AEW Full Gear 2023 - November 18th

Supremo

Was a good PPV, everything had its place and entertained throughout. Felt like a proper attitude era style PPV with the show long storyline with the MJF injury angle.

Was convinced Cole would be revealed as the Devil by the end of it, on the pre show he held MJF whilst he could see the Gunns getting ready to attack him and he basically let White have the ROH belt anf the Diamond Ring to whack MJF with so I'm still convinced he'll eventually be revealed as it with Strong and company in toe. Surprised there was no involvement of jt tonight, but as has been said the angle was talked about throughout. 

Enjoyed all the matches and the stories, plenty of momentum heading into Worlds End, hopefully not too many of the stories get bogged down in the Continental Classic but by the looks of the wrestlers already announced for it the stars on this show won't be in it.

Tag match was wild, hopefully everyone was well enough to shake FTRs hands properly after it.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, gmoney said:

To be clear, I couldn't give a fuck about any moral issue here, but probably not best for the board to be doing that quite so openly Chili. 

Agreed, it took me about an hour this afternoon to find where ok.ru had it hosted this time round.

3 hours ago, Duke said:

The bigger problem with my theory is "what would Cole have done if Max hadn't come out"

That’s what I’m getting at - he’s putting himself in harm’s way with little to gain. But the whole angle made little sense, so maybe we’re both putting more thought into it than they have…

Edited by RedRooster

• Awards Moderator

Swerve vs Hangman was a grim, barbaric spectacle that I couldn’t look away from and had my head in my hands shouting “fucking HELL” at multiple times. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything quite like it. Impossible for anything to follow that.

Rush was another highlight of the show, and I really enjoyed the TBS Title three way, thought that was a great match. Pleased Julia Hart won, it’s the right time for her right now. Also, two women’s matches on an AEW show! That almost feels like it could be progress.

The Texas death match though… fucking HELL. Once MJF’s got past Samoa Joe, Wardlow, and Roderick Strong, have Swerve just destroy him and win the title. He’s the best.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

3 hours ago, Duke said:

The bigger problem with my theory is "what would Cole have done if Max hadn't come out"

I guess theoretically he was standing in the ring with the crutches still in his hand, so he could've twatted White over the head with one then pissed off. As RR says above though, this is probably putting more thought into it than the booker did.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Also, MJF probably wants to retire his ‘I just get bodyslams and drop kicks over’ gimmick after that elbow drop and flying RKO.

That’s always been one my favourite things about the act. He talks a good game about focussing on the basics, taking every opportunity to slag off New Japan, saying he’s not like these idiots who constantly land on their head. And yet he peppers in just enough mad Lucha or Japanese spots into his matches to make it clear that, deep down, he’s the biggest tape trader of them all, desperate to be featured on a YouTube move-set montage set to an early Linkin Park track.

I can’t get enough of the MJF character. Even on this very show, wearing the home town colours, stealing the ambulance like Stone Cold, doing the Shane McMahon elbow to the outside, a fucking RKO to the floor. There isn’t anyone in pro-wrestling more interesting than this vulnerable, scared, damaged, desperate-to-impress head case.

For the longest time, it was considered granted that the worst way to turn babyface was to suddenly become a WWE-style Happy, Smily Game Show Host and the proper way to turn babyface was to keep all the characteristics of your heel character that got you cheered in the first place. And yet here’s MJF playing 3D Chess, coming up with a completely revolutionary way of doing it. He’s doing all the Smily Good Guy stuff, but in the exact same try-hard vein as his heel act, where you sense he’s just doing what he thinks he should do, not knowing where to draw the line. He didn’t suddenly switch to becoming the 90s babyface act because the script dictated it, he did it because that’s what he grew up watching and idolising. I’m a top good guy now, with a best mate to impress, so I’ll have to start doing what I watched on Smackdown every Saturday morning on Sky One. Absolutely fascinating character to watch and follow.

I also don’t know what to tell anyone complaining that they didn’t advance The Devil storyline because the show I watched was stuffed with hints and teases that Adam was going to reveal himself. Even teasing wrestling the match on behalf of MJF, as stupid as it was from a logical standpoint, it just felt like we were moments away from Cole either losing the belt on purpose, or trying to win the match and then turn on Max once he got the belt. Same with him not helping during The Gunn’s’ beat down of Max on the Buy-In, nearly throwing the towel in and then copying the Santos Escobar spot with the diamond ring and belt. A genuinely convincing near fall, I might add. First time in this whole feud I thought Jay White could win. But yeah, they were countless. You couldn’t move for moments that felt like they were going to pull the trigger. Cole being there live has made all the difference. It felt like we were right back to All In London, where your heart is in your throat for every glance or mannerism. Adam Cole is The Devil and I cannot fucking wait to see how they eventually reveal it.

