AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Battle of the Belts:

The Streetfight was fantastic. Above and beyond anything I'd expect from Battle of the Belts. The suplex on the car was spectacular. I know they're not subtle about William's size, but I have never seen something emphasise it quite as effectively as seeing that car buckle under his weight. The photocopier spot, Sammy's wall run back flip and of course the crazy height from which he dived were also impressive. Loads of other fun bits thrown in too and it all felt suitably chaotic and fun throughout. 

Hopefully Bill and Starks have escaped it now, but please don't send Hobbs and Takeshita back into the Jericho vortex next. 

Thought the opening shot of Julia vs Anna Jay was very cool, then saw someone on Twitter had noted it being used before:. Great cinematography: 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fd1f0ab3073ae6e31b35a670bdfd766b.png.8087d4b1799ca66c094a2fd569ac2323.png

Match was clunky and disjointed but honestly I was expecting worse. Anna Jay still moves around the ring incredibly uncomfortably, like every time she runs the ropes she's worried she might fall over. She is not a natural at all. She looks the part and she can be a likeable personality but man she needs like 500 more matches and she isn't going to get them. But still, this was passable enough. They kept it simple, Julia going after the arm throughout to set up Heartless.

I'm struggling to think who they can get for Julia to help her through these defenses. It can't be Statlander yet, they've already used one of the most capable/experienced hands available in Emi Sakura, anyone else who might be up to the task is either in the World title picture instead or stuck on ROH. Martinez and/or Diamante maybe? They're both solid in-ring at least and they could also do the tag match with Julia/Skye Blue, but it's hardly inspiring. I dunno, the people are behind Julia, she remains over but she needs some help. 

Nigel: "Preston Vance has been a great addition to LFI". Yeah there was that time he.... 

Main event was decent. Preston Vance is a horrible promo and he shouldn't be in LFI but he is a large fellow who can do some decent power offense, and Orange Cassidy can do great work with that. Bumped like a champ, loved the fall away slam into the Undisputed Kingdom boys. As I've said before, Orange Cassidy can do an International defense of at least good quality with zero effort at this point. Glad he's going into a feud at least, and him vs Roddy should be a belter. 

Surprisingly enjoyable BOTB that, very easy watch and the Street Fight was way above my expectations. 

Edited by JLM

Bit more star power with Danielson, Mox, and Eddie back from NJPW commitments. Could be a hit or a miss. I won't be shocked to see Bryan Keith and Queen Aminata as the enhancement talent with no story of their own for Copeland and Thunder Rosa. Since they seem to be in vogue for that role right now. Hopefully its a bit more inventive than that. 

GES3PcpWUAAttaO?format=jpg&name=large

• Paid Members

Poor Santana. Refuses to return as a tag team with Ortiz, insists he wants to be a singles competitor, has the Ortiz feud play out exclusively on Rampage, wins the blow-off, vanishes for months, and then it’s Ortiz who returns to TV first.

Just reform the tag team already, mate. It’s over.

4 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Poor Santana. Refuses to return as a tag team with Ortiz, insists he wants to be a singles competitor, has the Ortiz feud play out exclusively on Rampage, wins the blow-off, vanishes for months, and then it’s Ortiz who returns to TV first.

What happened with those two? A real life falling out? Was it over anything in particular or just that Santana wanted to go singles?

1 minute ago, Supremo said:

I can see Santana leaving whenever his contract comes up. That was the rumour before he got injured which would have added time. He's been active on the indies, so his absence on AEW is telling. He'd be a better asset to NXT than Lexus King and I think he'd be a good fit for TNA or NJPW.

8 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

spacer.png

Actually the men's single belts all shared the same ranking. Which makes it even worse when distinguishing the perceived importance of each belt and where they set.

The champions were highlighted as they couldn't/wouldn't be ranked. The rankings whenever they were used were only applied to the World Titles. The TNT/TBS were seen as open challenge titles and the All-Atlantic was so new it never really factored in before the rankings were scrapped. PAC disappeared to the UK after winning it and only came back at All Out.