Pete's 2023 Breaking Death News Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Great actor. As said he had a heck of a distinctive voice. 82 isn't too bad of an innings. Not a great week for the acting world. 

1 hour ago, cobra_gordo said:

What a voice too. Loved him playing a prick in Layer Cake.

"You're born, you take shit.

You get out in the world, you take more shit.

You climb a little higher, you take less shit.

Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like.

Welcome to the layer cake son."

Proper great actor with a vast range.  Imo personally, the second best Dumbledore but obviously that's one of his best-known roles.

• Paid Members

Probably just me, but it always feels a slap in the face to someone with a long life and incredible filmography to see the BBC News headline just be "Harry Potter actor dies". 

I first knew him from The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Their Lover, a film I saw far too young, because my Dad was a massive Greenaway fan. I probably most readily associate him with that, Layer Cake and Fantastic Mr. Fox, not necessarily in that order. He also had an entertaining turn in The Book of Eli, a film that I have an inordinate soft spot for. 

He also replaced John Hurt as Jim Henson's StoryTeller for the Greek myths episodes, which I must have watched as a kid at some point.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, BomberPat said:

Probably just me, but it always feels a slap in the face to someone with a long life and incredible filmography to see the BBC News headline just be "Harry Potter actor dies". 

No, not just you. I get it, but my heart sinks. 

17 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That's just how news these days works thought isn't it?

It doesn't detract from the incredible career he clearly had, but it HAS to grab people in what people knew him best for.

Edit: sorry Pat, that sounds quite patronising reading it back, but yeah just how it goes innit.

Edited by SuperBacon

Didn’t he play Dumbledore in 5 or so films? Sure he’s had a great career but a headline is just that, a headline. And it’s one of the biggest film series of all time and it’s what most people will know him from. It’ll be like when Ian McKellen dies, it’ll be “Gandalf” or “Magneto” and not “Walter”

It’ll be interesting when Sean Astin buys the farm, given the Stranger Things / LOTR / Goonies chatter that emerges whenever he’s mentioned!

Also, roffle 

11 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

With all due respect to Michael Gambon, if it wasn't Harry Potter my next film I'd relate him to is Ali G Indahouse so Harry Potter is probably a nice and safe title.

And bootcut jeans and body warmer enthusiasts will know him from the last corner of the Top Gear track. Proper Top Gear that is, before the wokes ruined it. I just want my country back etc. 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

And bootcut jeans and body warmer enthusiasts will know him from the last corner of the Top Gear track. Proper Top Gear that is, before the wokes ruined it. I just want my country back etc. 

Michael Gammonbon?