TNA… Cross the Line again

garynysmon

12 hours ago, garynysmon said:

In fairness there have been some rough tapings when it looked and sounded like there was no one there.

This put me off initially, there were some shows where it seemed like there were only a handful of people there, and the atmosphere was just dead. It was pretty surprising to see how far they had fallen, and their decline is certainly a cautionary tale to other companies. I'd absolutely love to see them get a better TV deal, and emerge as a solid third company in US wrestling - they'll never quite be on the level of AEW, but it would be nice to see them closer in size to what they once were; with the ability to pay wrestlers accordingly - and retain some of their more valuable wrestlers, rather than act as a feeder system for WWE and AEW. 

Punk was at the Sunday tapings reportedly. He's showed up before to hang out with people and they were still in Chicago, so nothing too unusual, but if he was willing and they could cough up the cash I'd get him for Hard to Kill in a heartbeat. In terms of the gap between TNA and AEW he is a needle mover. We're all sick of his shit but played right, having him back for a one night only deal where he's allowed air his grievances and have a 15 minute 'dream' match with someone on their roster would bring a lot of the hardcore fans back into the fold. They won't all stick around, but if you want a lightening rod to get eyes on your relaunch that's surely it. 

Though in saying that I can also see how it'd just be negative connotation and sort of flying in the face of how the promotion's built themselves back up pretty much solely on in-house dedication. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

We're all sick of his shit but played right, having him back for a one night only deal where he's allowed air his grievances and have a 15 minute 'dream' match with someone on their roster would bring a lot of the hardcore fans back into the fold.

Who on their roster qualifies?

11 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Who on their roster qualifies?

It's subjective, right? For the level TNA are at they could advertise a lot of matches as dream matches solely because they've got Punk in the ring. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Punk was at the Sunday tapings reportedly. He's showed up before to hang out with people and they were still in Chicago, so nothing too unusual, but if he was willing and they could cough up the cash I'd get him for Hard to Kill in a heartbeat. In terms of the gap between TNA and AEW he is a needle mover. We're all sick of his shit but played right, having him back for a one night only deal where he's allowed air his grievances and have a 15 minute 'dream' match with someone on their roster would bring a lot of the hardcore fans back into the fold. They won't all stick around, but if you want a lightening rod to get eyes on your relaunch that's surely it. 

Though in saying that I can also see how it'd just be negative connotation and sort of flying in the face of how the promotion's built themselves back up pretty much solely on in-house dedication. 

I saw a report say he was paid 10-15x more than the best paid wrestler in Impact as a reason he wouldn't join Impact/TNA.

But surely he has enough money. The most Punk Rock thing would be to go to the small company to try and raise their profile. The only issue with that is as he demonstrated in AEW, he ain't punk rock no more. But if he could lift the chip off his shoulder, I would love to see him there.

42 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I saw a report say he was paid 10-15x more than the best paid wrestler in Impact as a reason he wouldn't join Impact/TNA.

But surely he has enough money. The most Punk Rock thing would be to go to the small company to try and raise their profile. The only issue with that is as he demonstrated in AEW, he ain't punk rock no more. But if he could lift the chip off his shoulder, I would love to see him there.

I mean, if WWE don't want him and AEW don't want him, his options become pretty limited. Perhaps he could make limited appearances for New Japan, and balance that with the odd indie/TNA appearance if he's doing it simply because he's caught the wrestling bug again. 

I would imagine, even if he does go to WWE, they'd be tempted to lowball him as far as an offer goes; on the logic that they don't need him, so therefore they don't need to pay him well. If he accepts, great - they've acquired a proven draw at a lower rate. If he declines, it's no problem - they're doing perfectly well without him, and they won't have to deal with his apparent attitude problems. 

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I don't think a TNA appearance for Punk is completely out of the question, even if it's a short term thing or a contract that requires a very limited number of appearances. 

4 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I mean, if WWE don't want him and AEW don't want him, his options become pretty limited. Perhaps he could make limited appearances for New Japan, and balance that with the odd indie/TNA appearance if he's doing it simply because he's caught the wrestling bug again. 

I would imagine, even if he does go to WWE, they'd be tempted to lowball him as far as an offer goes; on the logic that they don't need him, so therefore they don't need to pay him well. If he accepts, great - they've acquired a proven draw at a lower rate. If he declines, it's no problem - they're doing perfectly well without him, and they won't have to deal with his apparent attitude problems. 

