't and what he could take from them.

Don't forget Triple H. I just rewatched his entrance from Sunday, mostly to hear a big stadium pop when his music started, and that particular piece of production reminded me a great deal of a "King of Kings" Mania entrance.

@Loki"Speaking of... is it Undisputed WWE Championship, Universal Undisputed Champion or what?  They've called it so many different names this weekend."

.... just caught that actually, Samantha introduced Roman as "the Undisputed WWE Universal Heavyweight Champion." Blimey.

And of course, I've watched the last few minutes again. Christ.... it was like Backlash 2000 for a new era, it really was. Jesus wept, the Silver Medal took a beating here, didn't it? Imagine watching Cody's big moment and trying to give a shit about the other belt now!

Edited by air_raid
Adrenaline, in my soul, stole my words from Cody Rhodes

Posted (edited)

At this point they'd be better off making Cody making the Champion across both shows, and the World Heavyweight Championship is just a recognised second title.

If you're just starting out as a singles star, you can go for either the US or IC title; if you're going to be breaking through to the next level you can chance your arm at being the Champion of the World; and if you climb that hurdle only then can you consider a crack at being the Champion of the Universe.

There's no point pretending Damian Priest and Jey Uso are competing for anything that someone like The Rock or Cody Rhodes would look twice at.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

if you're going to be breaking through to the next level you can chance your arm at being the Champion of the World; and if you climb that hurdle only then can you consider a crack at being the Champion of the Codyverse.

Cody Rhodes Wrestling GIF by AEWonTV

I'm not sure you couldn't pick just as many holes in Austin appearing as you could Undertaker. His feud with Rock is years ago. The Rock is the final Boss and Austin has a history of teaming up with bosses at WrestleMania.

But, probably more importantly, Undertaker confronting Rock doesn't feel like a tease. Austin confronting The Rock would. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Vamp said:

I'm not sure you couldn't pick just as many holes in Austin appearing as you could Undertaker. His feud with Rock is years ago. The Rock is the final Boss and Austin has a history of teaming up with bosses at WrestleMania.

The Texas Rattlesnake showing up to help the offspring of Austin TX’s favourite son facing insurmountable odds, helping repel the baddie who even in storyline terms had been acknowledged as a corporate suit, and who happens to have been his biggest rival of all time and who beat him in his first retirement match?

No sense at all, utterly random, agreed.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

That said, Taker's from TX as well, so that's also a potential, simple explanation right there.

In storyline terms he was from Death Valley so he should have helped Cody last year in California too!

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, air_raid said:

In storyline terms he was from Death Valley so he should have helped Cody last year in California too!

Maybe he wasn't happy with the disrespect to him on his home turf last year, so made sure to get a receipt!

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Stone Cold was on the Truck of Destiny. No other explanation required.

IMG_8028.thumb.jpeg.1e3a1e81578ff51714a922e81408739d.jpeg

Anyway, I can’t get over it. The most useless character in decades. One weekend. I’ve done a complete 180. Salute this man and the sacrifices he made for all of us. Not the hero we deserved, but the hero we needed. Thank you, Seth. Clap clap, clap clap clap.

*I’m fully aware he’ll likely ruin it and be back stinking up the joint his first night back.

Edited by Supremo