It's Wrestlemania Season

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Always a big fan of these graphics that pop up. Makes the cards look stacked. A lot I’m excited about. Frankly furious the kids are off for the Easter Holidays and I can’t watch it live.

IMG_7963.thumb.jpeg.d4f6f27355a81e773de8b86dba7ff8d4.jpeg

Other than the main events, have they announced what matches are on each night yet? I don’t recall hearing it. Do they usually leave it this late? God knows how many fans are only going to one show, but you have to assume some are. Would be mad still not knowing what matches you’re going to see.

Anyway, I clocked this online and was filled with joy. That smug, “what do you guys wanna talk about?” when he’s wearing the belt is going to hit like crack.

IMG_7956.thumb.jpeg.b6a6ae59472c41c382bbd2d58a739229.jpeg

• Paid Members

RE: match/night splits, IIRC last year it was announced a few weeks out for most matches (I think I remember match graphics saying "Wrestlemania Saturday" or "Wrestlemania Sunday", and those phrases being spoken on TV a lot), but previously it's been announced on Twitter on the Saturday morning.

Seems like it'll be closer to the latter this year. 

I hope they do a better job balancing the two nights this year. Just finished watching WM38. You've got an elite Night 1, and Night 2 is a drastic comedown from that. I'll probably chuck on WM39 next, but it's fresh enough in my head anyway- epic Night 1, and Night 2 is very lucky to have the IC triple threat on it, otherwise it'd be another big comedown. 

Would be nice for the highlight to be Night 2 for a change.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Just realised I'm in Spain on holiday when this is on. Thought it was the week after damnit!

I thought it was this weekend. If we average things up between us, we're right.

Night 2 also suffers just from the fact its Night 2 in a way

In that a big part of Wrestlemania is the build up to it, the excitement of the stage and setup seeing the stadium etc that all adds to the feeling of it being bigger then anything else.

By Night 2 we've of course seen all that already and in some ways suffering from fatigue slightly after watching 4 hours the previous night when you add in stand and deliver and Smackdown as well, people will have watched close to 10 hours of wrestling over the previous 48 hours (maybe more if they've watched some indy shows) even the best of cards for night 2 could be a slog to get through and excited about by that time.

I looked at the Wikipedia roster page to see who isn’t on the main card or in the Battle Royal. Assuming we’re getting Karrion Kross and AOP Vs Lashley & The Street Profits, the only biggish names left out are Bron Breakker, Imperium and Solo Sikoa. They should still turn the Rey tag match into a faction clusterfuck and get Jaoquin Wilde doing something similar to that huge dive from NXT a few months ago. It would have been nice to have Imperium & the Creed Brothers in the ladder match instead of Waller/Theory and Pete Dunne and his mustard booties friend. Solo I’m sure will be making an appearance as a mystery hooded assailant at some point, but an actual match wouldn’t have gone amiss. Bron could be an unannounced Battle Royal participant, spearing Omos into oblivion to win the thing.

There’s a lot of the women with nothing to do, unless they have a Mae Young Battle Royal. I can’t remember if that was just a one off or a recurring match. They could cobble together some sort of get everyone on the card mess with Liv Morgan, Nia Jax, Shayna Baszler, Tiffany Stratton, Chelsea Green and perpetually employed Tamina.

All in all, it’s a great card on paper. I personally want the WrestleMania X ending, with new champ Cody being hoisted in the air by new IC champ Sami, Jey, LA Knight, KO, Randy, Pharaoh and anyone else who was fucked over by the Bloodline. Seth Rollins fills the Owen Hart role and stands in the aisle on his own because nobody likes him, white spittle in the corner of his mouth.

Andrade in the André.  Better than Rampage I guess.

Andrade might be low key the shittest wrestler of the 2020s.  Three runs in the big 2 companies, absolutely no memorable moments at all.  He’ll be best remembered as Mr Charlotte.

1 hour ago, MVP RULZ said:

Night 2 also suffers just from the fact its Night 2 in a way

In that a big part of Wrestlemania is the build up to it, the excitement of the stage and setup seeing the stadium etc that all adds to the feeling of it being bigger then anything else.

By Night 2 we've of course seen all that already and in some ways suffering from fatigue slightly after watching 4 hours the previous night when you add in stand and deliver and Smackdown as well, people will have watched close to 10 hours of wrestling over the previous 48 hours (maybe more if they've watched some indy shows) even the best of cards for night 2 could be a slog to get through and excited about by that time.

They've even had the same intro package for both nights since they started the format, which I've always found insanely odd for a company as overproduction-happy and package savvy as WWE.  

I touched on this in the Smackdown thread, but it's genuinely mad to me that - especially after getting in the Chamber in 2023 - Montez Ford is still cocking about in a tag team that have already ran out of steam twice before.

He looks, acts, talks and wrestles like everything they could possibly want. He deserves better than being in a past its sell by date tag team, as part of a faction that never got off the ground, in a feud against the coldest act in wrestling.

• Paid Members
On 3/31/2024 at 2:11 PM, d-d-d-dAz said:

I touched on this in the Smackdown thread, but it's genuinely mad to me that - especially after getting in the Chamber in 2023 - Montez Ford is still cocking about in a tag team that have already ran out of steam twice before.

He looks, acts, talks and wrestles like everything they could possibly want. He deserves better than being in a past its sell by date tag team, as part of a faction that never got off the ground, in a feud against the coldest act in wrestling.

I half-suspect that they do know how good he is, but recognise that there's not a lot of room for him at the top end of the card right now, so are deliberately slow-peddling with him. He's always got something to do, they keep his face on TV, and although he's being kept back he's not being buried by any of the booking. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I half-suspect that they do know how good he is, but recognise that there's not a lot of room for him at the top end of the card right now, so are deliberately slow-peddling with him. He's always got something to do, they keep his face on TV, and although he's being kept back he's not being buried by any of the booking. 

They definitely know. Graves especially often talks about how much of an upside he has and how the sky's the limit with him. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a singles shove before the end of the year.