AEW/NJPW Forbidden Door 2023 - June 25th

Supremo

• Paid Members

Definitely feels like a show worthy of its own thread now we’ve got some matches officially announced.

Remember last year, when despite delivering on the night, Forbidden Door had one of the most disappointing, lacklustre cards imaginable? Leading into that show, the whole thing just felt like a terrible waste of time. IWGP Title defended in a shitty four-way featuring Adam Cole?! Rubbish!

Well, not this year. Absolutely no fucking about. Good lord.

BF1251A9-95AE-4307-982E-7B5B2F6AF2F5.png.959053feda5ade624ad60270be970565.png

1F52AF5F-8138-4092-A1C2-721C68F14A82.png.b2378426727edc291917bd56c067421a.png

We are living in the best timeline. Wrap Bryan Danielson in cotton wool!

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Remember last year, when despite delivering on the night, Forbidden Door had one of the most disappointing, lacklustre cards imaginable? Leading into that show, the whole thing just felt like a terrible waste of time. IWGP Title defended in a shitty four-way featuring Adam Cole?! Rubbish!

I think last year was something of a trust run. Keep in mind that there was still some bad feeling over The Elite leaving at a key point in NJPW to form AEW in the first place. Would AEW represent them well and work well in a give-and-take relationship, or would they just cherry-pick and then just concentrate on making their own guys look good?

That was part of why they sent over more of their elder statesmen for a few runs while things were more open in the US than Japan, and AEW proved that they could treat the company as a whole with respect. Follow that up with a relatively cautious first Forbidden Door, which went successfully, and then they got Kenny Omega and others back over the last while for big NJPW shows.

At this point, it seems like there's a comfortable working relationship and NJPW now feels comfortable putting up their main guys in big matches. Okada/Danielson is a genuine dream match. We've also got CM Punk returning the week before - I suspect he won't be on it, but we might also get that Tanahashi/Punk match that was planned last year. Although I'd rather see Tanahashi/MJF.

Really, in hindsight, AEW owes Jon Moxley a lot for keeping that NJPW conversation going at all in the early days of AEW. 

Edited by Chris B

I'm sure I read that even Kota isn't totally against working with New Japan again now so could see him being on the show tagging with Elite members. Plus he's said that Hangman would be his choice of tag partner which could lead to something more down the line.

I reckon he’ll be in AEW by the time the Wembley show comes around but not within the next 3 weeks, they won’t want to disrupt the Elite/BCC/Takeshita angle taking place to throw him into a match between 2 companies he currently doesn’t work for.

35 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I reckon he’ll be in AEW by the time the Wembley show comes around but not within the next 3 weeks, they won’t want to disrupt the Elite/BCC/Takeshita angle taking place to throw him into a match between 2 companies he currently doesn’t work for.

He's been very vocally shit talking Takeshita just now after he turned on Kenny, I also took it as he's one of the guys Kenny is over in Japan to recruit as it's been made to sound like it's more than one.

But yeah, I can see it being more of a multiman match at All In with The Elite vs Don's boys with Osprey etc.

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Toru Yano vs Orange Cassidy please.

Heck yes! 

• Paid Members

I’m dying to know who Iishi is facing. Darby Allin would be a solid matchup I think. Maybe Miro too.

After the Okada match was announced the sky is very much the limit now, I think anything goes.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BrodyGraham said:

I'd rather have Yano Vs someone who'd get exasperated by his nonsense. I don't think there's anyone better for the task than new forum favourite Big Bill.

It's a perfect preshow match.

Daniel Garcia. 

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

I’m dying to know who Iishi is facing. Darby Allin would be a solid matchup I think. Maybe Miro too.

After the Okada match was announced the sky is very much the limit now, I think anything goes.

I’d love a rematch of Mox/Ishii from a few years back at the G1, they had a few great exchanges during the tag match last weekend too.