US politics

Tim Healys Chutney Spoon

It’s a tough one, Trump is box office gold and offers infinite entertaining clips but on the other hand he’s possibly a megalomaniacal lunatic and could spell the end of days. I do really like those clips though…..

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

It’s a tough one, Trump is box office gold and offers infinite entertaining clips but on the other hand he’s possibly a megalomaniacal lunatic and could spell the end of days. I do really like those clips though…..

I remember everyone saying how he’d start WW3 but he opened diplomatic relations with Russia and North Korea and brought troops home (leaving a clusterfuck behind). Can’t see Clinton doing the same, she’d have ramped up bombing. 

• Paid Members

It's really bizarre looking back at his tenure. He was largely regarded as an absolute nutcase. However as @Keith Houchen has said. He did improve relations with Russia,North Korea, and I think the Middle East. All of that has seemingly been reversed under Biden.

We can't give Trump a clean slate though.There's still the madness of his Mexico policy. Did the wall get built? Has the porous border been under better control with the current administration?I s America a happier place? What's happening with his court case?

I always saw his good public relationship with those nations as being part of the whole strong man club fetishisation moreso than anything to do with real mutual respect for policy or endeavouring to form closer ties. Kinda like how Steven Seagal abruptly just thinks Putin and Kim Jong seem like real stand up guys. I guess that probably just all a lot of surface level foreign relations is though.  

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Where's this "improving relations" stuff coming from?  

He gave Baby Kim a huge PR coup by getting a visit from the US President, in return for absolutely nothing as NK continued its nuclear program and missile program unabated.

He "accidentally" outed a whole load of US spies in a closed door meeting with Putin, endangering the lives of many US operatives, and generally acted like Putin's lackey whilst enacting policies that supported Russia's main international aim, that of undermining the European/US consensus.

His one actual international policy win, which flew entirely under the radar, was getting Saudi Arabia and Israel into talks by throwing the two-state solution under the bus and cuddling up to Netanyahu and MBS - which probably led directly to the Hamas assault on Israel and subsequent shitfest in Gaza.

He was an absolute international cancer and it's taken Biden a couple of years just to begin to restore US relations internationally.

• Paid Members

He's not wrong about Biden and that Sleepy Joe nickname is spot on (although I prefer Genocide Joe). Watching Biden responding to those protestors in the church the other day, it was like someone had stuck him on the 0.5x setting on Netflix.

But at least he's electable!!

Whenever I feel tempted to find Trump amusing, I remind myself of the young girl he raped before avoiding the trial by running for President.  Or the women who can no longer access abortions because he put 3 religious nutter on the Supreme Court.  Or the Mexican children held in cages at the US-Mexico border.  Or the Capitol security people killed or injured in his failed insurrection.  Or the voters disenfranchised due to him pressurising States to remove voters from their rolls.

I'm sure plenty of international commentators found Hitler extremely amusing in the early 30s with his little moustache and his funny arm movements, and had Twitter been around that shit would have been clickbait gold.  It helps to make Trump seem less of a danger, and that in itself is dangerous.

People want Ric Flair banned from TV for waving his willy on an airplane, but Trump gets retweets?  @Keith Houchen wouldn't approve. ;)

Yep. I know it can't be stopped but even left wing/anti-Trump retweeting of him being all whacky and shit - unless it's actually a cogent takedown of him with a point to make - is all just feeding into him being a meme president. It's problematic. 

I understand that it’s essentially ‘Borisfying’ him to look at these clips and memes and share them with lols but at the same time let’s not forget it was Obama and chums sending him up in roasts etc. To ignore and refuse to discuss his wild crazy charisma is to refuse to understand how a meme president came to be in the first place. 

Engagement is engagement, just cos you're doing it ironically/for the lulz/laughing at the thing doesn't mean social media puts a special asterisk next to your RT/like/view.

And hasn't this been cited as one of the issues with the conversation around these sort of far right people?  They get excellent interaction metrics on social media and thus new media puts them front and centre because news media is desperately trying to cling on to it's engagement in a social media world. Every time you engage you're saying "yes give me more of this" so you get more of it.

Thus your Trumps, Griffins, Farages etc get a tonne of air time, what they say is considered to be very important to the population and the ovaltine window continues it's move to the right (a lovely malty milky right). I get that Trump is going to be republican candidate so he should be part of the news but early on he was basically the equivalent of Farage and now he's the fact of the right wing in America. Sure there's plenty people who do agree with what he's saying but we've seen multiple instances of social media amplifying these right wing opinions and giving a distorted idea of how many actually believe in the

Or maybe none of this actuallly matters and these people get shoved down our throat regardless, so might as well enjoy the ride.

Edited by organizedkaos

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

let’s not forget it was Obama and chums sending him up in roasts

Obama mocked trump at the Whitehouse Foreign Correspondents dinner, along with mocking everyone else, that's what he is supposed to do at that dinner, mock the press. The thin skinned narcissist didn't appreciate the mockery and a whole MAGA movement was born. It was a funny joke involving birth certificates and the Lion King but not funny enough to rectify the nightmarish hellscape since then. 

That may oversimplify why Trump decided to run, but its a definite contributory factor. 

19 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

That may oversimplify why Trump decided to run, but its a definite contributory factor. 

It’s Gwen Stefanis fault. 

21 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

Thus your Trumps, Griffins, Farages etc get a tonne of air time

I don’t think this is right. Trump was a household name and huge TV star in his own right. 

He was the highest paid star on a TV network, but when Gwen Stefani joined The Voice or X Factor of whatever, she became the highest paid and this didn’t sit well with Trump. He set up a mock debate to argue he was the bigger star and that gave him the taste for the whole thing and that’s when he started looking at running for president.