Mes que un Thread (22-23 Domestic Football, unless domestic is Scotland)

Duke

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

"Didn't want to win One of the all time great bottlings. Have a great Sunday night all!!! 

In fairness, Spurs are the experts in such matters, so that's quite the compliment. 

In all seriousness, I would have bitten the hand off to be anywhere near the position we are in, if offered at the start of the season. Obviously it's disappointing to have not kept pace and won the league, but such is life.

Still a way better season than expected and no last minute scrap for CL places, mustn't grumble. 

Just now, mim731 said:

In all seriousness, I would have bitten the hand off to be anywhere near the position we are in, if offered at the start of the season. Obviously it's disappointing to have not kept pace and won the league, but such is life.

Still a way better season than expected and no last minute scrap for CL places, mustn't grumble. 

NOW SAY IT WITHOUT CRYING!!! LOLOLOLOLOL.

No but seriously, what is the point of football if you can't laugh at your rivals (and yourselves) when they fuck it up big time.

We are all adults (well most of us) and not virgins on Twitter who think that an attack on their football team is a personal attack on them.

Arsenal have well and truly fucked the title and I'm going to laugh and laugh at that.

Of course Arsenal are going to say that coming second is a massive improvement on last year, because of course it is and they're entitled to feel proud but the rest of us will laugh and laugh and laugh.

Spurs are absolutely crap and have won 3 trophies in 30 years and our rivals laugh at that. 

Liverpool fans will laugh at Everton (apart from those absolute "actually ill miss the derby" weirdos) and Everton fans will...continue to be the whingiest twats going (Scott aside obvs) 

That's how it should be, as otherwise football would be really boring, as no one wins all the time. Apart from City clearly.

Also, this made me laugh more than it should've, for the Top Boy fans among us.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

NOW SAY IT WITHOUT CRYING!!! LOLOLOLOLOL.

No but seriously, what is the point of football if you can't laugh at your rivals (and yourselves) when they fuck it up big time.

We are all adults (well most of us) and not virgins on Twitter who think that an attack on their football team is a personal attack on them.

Arsenal have well and truly fucked the title and I'm going to laugh and laugh at that.

Of course Arsenal are going to say that coming second is a massive improvement on last year, because of course it is and they're entitled to feel proud but the rest of us will laugh and laugh and laugh.

Spurs are absolutely crap and have won 3 trophies in 30 years and our rivals laugh at that.

Oh no-one is saying you shouldn't enjoy it, certainly not me. I'm just positing that I'm still pleased with how the season went and the enjoyment of Spurs fans (bless them they don't have much to enjoy these days) has little bearing on my feelings about the season. 

5 minutes ago, mim731 said:

the enjoyment of Spurs fans (bless them they don't have much to enjoy these days)

These years more like.

Fair play to Brighton, who were absolutely dreadful last week against Everton, but were really good today. 

Keep their manager, couple more astute signings and keep hold of their best, and they could well be up there next year.

And a word for Brentford, the greatest of all the West London teams, who secured a top half finish today. Lovely.

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members

I don't think it's fair or accurate to say Arsenal bottled it. Of course, Spurs fans will frame it like that because it's funnier. Just like I will if City don't win the Champions League although that will be a bottling because it's theirs for the taking.

But realistically Arsenal were never going to sustain the pace they set with the squad they had. They probably needed to be further ahead of City once they got to February because from that point on City just win every game and know how to close out a season. They also needed to win at the Emptihad but they got twatted and that was it, they were never coming back from that.

It was just one season too early for them. What's on their side is that it's not like the squad's going to break up in the summer and if they can add one really high quality player in midfield, attack and especially defence they've got a better shot next season. But it also remains to be seen whether this team can get better or whether they've already hit their peak. I don't think they have, it's a young side that should improve, but it's a possibility too.

25 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I don't think it's fair or accurate to say Arsenal bottled it.

8 points clear with 9 games to go, so it was also their's for the taking. 

2 up against Liverpool, drew 2-2. 2-0 up at West Ham, miss a penalty to go 3-1 up and they drew 2-2. Drawing 3-3 at home with bottom placed Southampton after going 3-1 down. And a 0-3 home loss to (admittedly) a very good Brighton team. All at the business end of the season.

Of course I am biased, and I do think it's funny, but those results are a complete bottling, regardless of what club it is.

And from being 8 points clear with 9 games to go, City could now win the league with 3 games to spare. 

Of course they have an excellent squad, and they should be proud of where they've come after the end of season collapse last year and Champions League football will attract better players, but I'd be sick all summer if my club had done that (stop laughing) after being top pretty much all season.

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

8 points clear with 9 games to go, so it was also their's for the taking. 

2 up against Liverpool, drew 2-2. 2-0 up at West Ham, miss a penalty to go 3-1 up and they drew 2-2. Drawing 3-3 at home with bottom placed Southampton after going 3-1 down. And a 0-3 home loss to (admittedly) a very good Brighton team. All at the business end of the season.

Of course I am biased, and I do think it's funny, but those results are a complete bottling, regardless of what club it is.

And from being 8 points clear with 9 games to go, City could now win the league with 3 games to spare. 

Of course they have an excellent squad, and they should be proud of where they've come after the end of season collapse last year and Champions League football will attract better players, but I'd be sick all summer if my club had done that (stop laughing) after being top pretty much all season.

They were 8 clear with 9 to go but City had a game in hand. You'd need to win 22 points out of a remaining 27 from then on and hope for a hand from goal difference, which is asking a lot of a young team not experienced in this position.

They're ahead of where they should be, realistically nobody expected them to be City's closest challengers this season. They'll be gutted certainly, we all would be in that position, but I'm just surprised so many people actually thought they'd win the league even from that position.They're not ready.

20 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

realistically nobody expected them to be City's closest challengers this season

Absolutely not. In fact, a reminder for you all that I went halves with a mate at the end of last season on a £50 bet on Spurs to win the league!!! 

• Paid Members

I don't know why I'm defending them anyway because there's now an increasing probability that United will have to be the ones to try and prevent the Illegal Treble. Jesus.

The thing is, it is too early for Arsenal and they have a great young team but next season should be a lot tougher. You have Newcastle who will be building their team for Europe with the unlimited budget at their disposal, fuck knows what Spurs will be like, United finally have a good manager who knows what is required of making a functioning winning team  plus potentially an even bigger #warchest than usual, Chelsea are due a good season and for the good of the nation you’d think Liverpool will come back stronger next season. You don’t get many chances against this City team, you practically have to be flawless and I don’t think Arsenal will get a better chance than this for a few years. Throw Declan Rice in the line up and they might go some way though.