AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

2 hours ago, theringmaster said:

I think that's kind of the point; a completely different feel and tone to Dynamite

Yeah I was reading chat about the show elsewhere and one of the comments was literally the inverse of this, something like "so nice to have a show with a more serious tone (apart from Juice Robinson)"

I think there's probably an argument to be made that there's two fairly distinct groups of wrestling fans for whom the WWE style does not appeal. If ratings aren't that big an issue then having two different shows which appeal to the different groups is quite good. One big modern "elite" style and one that's more traditional serious wrestling. Keep the stories fairly seperate so there's no need to watch the show that doesn't do it for you (which seems to be what they're going for)

Obviously wrestling fans are completists and will happily watch a show that's not putting on anything they like but you know...

The show needs work, but the tone definitely does it for me and is something I hope they lean into even more. 

It feels a bit like end of days Nitro in that you have the smaller crowds necessitating more old school, darker lighting and a very small but dependable roster of 'grapplers'. There's a bit of nostalgia in that for me, so for something I watch with zero expectation it's not a bad hour skim on a hungover Sunday. 

• Paid Members

I’m all for a different tone, provided the tone isn’t, “completely skippable show, existing on an island, a televised Butlins federation, where the same eight guys find new combinations to attempt to keep it fresh.”

5 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’m all for a different tone, provided the tone isn’t, “completely skippable show, existing on an island, a televised Butlins federation, where the same eight guys find new combinations to attempt to keep it fresh.”

Or, if you're Miro, forget fresh and just do the exact same damn promo you were doing for months before you disappeared.

On 7/10/2023 at 4:12 PM, David said:

I've been enjoying it. But then I'm also getting into watching ROH as well, so it seems the bar for me isn't all that high.

Some nothing matches aside, I'm really enjoying the slower pace.

That Andretti match was probably the worst return possible for Scorpio Sky though.

He should have squashed him in under a minute, instead the world was reminded of just how bland he is as a singles wrestler.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

The minute they try and flog a Punk/Andrade feud I’m out…

The two options at this point seem to be the show goes away in a couple of months, or perhaps more amusingly Punk and the Wednesday Gang kiss and make up, do business, and the Saturday Saddo’s are staring down the barrel of a Miro/Andrade feud as their great hope of keeping the brand alive.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Punk vs Andrade sounds fucking great. Two proper pro wrestlers who refuse to lose unless it's absolutely fucking necessary because they both want to look strong and keep their spot. None of this trading wins bollocks, none of this all-mates all-lovely resslin', just two highly-strung narcissists full-on battering each other until we get a screwy finish, and then repeat. Sign me up!

Edited by Accident Prone

I think this CM Punk match tonight will give us an idea of where they're taking him as a character. I'd be surprised if he actually wins this thing, but how he reacts when he loses will tell us a lot.

If he cheap shots Starks and turns full heel I'll be more than happy. If he does the whole handshake and best man won thing, you have to wonder what's next? Where do they go with him after that?

2 hours ago, David said:

I think this CM Punk match tonight will give us an idea of where they're taking him as a character. I'd be surprised if he actually wins this thing, but how he reacts when he loses will tell us a lot.

Really? I can't really imagine Punk doing the job on free TV to Starks. 

Last weeks awful "chant for Owen" promo has confused the whole thing for me. It came across as really desperate, which doesn't really seem to suit the character. Punk winning it and playing a bullshitter who says the right things "I want to wrestle the younger guys," "I'm being myself," "I did it for Owen," but doesn't mean them has a lot of potential, and makes sense with his "tell me when I'm telling lies" stuff but I think they're more likely going for the more boring Bret Hart rip off. 

Just now, Vamp said:

Really? I can't really imagine Punk doing the job on free TV to Starks. 

Last weeks awful "chant for Owen" promo has confused the whole thing for me. It came across as really desperate, which doesn't really seem to suit the character. Punk winning it and playing a bullshitter who says the right things "I want to wrestle the younger guys," "I'm being myself," "I did it for Owen," but doesn't mean them has a lot of potential, and makes sense with his "tell me when I'm telling lies" stuff but I think they're more likely going for the more boring Bret Hart rip off. 

I think Starks has to win it, right? Surely? It is all confusing at the moment though, you're right. If Punk continues as this actual babyface that's going against much of the crowd reaction then I have no idea where they go next with him.

The idea of him being a bullshitter and saying all the fan favourite stuff but being a sneaky prick would work.