This just reminds me of the atrocious stunts WWF then WCW did trying to one up each other but ultimately made themselves look bad. It's in the "how could they think this would be a good idea" category. Makes AEW look weak and petty if you ask me.

Utterly pointless. And Will Ospreay’s promo was crap too. I think Tony Schiavone and Renee Paquette’s reactions tell a story.

Having FTR come out and say they’re bored of talking about it doesn’t sort anything, incidentally. It’s trying to have your cake and eat it too. One of the things I really appreciated about the fallout from “brawl out” and beyond was that no matter how petty and insecure Punk came off, the Elite lot generally remained in a dignified silence from then onwards. That’s all out the window now.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Seeing the actual footage of a grown man attacking someone over something so stupid was depressing. CM Punk is depressing. If you watched this and still like CM Punk that's depressing. 

Seeing the actual footage of a grown man attacking someone over something so stupid was depressing. Pro wrestling is depressing. If you watched this and still like Pro wrestling that's depressing. Discussing it on a forum, thats depressing. Wasting even one more second of time on any of it, that's depressing. I think my story is finished chaps. 

Just now, Supremo said:

Chris Hero nearly crying was the best part. Probably realised that filling out an incident report would delay him getting a Nando’s.

Genuinely laughed out loud at this.

Well, that's made it all worth it.

I didn’t find any of it depressing. Funny,  pathetic and cringeworthy yes. Depressing no. I could have happily lived the rest of my life without seeing it but I’m glad someone was stupid enough to show it in all its pathetic nothing glory. Nobody was seriously hurt, there’s no serious real life repercussions. CM Punk is and always will be a pathetic magnificent man child. He’s great at pro wrestling but part of what makes the whole package so interesting is the real life fragile baby underneath that incredibly thin skin. 

Honestly I'm just disappointed. The whole thing just feels a bit sad.

AEW was always meant to be an alternative. A place where the best wrestle and fans could just go and watch exactly that. To share that love of professional wrestling and ENJOY it.

To see it being dragged down to this level and actually become more WWE than WWE itself in 2024 is just ridiculous beyond belief.

If TK thinks this is the best way to get eyes on the product then that's a real step in the wrong direction for me. I really can't be arsed with it all.

I should move on, but I have one last thought... Does it look any different to how anyone imagined it? Honestly, down to Punk's response on his Instagram Stories, suggesting he did it to get out of the company, it's all so boringly predictable too.

And, it hasn't made me care about Bucks/FTR.

All that said, Dynasty has the potential to be an absolute banger of a show from an in-ring perspective. Okada/Pac and Ospreay/Danielson on the same show is almost too exciting. One of those shows i'll book the Monday off (or at least the morning) to make sure I can watch spoiler free.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

Makes AEW look weak and petty if you ask me.

That's always the problem with punching up. If you punch down, sure you look like a bully. But at least you're laughing at the people you're beating. But if you punch up, you look desperate. Pissing on someone else's bonfire doesn't make yours burn any brighter.

Just now, DavidB6937 said:

If TK thinks this is the best way to get eyes on the product then that's a real step in the wrong direction for me. I really can't be arsed with it all.

Yep. As I alluded to earlier, any overt reference to what the guys beating you are doing or who they employ is a mistake in my eyes. It was pathetic when Vince signed off on Billionaire Ted, it was pathetic when Bischoff instructed Schiavone to spoil Mankind winning the belt on the taped Raw, it's pathetic today.

• Paid Members
Just now, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Seeing the actual footage of a grown man attacking someone over something so stupid was depressing. Pro wrestling is depressing. If you watched this and still like Pro wrestling that's depressing. Discussing it on a forum, thats depressing. Wasting even one more second of time on any of it, that's depressing. I think my story is finished chaps. 

Ok, thanks for that.

As for the rest of the show:

- Everything else was pretty much fine if unexciting. With no BCC, Kingston,Cassidy, Allin, Omega, Hangman etc. these shows feel very light of stars right now. Hell, even chucking in Big Bill and Ricky Starks could freshen things up. The pacing and placement of segments drove me a bit crazy, they've been pretty bad at that recently.

