US politics

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

1 hour ago, Dead Mike said:

I dont think the phrase 'rent free' really applies when we're all living through the consequences of gifting the Tories a record breaking majority. 

By what metric was it record breaking, out of interest? Because they’ve had larger majorities and more seats than they have now. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

By what metric was it record breaking, out of interest? Because they’ve had larger majorities and more seats than they have now. 

I should've probably put 'largest majority in living memory'. The end result is the same.

31 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

I should've probably put 'largest majority in living memory'. The end result is the same.

Well thanks a fucking bunch for making me feel really really old as my memory can recall the 83 and 87 majorities!!

Mind you, Labour won bigger majorities in 97 and 01 than the tories currently have too. Then again “Largest majority in 20 years” doesnt  have the same impact. 

It's risky.  Biden's support for Israel isn't popular amongst young Democratic voters, and he needs them to turn out in large numbers to guarantee he beats Trump.

On the other hand, the tactic generally of bypassing Congress makes him look strong and the GOP controlled House look weak, so that will play well with some.  Doing it for Ukraine will probably poll better than for Israel.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

Yeah. This double dealing over Ukraine and Israel is really going to test the statecrafters. We are going to see some very bizarre political games over the next few months. Whether the incumbent regimes have the necessary nouse will become apparent very soon. There's a lot of games being played and I'm not as knowledgeable of the situations as I'd like to be. Lots of grey shades.

Ramping up his authoritarian rhetoric, Trump pledged in the Iowa speech to institutionalize an authoritarian crackdown of the same sort he falsely accuses the Biden administration of implementing. “Upon taking office, I will create a new federal task force on fighting anti-Christian bias to be led by a fully reformed Department of Justice that’s fair and equitable,” he promised. “Its mission will be to investigate all forms of illegal discrimination, harassment and persecution against Christians in America.”

In another speech, in Reno, Nevada, he pledged to go after colleges and universities for running afoul of his “religious freedom” edicts. “If colleges and universities discriminate against conservatives, Christians, Jews, anybody,” he said, “we are going to take away their tax advantages, grants and endowment.”

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-opinion/trump-2024-christian-right-truth-social-rcna132082

HMT-TA.jpg

• Paid Members

How much of an impact will the youth vote have in America. The Biden administration seems to have played that element completely wrong. There's very strong opposition to the Ukrainian/Israel situation and Biden was barracked at a recent public appearance. Could these situations damage the Democrat campaign.

I've seen a bit of news about the Republican candidates. With the Likes of Nikki Hayley and Vivek Ramaswamy being Republican candidates. Will the Democrats also have a selection process? Or will their campaign be spearheaded by Biden?

22 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Ukrainian/Israel

Can you lump those two together?  I'm not sure you can.  There's still plenty of support for Ukraine in the US, even amongst Republicans.  Israel is definitely a generational thing though - young Americans don't really know or indeed care about the long history of the Israel-Arab conflict, they see the humanitarian crisis in Gaza and consider the US to be on the wrong side of it.

It might cost Biden if those voters stay at home, but if the Dems focus on the threat to their way of life from Trump's authoritarianism I think they'll still come out for the greater good.

@BigJag   Youth voter turnout (u29) is lowest in the Republican states, highest in the Democrat states. It could easily make a difference in the swing states. The youth vote increases by 25% in the last election, while I'd imagine few would actually swap their vote for republican they could just not vote. 

Edited by westlondonmist

48 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I'll be honest, I have zero interest in seeing him in power, but I'd watch these all day long.

He's so winning the election - Sleepy Joe doesn't stand a chance! 

I also don't want to see it happen, but he is the funniest President since George W Bush.