CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I always thought based on Meltz that houses were getting better under Shawn than they were under Nash but TV ratings were way down, although Nitro might be a factor there.

Houses were up, but going down, if you bear with me ; Shawn did better gate receipts that Nash but after a spike between February and March 96 where the title match was usually Bret vs Diesel or Bret vs Taker, during Shawns reign the trend was dropping. Excluding April where the only house shows were abroad (and had Bret on them) and a couple of sold-shows in Kuwait in the May time, gates kept dropping and dropping all summer (they did about 7000 in the Meadowlands) and then things started recovering as soon as Bret came back. I mean, it probably helped that clearly people were deciding to pay to see Steve Austin too, and that Taker was finally getting a sustained run as a serious title threat instead of a midcard freak show feud, but… yeah, when Bret came back.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I like CM Punk.

This is a better return than Punk June 2023.

His AEW run was a game of two halves really. The amazing return promo, a cracking little feud with Kingston and an all-timer rivalry with MJF.

Then he won the title and it all fell to shit. The constant injuries, the weird digs to Bucks and Hangman in his promos, the returns getting more lacklustre each time, the 'Real' world title which never felt like it had any heat at all, the baffling Moxley squash, all the ugliness. 

At one point he was one of my favourite wrestlers of all time so I'm incredibly grateful we got that initial year-long run of him being Best in the world again. But honestly, I'm not that arsed if we don't see him again as he seems incapable of a sustained run in wrestling without losing his head. I don't think AEW with that roster will be that hurt in the long run.

5 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Even then though you don't know if that's true or something Taker decided to 'confirm' because it makes him sound tough. 

Taker was one of those guys who lived on his rep as a tough guy. Did he actually ever rough anyone up? Or is it all Emperors New Clothes type shit? I still remember the time he went to a UFC event and was eyeballing Brock Lesnar when Lesnar was fighting, and some fans were like "I wonder if Undertaker would go into UFC for one match and fight Brock?"

As if that would happen. Although, Taker is "the best striker in the game."

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, David said:

I still remember the time he went to a UFC event and was eyeballing Brock Lesnar when Lesnar was fighting, and some fans were like "I wonder if Undertaker would go into UFC for one match and fight Brock?"

As if that would happen.

Taker and Lesnar are friends and both have admitted since that this was a work.

I'm guessing Taker's rep as a tough guy is based on bar fights and the like from back in the day. He did choke out Kurt Angle on an airplane once though. A lot of his rep as being tough was I think also based on him working at a high level with some incredibly bad injuries. 

I see Megha Parekh is the target of Camp Cornette now. Probably realises he needs a new mastermind since all he does is deride the Elite and Tony Khan as childish fanboys.

Or should that be 'Megan'. Why learn to pronounce someone's name, when you are happy with being accused of casual racism.

And being a woman in the wrestling business that can only mean one thing.

Another good ol' boy sitting on the sidelines as finally a promotion that largely broke free of those kind of influences become a successful, viable brand within months. 

Also, Cornette treats everyone like it’s the territory days and they’re either groupies or marks waiting for the buses to roll in to get ignored or exploited by the wrestlers, with nothing else going on in their lives

Megha Parekh is a serious person, she’s worked her way up the Jacksonville Jaguars organisation and is their Chief Legal Officer, as well as being Chief Legal Counsel to AEW. 

Put simply, she doesn’t need Cornette’s shit and could rinse him for every tennis racket he owns. He should just focus on his irrational hatred for all wrestling.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Cornette consistently assumes women are only in the wrestling business, or only getting a push, or only in positions of power, because they're sleeping with male wrestlers. It's gross, misogynistic, and it's unsurprising that his followers make excuses for it because he's totally a liberal progressive guy, right? 

If this becomes a legal issue, it's the least he deserves.

I'm not remotely surprised that he (and randoms on Reddit, who look to have jumped to this conclusion before him) have somehow found a way to make a woman the scapegoat in all this, I'm just amazed that they didn't find a way to make it somehow Aubrey Edwards' fault.