AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

Why do AEW shows have so many "technical glitches"? I know they blame the weather, the network, whatever, but it never happens on WWE or any other live TV programs really, well very rarely but pretty much every AEW show there's something fucking up. It's piss poor

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Doog said:

Why do AEW shows have so many "technical glitches"? I know they blame the weather, the network, whatever, but it never happens on WWE or any other live TV programs really, well very rarely but pretty much every AEW show there's something fucking up. It's piss poor

You’d fucking love Impact PPV’s then 😉

38 minutes ago, Doog said:

The one consistent thing they tend to get wrong is the audio transitions between in the arena to backstage.

As for why there's so many technical glitches it's in part the world we live in these days that brings awareness to them. Where every complaint, especially live, gets picked up on social media and it doesn't matter if you're unaffected.

The other week when there was TBS network issues. Everyone internationally, and on the west coast feed would have been clueless.

The mystery of the big black YES or NO text on-screen. No mystery, no attempt at debuting someone. Something purely to do with FITE's feed.

Point on the previous page about technical glitches at the start of the show. I don't know if that was from a recording or live, but I don't remember anything noticeable from the feed I watched.

15 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Point on the previous page about technical glitches at the start of the show. I don't know if that was from a recording or live, but I don't remember anything noticeable from the feed I watched.

I watched on FITE. First through Roku and then checked the FITE phone app to see if it was a Roku issue or not, but the glitching was in the exact same place, so it was their feed more than anything else. Effected everything pretty much upto when Starks & Big Bill came out

17 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

They talk a lot of bollocks or just copy from elsewhere yep.

The article doesn’t even match the headline - it quotes Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio speculating that this may have been the case. Clickbait nonsense from a clickbait machine.

(Says the person who clicked on the link…)

• Paid Members

Reading about the Adam Copeland/Ricky Starks thing before seeing it, I fully expected to hate it.

My least favourite thing in pro-wrestling are, “battle,” promos where guys just bury each other for the crowd to go, “ooooh!” rather than - you know - actually sell a match. Two lads pointing out genuine flaws in each other’s acts isn’t gonna make me want to watch them fight. You just end up with two dickheads who’ve completely lost sight of what the purpose of a promo is, worse off than when they came in. I love him, but MJF is particularly guilty of it. He always adds layers and goes in interesting directions after the fact, but we’ve seen with the CM Punk, Samoa Joe and now Jay White feuds, he always starts with these awful, base layer promos you have to suffer through. Fucking Tofu chants. Rubbish. You hope The Rock realises the damaging legacy he left behind!

Plus, I genuinely think that Punk/Hangman promo was the end of the glory days of AEW. The unscripted nature of their promos finally coming off the rails, everyone’s heads falling off, bedlam both on and off screen, and the company’s honestly never truly recovered. You assume WWE - with their word-for-word scripts, going so far as to telling guys when to take a breath in order to let the crowd respond (“****”) - felt super vindicated watching Hangman and Punk drive the whole company off a cliff.

However, seeing the Copeland and Starks promo play out in real time? That was fire! It had a real crazy energy to it, like when Charlotte and Nia Jax started throwing shoot punches on Raw or when Jey Uso and Cody got stoned before a press conference. Something so wildly different in its tone and rhythm that you immediately took notice because of how real it felt. For a split second, you were unplugged from The Matrix.

Starks deserves a tonne of credit though. Whilst Copeland might have the tenure and experience, he was clearly the more flustered of the two, whereas Starks managed to steady the ship and incorporate the bollocks into the story being told. Top guy stuff. Really impressive.

So yeah, provided everyone can stay on the same page and harness and exploit it, I think there’s something there. I’d be all in favour of a feud and match between the two based on this. Maybe put everyone through the mandatory Don’t-be-CM-Punk training though, to keep anyone from working themselves into a shoot, brother.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Forgive the double post, but having now finally caught up on all the wrestling in the world (honestly, it was easier when everything was rubbish!), that main event of Collision is genuinely up there as one of my match of the year candidates.

Danielson vs. Christian was an absolute masterpiece. Everything I adore about pro-wrestling. The perfect heel against the perfect babyface having liquid pro-wrestling. All whilst Nigel McGuinness keeps making Jim Ross laugh his head off. I’ve said it before, but the grumpier JR has gotten in his old age, the more enjoyable it is when either a match or a joke gets him to pop. He was popping left, right and centre here. Distilled joy. An absolute blast.

Bryan Danielson selling his arm so spectacularly, that he needed the fucking ringside fans to help him back up?! Jesus Christ. He’s the greatest of all time.

IMG_6552.jpeg.80d27905425bc9bf2958682107df1355.jpeg

Edited by Supremo

Malakai Black singles push, starting with a programme against Danielson? YES PLEASE.

House of Spookies feud with the Blackpool Combat Club? NO TA.

Loved how small a response the lights going out got, not even a ripple of excitement given how used up that gimmick is. Still, the place went mad for Malakai which is great to see.

I desperately want Malakai Black to be good. He looks the absolute bollocks and has kept fans buying into him despite years of nothing. 

Danielson continues to be brilliant, but wish Tony K would pack up using the phrase ‘dream match’. If it happened on Smackdown in 2018 as a way of furthering a feud with The Miz, it’s not a dream match.

Big lol at the drug-lovin’ HollyHood Haley from Al Snow’s disasterzone making her debut as a jobber for AEW. I wonder if that was Al’s price for allowing Big Show to come to Kentucky and try and flog Dynamite tickets.

Bigger lol at 20 minutes after using the lights gimmick for Malakai, using it for the devil. That was the most Tony Khan thing ever. And then they kept going back to it all night. Hilarious.

The execution throughout was just weird. Like, surely if the House of Spookies gimmick all night is going to be the lights go out and out they pop - however over used that already is - you don’t do the same for the Devil? And, surely if that is what you’re going to do, you don’t then just have them run out at the end without the lights gimmick? You may as well see it through.

Still, the first one worked for me because I love the idea of a Malakai Black singles push, and it was diminishing returns after that. The final brawl was a mess, as you don’t look at that and see how they resolve that. Just when you thought it was going to be a weird Blackpool Combat Club and FTR vs House of Spookies and Bill/Starks, the House of Spookies turn on Starks. Very weird. Kudos to Big Bill for not seeming to give the slightest shit.

Jeff Jarrett getting a win over Eddie Kingston the night TNA returns? Poetry. Very weird seeing Eddie work a comedy hardcore match. The sort of match I watch and actively look forward to Cornette’s review, just in case it’s the match that finally finishes him off.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Awards Moderator

Danielson vs Andrade was a great match, and Kingston vs Jarrett was loads of fun (Eddie’s promo after actually made me want to see a Jay Lethal match).

Battle of the Belts worth watching for an enjoyable Samoa Joe squash and an absolutely electric moment with Orange Cassidy at the start. Will keep it vague as this isn’t a BOTB thread (is it?) but it was thrilling to see.