Mes que un Thread (22-23 Domestic Football, unless domestic is Scotland)

Duke

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

It's nice to not have Norwich* up and down every bloody year. 

*Sorry to any Norwich fans, obviously I'd rather have you in the league than Arsenal or bloody Bournemouth. 

Totally fair - even I’m glad Nodge haven’t gone up this season. 

Compared to other clubs we’ve been very blessed to have some great memories particularly over the last 15 years or so - promotions including a great day out at Wembley in 2015, some big wins over the likes of Manchester City even when the rest of our Prem seasons went to shit. Even when we’ve been relegated, the business at large has been mostly positive when it comes to the wider infrastructure of the operational element of the club. 

On the pitch I think it’s been a really lacklustre season. I don’t lay the blame at the owners or Stuart Webber (Sporting Director). I lay it at the door of the playing staff. For the talent we have at our disposal, they simply haven’t given enough effort. They failed Dean Smith and they’ve failed David Wagner in the second half of the season. I’m sure both coaches could have done more and aren’t entirely faultless, but in every game I’ve attended this season there’s been a lack of zest and a lack of bite from a lot of our key protagonists. 

We are stagnating quite badly at the moment and I think it will take a couple of years to get it right at best - we’re due an Ipswich-style barren run in the Championship wilderness I think. To be fair, we’ve had many great moments in the sun in the last few years - football comes and goes in cycles. We’ll have another cycle eventually. 

I'm sorry @Fatty Facesitter I just picked them on a whim. I always just think "Well how much fun can it be to be promoted just to be relegated again?" when I'm sure, as you have pointed out, it has its highlights.

It's a bit like Spurs and the Champions League. 2019 aside, it's rarely that enjoyable when we just qualify and then get beat loads and aren't really that competitive. 

Anyway I hear the Europa Conference League is where the big boys play these days, right? Right?

A dreadful day for Leicester as results couldn't have gone worse for them. I can't think of another winner of one of the big European leagues to be relegated (potentially) within a shorter period of 7 years (Juventus and Rangers don't count) Anyone?

Everton were brilliant at Brighton and good value for that result. 

Everton galvanised and playing Man City next and Brighton collapsing and playing Arsenal next. Of course, ffs. 

Edited by SuperBacon

• Awards Moderator
7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

A dreadful day for Leicester as results couldn't have gone worse for them. I can't think of another winner of one of the big European leagues to be relegated (potentially) within a shorter period of 7 years (Juventus and Rangers don't count) Anyone? 

Blackburn went down 4 years after they won the Prem.

What a fantastic day that was for a Sunderland fan.

Not even in the past week did I think we’d actually make the play offs, let alone this time last year when we scraped 5th place in League One. Just an astonishing effort from literal kids. (Massive effort from Blackburn to help us today)

We went from being an embarrassment of a club and having past it wrong-uns like Darron Gibson, Kyle Lafferty and Marc McNulty to having incredibly bright young players with an actual future in the game and a willingness to give a shit about the club. Not only that but we have the youngest team in the entire league - an average age of 22. Just utter madness.

As I say, these are kids and for most of them it’s their first season even at Championship level. You only have to watch us once to see the beautiful football they’re capable of, it’s truly a joy to watch and there’s been several times this season we’ve scored goals that would make peak Barca ‘08 blush.

In no way am I expecting this playoff run to amount to much. But even if we hadn’t finished 6th, I would have been so proud of this team and how it’s brought everyone back together after what was a really depressing and embarrassing 5 years. It’s nice to look forward to games.

If somehow we do go all the way I’ll be petitioning door to door for a Mowbray statue outside of the SoL, made out of Jaffa Cakes.

• Paid Members

The Rovers looked like they'd given up the ghost at half time on Monday, but that was a heck of a swan song for Brereton-Diaz, and a heck of a performance. I don't know how they'll do without a striker next season unless Bradley Dack can find his shooting boots, or Adam Armstrong wants to come back from Southampton. 

Still, could be worse. At least we're not Champoins, like those six fingered sister lovers from down the road. 

FB_IMG_1683678428724.jpg

• Paid Members

Going back to Millwall briefly, I just remembered that when they were an actual top flight side when I was a kid, my mum refused to let me go and watch United play them at Old Trafford "in case it gets violent".

23 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Going back to Millwall briefly, I just remembered that when they were an actual top flight side when I was a kid, my mum refused to let me go and watch United play them at Old Trafford "in case it gets violent".

Whereas now of course the trouble would all be from the fans sharing a train back to Euston!!!!!

1 minute ago, jazzygeofferz said:

You're like the Darren Young of this forum, Keith. 

Not sure who he is but I assume he is much loved in his field for his easy going nature and variety of hilarious catchphrases. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

You're like the Darren Young of this forum, Keith. 

A gay, black, Poundland John Cena?