CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

From the sounds of it it wasn't just 2 fellas having a scuffle. It's one bloke losing his shit, throwing punches and choking out a co-worker and then physically going after his boss in front of a bunch of company employees and venue staff. Very few jobs in the world where that doesn't end up with you out on your arse.

I agree he deserved to be bulleted but "life in danger", come on.

What's the chance on Punk starting his own promotion/ being involved in the start of a new promotion or being booker somewhere.

I know it seems unlikely but with potentially limited offers in wrestling and Punk seemingly booking a lot of his own stuff in AEW and fancying himself as a locker room leader, could he emerge as star and booker of some third brand. Like the Heyman to Khan/Bishoff and TripleH/Vince

30 minutes ago, Fanny Pack said:

I agree he deserved to be bulleted but "life in danger", come on.

This is the funny thing for me, everyone’s hammering Tony for that line but we it’s the one element of the story, above all, that we have literally no idea how true it might be.

He absolutely could have been fearing for his life. We weren’t there.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

What's the chance on Punk starting his own promotion/ being involved in the start of a new promotion or being booker somewhere.

Zero chance of Punk being able to get on with THAT many people.

5 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Zero chance of Punk being able to get on with THAT many people.

I don't know, if it were his people, and he had the luxury of actually being in charge as opposed to just thinking he's in charge, I think it could work. 

Speaking of being in charge, or ‘leadership’, these things people are digging out are fascinating;

https://x.com/thomasrenegade/status/1696642873234489653?s=46

https://x.com/aaronwrotkowski/status/1696664619316609501?s=46

You sort of just get this impression of someone, I’ve said before, who is utterly in thrall to the idea of the ‘old school locker room leader’ and spent his career trying to fast forward to that point, and now he’s age appropriate people still aren’t buying it and he can’t handle it.

My hot take on the whole situation is, he sounds an awful lot of hard work.

• Paid Members

Would CM Punk's IP be worth more to WWE than anything he could offer in ring? Maybe he's not a long term in ring prospect but a last run/HOF whatever with occasional appearances like goldberg  could be worth it if they can sell merch, action figures, put him in video games etc. Especially with him who has a (admittedly not at its height right now) pretty devoted fanbase and he always does well with that stuff. 

Having said that I also always thought Punk has more potential to be able to make money post in ring career than most. He could easily disappear for years like he did before but if he wanted to stay out there with podcasts or live talks, conventions or whatever he has the potential to do better than nearly anyone.

• Paid Members

I adore that we’re at a point where if he’s still kicking off when he’s been given his own show, then maybe he needs his own promotion. Ultimately, maybe the nutter just needs to not do this for a profession anymore. He clearly has problems he can’t overcome.

Edited by Supremo

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

WWE is also no longer Vince McMahon's Domain like it once was, it's an incredibly corporate public company in the process of a high profile sale/merger. There may be significant resistance within the company to bringing in someone who has just been fired for assaulting co-workers and attempting to assault his own boss. They might see the bad press around it as not worth whatever short term business he brings in.

Good point that I hadn't thought of.

Punk and Vince apparently always had a decent relationship by all accounts. It's whether the execs see more value in 'We can get the highest ranked merchandise seller from our main competitors' or 'We can get a problematic talent who was fired from his last job'.

I guess time will tell. 

I can't imagine anyone thinking he should be in WWE except the most ardent Punk fans. And if you remotely give a toss about Punk at this point you probably want him as far from wrestling as possible.

Wrestling isn't good for Punk. Punk isn't good for wrestling. 

And anyone who's ridiculing Tony Khan for saying he feared for his life can get to fuck. There's plenty to ridicule him for, plenty to critique him for too, but stop playing the hard man and realise that watching someone choking someone else and then coming at you is probably something that makes most sane people fear for their lives. I'm sure you're rock 'ard sailor but it's effecting the density of your head. 

Reflectively it’s sad it has come to this. Watching his initial debut and it is genuinely one of those moments that just has you smiling at the screen (and this is from someone who dislikes Punk) he is obviously a very thin skinned and bitter man in a profession that swallows people like that up. Hopefully he will keep away this time and stay off twitter. 10 years time and we will have a Punk is Crud thread on here.