Vince McMahon is back. "I hear ya a racist now, father?"

IANdrewDiceClay

Itā€™s interesting. Iā€™m amazed no one outside the WWE has taken a look yet, and gone ā€˜we might need to stop thisā€™.

The NFL/MLB/MLS/NBA etc etc would never be allowed to sell to a foreign government, so Iā€™ll be amazed if the WWE get a completely free pass.Ā 
Ā 

In this country thereā€™d at least be restrictions on sale.

Such a shame if it does go Saudi.

Yeah, exactly my thoughts. Are we certain the US Government are going to be happy with what they class as one of their leading 'sports' associations falling into the hands of a controversial foreign Government?

I'm sure there is more to this than meets the eye - for example, we can confidently speculate this is Vince's favoured route. Is it possible Vince is briefing the press that a deal is done in order to weaken the hand of other board members who may favour a sale to an American media giant?

• Paid Members

I won't believe the Saudi deal until someone credibleĀ confirms it, but it would be a fitting end to the company. Everything seems to be moving too fast for a sale of a company of this size to have gone through, but we'll see how it pans out.

There has to be more to the Vince story than what's come out already - between Steph getting out a month before the news broke (and again now), Vince's reaction changing from a victory lap to quietly fucking off in the night, it always felt like there was something on the verge of being revealed. Beyond that, I have to believe that Vince knew there was something coming down the line when he opted to wrestle at Wrestlemania for the first time in ten years, and do the self-congratulatory Pat McAfee interview last year. He'd been booking his own departure for a while.

• Paid Members
Just now, LaGoosh said:

Has this been reported by any major news outlets? There's a world of difference between real world journalists and wrestling "journalists", after all.

This industry was built on wild speculation and people with no idea what they're talking about offering their unwanted opinions as fact and i'll be dammed if anyone takes that away from me!!

The Saudis have had stakes in American companies for decades. Hell watch the Michael Moore films about the Bush government to see the treatment the royal family receive. If you strip away your affection for wrestling, wwe are a medium sized tv production company that makes tv shows that are based around wrestling. Comparisons to real sports being bought arenā€™t even close.Ā 
Ā 

the deal itself is unlikely to be formally agreed in the coming days, but a letter of intent can be signed that has the high level agreements and then it works itā€™s way through lawyers. Wwe wonā€™t die, most people who watch donā€™t care, they just want to watch wrestlingĀ