We should have a thread dedicated to the greatest comedy of all time,  and what better reason to kick one off than with all the lads.

Just finished watching it all again for what must be the fiftieth time, and I've decided that Are You Right There Father Ted is the funniest episode. It's absolutely perfect. This will change next viewing I'm sure. 

Also, I think I've told this on here before but I used to see Dermot pretty much every day before school, and he always made time to chat to a bunch of stupid, silly school kids and I genuinely feel privileged that I got to have those interactions with him. Memories I treasure. 

I think it won the UKFF's sitcom, and rightly so. Its got such a brilliant odd world of characters, the only good performance Ardal O'Hanlon ever did. Love the lads still working the gimmicks. 

Not even being written by ya know etc can even ruin it. 

Edited by Chili

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, Chili said:

Yeah I don't know about that. Its been a long time since I've watched Father Ted, so I don't know if this applies, but certainly re-watching The IT Crowd raises a few eyebrows given Glinners current views.

55 minutes ago, neil said:

re-watching The IT Crowd raises a few eyebrows given Glinners current views.

The 2013 special was pretty uncomfortable viewing recently, with much of it devoted to the hilarity of a man's dubious choice to wear women's trousers. Out of context, it's still a crap episode, but coming from that writer now that we know who he is/what he's become, it just feels insidious.

Thankfully we can attribute Father Ted's positives to Arthur Mathews and forget that other berk had anything to do with it. La-la-la.

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, neil said:

Yeah I don't know about that. Its been a long time since I've watched Father Ted, so I don't know if this applies, but certainly re-watching The IT Crowd raises a few eyebrows given Glinners current views.

I don't like it so I wouldn't know, but is there really other than the infamous storyline that kicked that whole business off? More than the casual transphobia that's prevalent in the other comedies of its time? 

42 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

We had this thread which talks a bit about it 

And of course, this was fucking amazing. 

Thanks, I did the whole "UKFF+Father Ted" Google search and saw those, but thought a new thread might be better...ya little bollix.

From what I remember last time, it's really just that one episode about the woman who used to be a man, that felt decidedly dated.  And to be completely fair, at the time nobody really blinked at it which shows you how much more prominent trans rights are now.

Other than that it's mainly taking the piss out of nerds, and boss-eyed people.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Loki said:

From what I remember last time, it's really just that one episode about the woman who used to be a man, that felt decidedly dated.  And to be completely fair, at the time nobody really blinked at it which shows you how much more prominent trans rights are now.

While there's wasn't a huge backlash, he did get a bit of criticism about it at the time. His reaction to that criticism basically set him on the bananas crusade he's on now, torching his career and family life in the process. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

Ted was incredible. To this day, my best mate and I greet each other by exclaiming “Ted!!!” In the manner of Graham Norton as Father Noel Furlong in the Richard Wilson episode. Either of us always manages to say “I hear you’re a racist now, Father!” whenever the topic of racism comes up, and I never fail to smirk every time July 19th rolls around. At the time, the anticipation of every episode was through the roof for me to see what Jack would do or say. Never mind “Drink” or “Feck” - it was the unexpected stuff. I pissed myself when he woke from his snooze with “I’m a happy camper!” when they were moving his chair, and “I like cake!” from Hell (the holiday episode) tickles me to this day, for reasons unknown. Even in my working day, I snuck in a reference to “very very very very very very VERY very very very dark blue” the other day to see if anyone spotted it (one lad did). I’m not sure any other British sitcom managed to gauge surrealism so well - off the wall, but grounded enough to be hilarious without you going “what was that??” or getting too daft. And Alexei Sayle never turned up.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Chili said:

I think it won the UKFF's sitcom, and rightly so. Its got such a brilliant odd world of characters, the only good performance Ardal O'Hanlon ever did. Love the lads still working the gimmicks. 

It also won the UKFF's 'Best Christmas Special' vote as well, IIRC.

I love Ted, and not even the association with fucking Glinner can ruin it. The same applies to Black Books, but thankfully he wasn't really involved during series two and three (which is where the show really found it's identity and flow, weirdly enough).

Also, fun fact: If you search "Father Ted Cosplay" on Google Images, I am always in the top three results.