• Paid Members
3 hours ago, gmoney said:

Black Books series 1 is better than the other 2 series, and I reckon that's probably down to Linehan's involvement in that series.

I compare series 1 of Black Books to series 1 of BlackAdder, in that both are almost unrecognisable when it comes to character dynamics and the way the episodes are crafted from that point on, and that's probably why I enjoy both first series considerably less than the proceeding series'.

The stuff I liked as a kid growing up watching Ted (mainly Jack's swearing and catchphrases) has been replaced by the odd turns of phrase that would have passed over my head as a young fella. Like Ted's response to Father Larry Duff asking him 'how's it hangin?' (its hanging fine Larry) creases me every time I hear it!

Linehan's 'fuckin hell' from the audience in the King of the Sheep competition is forever tainted though.

• Paid Members

Father Ted.  The finest comedy series ever made.  We watch them all at least 3 times a year, and still notice things we’ve not seen before in the backgrounds.  Perfectly cast, and just gut wrenchingly funny.  

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Just wonderful. 

This is tremendous. As a side note, that BBC Archive Twitter account is a cracking follow. The amount of cool footage they have is incredible, and doesn't even scratch the surface of what's in the BBC vault (no Saville jokes please!)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

on the Mathews/Linehan contribution thing, my view was always that Linehan was the half of the duo that structured and formalised and wrote bang after bang jokes, whilst Mathews was basically the details man, the person who understood the world this was rooted in, the guy who responsible for this being an above-average farcical situation comedy.

If you watch the Mathews-solo sitcon Val Martin, TD (starring Ardal O'Hanlon) it tries to coast on fewer gags and more Irish specificity. It's a shame it isn't funny at all, but it is well-observed.

furthermore, there is definitely something to the idea that IT Crowd is Father Ted transplanted into a less well-observed arena; Linehan replaces the careful attention to language and mise-en-scene and culture with broader performances and famous people. I always felt Katherine Parkinson was told to basically 'do Elaine' as her character notes.

I can't watch it at the minute partly because of Linehan but also it is playing on a 24/7 channel in my own brain through overwatch. Tentacles of Doom my current favourite.