Fair play to Tony Khan. When they suddenly introduced this mad web of storylines surrounding Max, involving Joe, Omega, Cole, Bullet Club, The Acclaimed and Wardlow, it just felt like Tony had randomly pulled out a bunch of action figures and had no idea what he was plotting. To see it slowly come together and make sense has been genuinely impressive. Maybe I’ll look like a dickhead in the end, but I’m confident this is going to pay off brilliantly.

In other news, Texas Death is the match of the year. That’s how you do it. Break into a man’s house? Threaten his kid? Yeah, let’s forget headlock take downs or lock ups. He’s going to lose his fucking mind and try to actually kill you. What a brutal, insane spectacle. The catharsis of that promo on Wednesday multiplied by a million, watching Swerve suddenly realise how much he’d fucked up bringing out the psychopath in Hangman. Even the drinking of the blood. Absolutely gross, but if we’re doing it then let’s fucking do it. Two men completely out of their minds, trying to destroy the other. I couldn’t look away. Just utter madness. Like the whole show had come off the rails and nobody could stop it.

That bit where Swerve swung the chair and the barbed wire came loose and smacked Hangman in the face, getting caught in his hair? We’re off the fucking scale, lads. These two nutters are willing to die. The jury might still be out on the Young Bucks but there can be no more discussion about Hangman becoming complacent. Motherfucker delivered a masterpiece of violence here. The only way it could have been improved would be if Moxley was at the desk screaming his head off. And to then have Swerve walk away victorious? Unbelievable. What a star-making performance. This man is him. Since AEW’s inception, Mox and Sting have felt like the biggest embarrassments to WWE for not realising a talent’s full potential. I think Swerve might have lapped them both. No selling the staple gun as blood is pouring out of his head. Your top star has arrived. Next World Champion. Undeniable.

But yeah. Get you a man that can do both.

3788CB50-9EEB-4569-B03E-62FF06C7B586.thumb.jpeg.a6757ce4b7fd24e9e39ccbc6115cea1c.jpeg

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, RedRooster said:

That’s what I’m getting at - he’s putting himself in harm’s way with little to gain. But the whole angle made little sense, so maybe we’re both putting more thought into it than they have…

Well the gain is he's gone all weird stalker on Max and doesn't want anyone else to beat him. That does seem to be who the devil is, someone on Max's side, or at least thinks they are, who doesn't want anyone else there.  Assuming he's not injured, he could've just gone on to win the match, but that obviously reveals himself, which is why I'm wondering.

I think part of the problem with this event is that TK put too much thought into it. It didn't feel haphazard "let's just throw a load of stuff at it", it felt completely over thought and over booked (for e.g, the entire angle works better without Cole involved in it at all). I'm also certain that this is exactly the kind of thing the performers themselves will have put tonnes of thought into.

If it *is* Cole though, he definitely shouldn't beat MJF for the title because as everyone has said, it feels like that should definitely be Swerve Strickland.

No idea what you do next with Hanger though.

Edit: That is written like a string of 2am whatsapp messages, sorry.

Edited by Duke
Not going to rewrite though.

22 minutes ago, Duke said:

Well the gain is he's gone all weird stalker on Max and doesn't want anyone else to beat him. That does seem to be who the devil is, someone on Max's side, or at least thinks they are, who doesn't want anyone else there.  Assuming he's not injured, he could've just gone on to win the match, but that obviously reveals himself, which is why I'm wondering.

If it's Cole, you could explain it away as it being a situation where he genuinely believes that he's trying to help MJF; but MJF is no longer the kind of person who wants to get ahead in this way. The Acclaimed being attacked could easily be a situation where Cole thinks that they did not have Max's best interests at heart - but he does. 

That said, I feel like the ship has sailed on the Cole/MJF storyline; much as it seems that you do. They should have had Cole turn at All In, if they were going to do it. There are two red hot heels in the company right now - Christian Cage and Swerve, the latter of which seems like the logical choice to dethrone MJF. I wouldn't object to either winning the belt, though; it feels like there are a lot of storyline possibilities either way. 

Although his skits with Roddy Strong were horrendous, Cole has proven that he can play a very sympathetic and effective babyface. His previous heel run wasn't great, so perhaps they simply need to keep him in a role that we know for sure can work. 

14 hours ago, Doog said:

Was convinced Cole would be revealed as the Devil by the end of it, on the pre show he held MJF whilst he could see the Gunns getting ready to attack him and he basically let White have the ROH belt anf the Diamond Ring to whack MJF with so I'm still convinced he'll eventually be revealed as it with Strong and company in toe. Surprised there was no involvement of jt tonight, but as has been said the angle was talked about throughout.

The announcers took great pains to point out Cole's advice and presence was making MJF do things that weren't helping him ("do a dive" "don't take the countount, roll him in the ring").

The devil on your shoulder giving you bad advice.

Edited by organizedkaos