- Penta/Copeland was the best part of the show. Penta is another on their pile of untapped potential. He's an exciting singles wrestler and should be booked as such. Just on look alone, you push this guy properly and he'll be every kids favourite wrestler. Cool seeing Copeland trying new things. That powerslam on the apron was the best spot I've seen in awhile. Willow/Copeland vs Brody/Julia next week is exactly the type of thing I want to see on these shows.

- Showing a vignette of the Trent heel turn, then OC's locker room to announce that he's going to be on Rampage felt like a waste of time. His name running out of space on the door label was a nice little touch.

- Shibata and HOOK would actually be a really fucking cool, original and unique tag team. The scrappy, surly New York street kid with the violent Japanese veteran, there's loads you could do with that. Sadly though the bloated reanimated corpse of Chris Jericho is stuck in the middle draining them of life.

- Feels like there's some really obvious and telegraphed things coming up. Purrazzo turning on Thunder Rose. Jack Perry returning to help the Bucks win the titles. 

- Once Ospreay got his shitty 2006 dig at Triple H out the way it was actually a pretty decent promo.

- Production wise there's still too much dead air on these shows. With WWE it feels like the production is constantly assaulting your senses. With AEW it often feels like there's nothing going on at all. Like they always do shit like cut to the lighting rig while Excalibur tells you what's coming up next. JUST FUCKING GO STRAIGHT TO WHAT'S COMING UP NEXT!

- Joe vs Dustin was pretty decent. As much as I love The Natural he does seem be losing a step or two - not surprising given his age. I'd love to see him having 8 minute cracker TV matches with everyone on the roster on Rampage or Collision every week but I'm not sure he has Dynamite main events left in him.

47 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

If you watched this and still like CM Punk that's depressing. 

spacer.png

Well that was a bizarre bit of television. I didn't think we'd actually get footage so I didn't have a reference point to sort of project how it might look or feel which it made it all the more strange. That live crowd footage is something though. WrestleCrap and "This would be in The Death Of..." are such outdated reference points, but they've genuinely created a monster one there. Historic and noteworthy from the perspective of a company's history, albeit for all the wrong reasons. 

Incredibly I don't feel like taking on the responsibility of any negative emotions myself for it as a stunt. I'll leave that to the dickheads who thought it was a good decision. 

So what’s this Okada fella all about then? He has a great face, one of those people who are pleasing to look at faces but having no previous experience of him he doesn’t instantly strike me as the superstar I’m being sold. Is he one of those guys that takes a bit of time investment to get the full package or am I missing it? Also, listening to the commentary try to get his rip chord lariat over as a deadly finisher just illustrates the problem you have when you have a dozen more deadly looking moves not even finishing matches on the same show. I’ve always loved a lariat and variations of it as finishers but when you’ve got top rope brainbuster near falls it’s a tough sell for a medium sized guy to get a regular looking lariat over.

I genuinely think that might be the end of the situation, and possibly one that only Tony Khan was interested in showing and nobody (even Bucks/FTR etc) was into and now it's done. Let Twitter and the southern racist tennis fan chat away and let everyone enjoy two different mainstream wrestling products. 

General overview. Punk looked a knobhead, but hardly breaking news. I felt bad for Jack Perry because saying 'real glass' or not, Punk doesn't need to start throwing hands while your fixing your hair after a match. Physical assaulting a co-worker and then the online response is 'that got him fired?' YES, It's an assault, if this incident shown me anything, it's that some wrestling fans are more than happy and accepting actual physical violence in a work culture/life/situations. It wasn't a grand plan for him to get sacked either I think, he's just a really unpleasant fucker. Awful. I felt bad for Perry, Joe having to dive in, Chris Hero for that genuinely amusing meme reaction, Jerry Lynn having a fucked up neck and having to split them, and finally Tony Schiavone who when they cut back looked like he in the midst of a bad flashback.

Also, I haven't seen her in years but we are 4 weeks in, she's not had a match and I'm already reaching my interest level with Mercedes Mone. What do so many people see that I don't? She LOOKS the star but doesn't talk that way. I genuinely think it's something cultural or young that I don't get. Her online stans seem absolutely bloody terrible.

Again, I hope it's done. AEW is all I bother with, and I don't want a promotion I'm not interested in getting any clout off it, they're doing very well themselves, so let them. None of this would have happened or aired if they weren't all billionaires.

Edited by Chili
Real edit, cry me a river