GTA6

Keith Houchen

I was honestly expecting it to just look like GTA V but...wow? Some of the fidelity, crowd density etc on some of that stuff is insane looking. First game in a long while I've seen and thought "This is a leap." 

That tune slaps, too. 

I wouldn't say I'm a gamer by a long stretch, not since my late teens and the most I've played recently was a couple of years ago playing through both Last Of Us games with my daughter and the occasional blast on Forza with my son but having watched that trailer twice now I'll be buying whatever console I need to run it. Jesus Christ.

Like Mr Fook says, the crowd density, the realism, even the stuff with the app filters looks amazing. If the actual gameplay is even a patch on what the trailer shows it'll be 2036 before they even need to think of releasing another.

• Paid Members

Santa used to leave me a pillow case of presents at the bottom of my bed. If I woke up in the night I could feel the presents with my feet but knew I wasn’t allowed to touch them until morning. That’s the feeling I got when I saw the trailer was released when looking at YouTube last night. It didn’t feel right to watch it on a small screen in bed with low sound so I waited until this morning!

Absolutely loved it. Feels like a huge step up but also still captures that GTA essence. 

Looks like we could be getting a Bonnie and Clyde type story which sounds good to me! The three intertwining characters in 5 worked really well so why not do it again and have a romance involved too. Plenty of stories to tell and directions to go with that.

Current day Vice City looks amazing and love the contrast between the glitz of the city and the craziness of the suburbs and swamps

My Instagram feed often has reels of car meets and street drifting so I really smiled when a car meet appeared in the trailer! Rockstar just get it. 

2025 is a kick in the ball but completely expected. We will be drip fed info over the next year with a ten minute video in the second half of 2024 going into gameplay details. Plus Rockstar obviously has issues with leaks so I don’t think we will be completely starved of info!

Right I’m off to watch hours and hours of trailer breakdowns and listen to some Tom Petty

Thrillbilly Mud Club FTW!

Am I the only one who isnt that impressed by the trailer?

It looks pretty good, but its just the usual CGI cutscene montage (Like nearly every game trailer now) that gives no idea what gameplay will look like.

I was as big a GTA fan as anyone, right from the original on PS1 (My mate's brother worked on that one, so it was on my radar early on) and Vice City was always my favourite, so this should be right up my street, but its been so long since GTA 5 that any enthusiasm I could have had has worn out.

Back in the 'old' GTA days, Rockstar seemed so far ahead of everyone, but they've given everyone else a chance to catch up now, so it will have to be something insanely special to carry them through another decade of microtransactions.

Dont get me wrong, I'll be buying it for sure, but I'm just not as hyped as I should be for it. Maybe I'm just too old for it now.. 

21 minutes ago, alanchiz said:

Back in the 'old' GTA days, Rockstar seemed so far ahead of everyone, but they've given everyone else a chance to catch up now, so it will have to be something insanely special to carry them through another decade of microtransactions.

Will it though? Considering how they've managed to drag stuff out so far and people still seem willing to pay and buy more versions etc, I imagine they're pretty much guaranteed to do the same with the next one. There's clearly an appetite for it. They'd have to really fuck it up to ruin such a successful formula.

12 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Will it though? Considering how they've managed to drag stuff out so far and people still seem willing to pay and buy more versions etc, I imagine they're pretty much guaranteed to do the same with the next one. There's clearly an appetite for it. They'd have to really fuck it up to ruin such a successful formula.

Agree with that, whether its great or just good, Im sure they will be coasting along on it for many years to come.

48 minutes ago, alanchiz said:

Am I the only one who isnt that impressed by the trailer?

It looks pretty good, but its just the usual CGI cutscene montage (Like nearly every game trailer now) that gives no idea what gameplay will look like.

Depends on whether it's Q1 2025 or Q4 2025. 12 months or 18 months, big difference in what they can get done.

Most of that was cutscenes BUT there was definitely a bunch of "driving past" game captures that show what the new engine is capable of.

I'm most impressed by the instagram/CCTV filters, they make the stuff look almost photorealistic.  That's something that's really not been done in videogames in the modern era (I'm thinking Manhunt off the top of my head) so that's cool.

GTAVI is one of the games I'm slightly worried about - I think I posted here a few weeks ago about what the exploding content expectations of open-world games do to final product.  But they've been working on the content for this game for a LONG time, most of a decade, and that creates its own problems as signed-off content ages out of your constantly updating pipelines.  Rockstar's experiments over the last few years with AI generated assets and upscaling was NOT good.

So yeah - looks cool and it will have Rockstar's usual deep plethora of things to do and things to see, which for me is the main attraction of the game.  The story looks... eh.. but then to be honest I've never really been that hooked by the stories.  I'll probably just buy it, cruise around, go gator hunting and then call it a day.

Pour one out tonight for the people working on this who will now be in crunch for the next 12-18 months, Rockstar have a reputation as one of the worst offenders when it comes to crunch, very old-school still.