The OnlyThread

Merzbow

1 hour ago, Tamura said:

I'm not sure why people are willing to pay money simply because someone wrestles in WWE/AEW/wherever. 

It's because psychologically you form a one way relationship with wrestlers. 

Bob the fan dosent want to watch some random girls knockers. No, Bob the fan is a voyeur and wants to see the knockers of the female wrestler he grown fond of over the years.

• Paid Members
On 1/21/2023 at 7:52 PM, Loki said:

As I’ve said before, I’m torn between thinking that it’s empowering that female wrestlers get to control and benefit from their image, and thinking it’s something of a retrograde step for an entertainment form that’s spent years trying to disassociate itself from grot.

In the years since WWE stopped doing Diva bikini shoots women’s wrestling has become much more respected, promoted and appreciated in the US and that can’t be a coincidence.

Thing is, whilst I get that reasoning, my more immediate thought is "Shouldn't we be viewing this as a chance to work towards freeing ourselves as a society from all the bullshit stemming from repression surrounding sex and sex-work?" The fact we call it "grot" speaks volumes as to our attitude, societally speaking, towards the subject.

Instead of seeing "this sort of thing" as bringing down the respectability of something, I'd like to see a shift in mindset where we don't see it as disreputable or dirty or sleazy. Would certainly help to reduce the shit that people working in the industry have to deal with.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Thing is, whilst I get that reasoning, my more immediate thought is "Shouldn't we be viewing this as a chance to work towards freeing ourselves as a society from all the bullshit stemming from repression surrounding sex and sex-work?"

I BET IT IS CARBOMB YOU DIRTY OLD BOLLOCKS. I BET IT FUCKING IS

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Thing is, whilst I get that reasoning, my more immediate thought is "Shouldn't we be viewing this as a chance to work towards freeing ourselves as a society from all the bullshit stemming from repression surrounding sex and sex-work?" The fact we call it "grot" speaks volumes as to our attitude, societally speaking, towards the subject.

Instead of seeing "this sort of thing" as bringing down the respectability of something, I'd like to see a shift in mindset where we don't see it as disreputable or dirty or sleazy. Would certainly help to reduce the shit that people working in the industry have to deal with.

Put it another way - would you be happy if your 8 year old daughter expressed a desire to grow up to become a professional wrestler?  Quite possibly nowadays.

Would you be happy if your 8 year old daughter expressed a desire to grow up to become a topless OnlyFans model? Almost certainly not.  We may be more tolerant as a society but  I don’t think we’re there yet.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Loki said:

Put it another way - would you be happy if your 8 year old daughter expressed a desire to grow up to become a professional wrestler?  Quite possibly nowadays.

Would you be happy if your 8 year old daughter expressed a desire to grow up to become a topless OnlyFans model? Almost certainly not.  We may be more tolerant as a society but  I don’t think we’re there yet.

That's kind of what I'm getting at. That's the attitude we should be ditching. The idea that sex and sex-work is so awful and nasty that we wouldn't want our kids doing it is such a toxic question.

If my eight year-old daughter said that, I wouldn't set any store by it, because kids change their minds. 

If my sixteen year-old daughter said it, I would simply ask why, to make sure she didn't have any mistaken ideas about what it involves. I'd also ask her to speak to someone involved first, so that she didn't put herself in danger, and had a clearer picture of whether it was for her or not.

Ultimately, what I would want as a parent for my child should have no bearing on the choices she (or he) as a consenting adult makes as regards their career or sexual behaviour, as long as they are safe, happy, earning a living, and not hurting anyone else. 

Edited by Carbomb

Just now, Carbomb said:

That's kind of what I'm getting at. That's the attitude we should be ditching. The idea that sex and sex-work is so awful and nasty that we wouldn't want our kids doing it is such a toxic question.

If my eight year-old daughter said that, I wouldn't set any store by it, because kids change their minds. 

If my sixteen year-old daughter said it, I would simply ask why, to make sure she didn't have any mistaken ideas about what it involves. I'd also ask her to speak to someone involved first, so that she didn't put herself in danger.

Ultimately, what I would want as a parent for my child should have no bearing on the choices she (or he) makes as regards their career or sexual behaviour, as long as they are safe, happy, earning a living, and not hurting anyone else. 

Well I respect that, but I think a lot of people might not go that far, myself included.  Without getting into a whole debate about whether sex work is a liberating post-feminist career or an expression of a male-dominated patriarchy (or both), I still feel women's wrestling would benefit from being kept separate from it.

• Paid Members
On 1/21/2023 at 1:23 PM, SuperBacon said:

I may be very wrong here, but I don't think Merzbow is asking for links or pics, rather that it should have its own thread for discussion 

Looking for "buddies" so to speak? Slippery slope!

• 3 weeks later...