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I don't think a TNA appearance for Punk is completely out of the question, even if it's a short term thing or a contract that requires a very limited number of appearances. 

Yeah well said guys ...I still think WWE might take a chance on punk.

I'll probably post longer about it one day but TNA 2005 where Raven won the belt up to where Sting beats Jeff Jarrett at Bound for Glory 2006 is my favourite TNA era. A weird combo of WCW, Southern Wrasslin, NWA Wildside, WWE structure tropes, but with a six sided ring and a Memphis cliffhanger. Absolutely love that period. Recorded that entire block on LP VHS tapes back when. Grrrrrrr, great days!

• Paid Members

I think a likely scenario is that Punk may well be retired. If he turns up at Survivor Series then its a moot point.

But he’s popped up twice at Impact shows now and by all accounts was accepted backstage. A dressing room not packed of big name stars is likely to be much more deferential to him than AEW’s.

I doubt he’d ever come in full time but given his best mates Lou D’Angeli (Sign Guy Dudley) already is, and Ace Steel may well be working backstage going forward, the scene is being set isn’t it?

Could I see a limited dates deal or one off PPV appearance featuring Punk v Alexander in a decent sized arena in Chicago? Absolutely.

I know Will Ospreay has been very complimentary of Impact this week and how he grew up watching TNA and wants to compete for TNA again, but there’s no way in hell Impact would win out in any bidding war.

They could go in with New Japan on a joint offer (given neither really operate full-time) but even so, he’s 30 now and probably thinks its time for the pay day. He’s WWE/AEW bound for sure.

Out of the two I could see Punk signing over Ospreay. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

I think a likely scenario is that Punk may well be retired. If he turns up at Survivor Series then its a moot point.

But he’s popped up twice at Impact shows now and by all accounts was accepted backstage. A dressing room not packed of big name stars is likely to be much more deferential to him than AEW’s.

I doubt he’d ever come in full time but given his best mates Lou D’Angeli (Sign Guy Dudley) already is, and Ace Steel may well be working backstage going forward, the scene is being set isn’t it?

Could I see a limited dates deal or one off PPV appearance featuring Punk v Alexander in a decent sized arena in Chicago? Absolutely.

I know Will Ospreay has been very complimentary of Impact this week and how he grew up watching TNA and wants to compete for TNA again, but there’s no way in hell Impact would win out in any bidding war.

They could go in with New Japan on a joint offer (given neither really operate full-time) but even so, he’s 30 now and probably thinks its time for the pay day. He’s WWE/AEW bound for sure.

Out of the two I could see Punk signing over Ospreay. 

I can see Ospreay signing with TNA but staying part time with NJPW which would allow him to work elsewhere. More likely than what WWE will offer as they won’t allow him outside for others. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

He's someone I never thought would appeal to WWE or their audience but he does seem to have improved over the last couple of years and become a more complete package, much like your AJ and Kenny Omega type journey. So I think he'd do alright now. But I'd be very surprised if he'd want to pick them over the freedom he'd inevitably get with other options.

I think if WWE genuinely aren’t interested in him, Punk could end up doing a bit in TNA.

He was very clear before it all went south in AEW that he’d fallen in love with wrestling again and just wanted to work, and his mates are in TNA now. He also seems acutely aware of his age and having limited time left, so might just take the opportunity for a year or two of wrestling with little pressure.

I’d probably start watching again regularly to see how a start of his size adapts to that environment.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Will has said he's definitely open to moving to America full time and working for WWE, there's probably another thread for that but I think he's now courting a big deal from whoever will offer the biggest.

Ospreay has recently taken on Barry Bloom as his agent.

You only do that if you’re looking to get the best deal possible. Can’t say I blame him.

His style means he’s not going to have a long career.

Edited by garynysmon

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I'll probably post longer about it one day but TNA 2005 where Raven won the belt up to where Sting beats Jeff Jarrett at Bound for Glory 2006 is my favourite TNA era. A weird combo of WCW, Southern Wrasslin, NWA Wildside, WWE structure tropes, but with a six sided ring and a Memphis cliffhanger. Absolutely love that period. Recorded that entire block on LP VHS tapes back when. Grrrrrrr, great days!

I completely agree with this. TNA was bloody brilliant then and it remains an underated time in that promotion/wrestling in general. Well said!