CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, textonly said:

The older guy who sits next to me at the Emirates said, "what is this music!? It's awful". I told him it was a wrestling theme, but pretended I only knew that because I'd read an interview with the guy who picks the songs.

Should have gone with simply "It's Cult of Personality, by Living Colour." And waited for him to call you a "melt" in reply. Whatever that is.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Should have gone with simply "It's Cult of Personality, by Living Colour." And waited for him to call you a "melt" in reply. Whatever that is.

I have literally only ever heard that term used by Chelsea and Spurs fans, or characters in Danny Dyer films. 

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I have literally only ever heard that term used by Chelsea and Spurs fans, or characters in Danny Dyer films. 

I've literally only ever heard it from Arsenal fans on Twitter.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, air_raid said:

I've literally only ever heard it from Arsenal fans on Twitter.

Sounds like it's probably just a bit of slang used by a variety of people then. Without dragging this off topic, there are moronic idiots who support every club in the land, so not an exclusive bit of terminology I suspect. 

• Paid Members

Looking at Living Colour's back catalogue, they're pretty suited for wrestling. 

If CM Punk ended up feuding with Cody Rhodes at WM or one of the big PPVs, they could pull a betrayal angle where, after playing Punk to the ring with Cult of Personality, Living Colour then play Cody to the ring with this:

or this:

A team might benefit from this:

Although this one is way out of date, sadly:

I genuinely don’t see Punk imploding, this time. If anything, I think it’s more likely his return just fizzles out if it turns out Centrist Middle-aged Punk isn’t as interesting as his shit stirring earlier iteration.

I forget who suggested it, maybe @Supremo, but I think the most likely scenario - or certainly the one Punk is planning for currently - is he seeks vindication by being absolutely drama-free through this run. That’s how you get the last laugh over the other mob, and try and convince people they were the problem. You just get on with everyone, and smile and grin through whatever shit sandwiches you have to eat.

Whether that makes for good telly or not, who knows?

Alternatively, I’m full of shite, and he thumps Austin Theory for doing a spot he considers to be too dangerous.

41 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Whether that makes for good telly or not, who knows?

You can make good telly without being a cunt backstage. Play up the character on TV. Do socials or whatever else. I don't know if they want to lean into it too much or just ignore the drama aspects. He's more than capable of telling a story that isn't that one.

1 minute ago, DavidB6937 said:

You can make good telly without being a cunt backstage. Play up the character on TV. Do socials or whatever else. I don't know if they want to lean into it too much or just ignore the drama aspects. He's more than capable of telling a story that isn't that one.

I dunno. I think it’s all part of the same package with him. Real life drama, hinted at on screen, temperature slowly builds and then something happens.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Alternatively, I’m full of shite, and he thumps Austin Theory for doing a spot he considers to be too dangerous.

There's a point there, actually, in that if Punk's issues with Jack Perry came about because of Perry wanting to do a dangerous spot, that specific set of circumstances is unlikely to come about in WWE, because talent don't have that level of input in their matches. I don't know how tightly scripted/micromanaged promos are in WWE today, but it seems unlikely that you'll get talent in a position to say something in a promo that he feels is off limits either. 

It might be more a question of if Punk is able to get on with management than with his fellow workers, or if actually the WWE environment is just far better designed for reigning this sort of nonsense in. I can't really imagine a situation where someone can go around lamping their co-workers and causing every problem under the sun at one employer, and then turn into a model employee (sorry, independent contractor) at the next, particularly when they've seemingly been allowed to walk into a big money deal at the second employer without ever really having had to account for their actions at the last one, but wrestling isn't the real world and stranger things have happened.

The other thing is it might just show up how AEW is, or was, as leaky as a sieve. The same sort of bollocks probably goes on at WWE as well, but it doesn't (generally) find its way on to TV or press conferences, and what happens backstage tends to stay backstage, to some extent.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The other thing is it might just show up how AEW is, or was, as leaky as a sieve. The same sort of bollocks probably goes on at WWE as well, but it doesn't (generally) find its way on to TV or press conferences, and what happens backstage tends to stay backstage, to some extent.

Would you say this is a symptom of Meltzer being very close to many of the high-ups in AEW?

Punk responded to the latest WWE reel of his return to Raw with: “Spiritually still living in this moment, Saturday’s moment, and I can’t wait until Friday.”

Can you imagine him using the word ‘spiritually’?

They’re working something. Be fun if he goes down the route of those bro podcast twerps and turns to things like ‘mindfulness’, positive mental attitude and spirituality etc, before Seth Rollins tries to tear him down and prove he’s a lying sack of shit.

*EDIT* I’d be all the way in on some sort of reversioning of the SES era Punk, only instead of being better than everyone because he doesn’t neck pints or smoke bifters, he’s trying to cure the locker room of its negativity and toxicity with his own newfound spirituality and belief in the power of the collective good over the individual desires. Get Gallows in there. Have him shave Shotzi’s hair (again) and get her in there as the 2023 Serena Deeb. 

There’s enough source material, with how many locker room dissension stories they’ve got on the go. Jey Uso, Drew McIntyre, even Punk’s mate Bayley’s about to get kicked out of her group. Punk, recasting himself as the saviour of locker room harmony because he’s a changed man? Trying to recruit people to his wellness cult? Superb.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz