Watching too much wrestling gets boring in a way that watching too much football doesn’t.

Maikeru

Do you agree with this statement? If so, why do you think this is? When I told my Dad (a big Man U fan) that modern WWE overexposes its talent and bores its fans with at least ten hours of new content a week, he pointed out that he probably watches that much football in a week. This got me thinking - a lot of people probably spend this much time consuming content for football or whatever their favourite sport might be and don’t get bored. If you try to do this with wrestling, however, my experience suggests you’ll burn out after a few months. Is the reason simply that it’s not a sport, and sport is not entertainment, so the mind absorbs it differently? As a non sports fan I’m curious to know.

• Paid Members

Personally, I can/do watch way more wrestling on TV than football.

I'm a football fan. I hold a season ticket at Norwich, and attend a couple of away games each year. I watch very little football on TV that isn't Norwich, though. If I'm not emotionally invested, I don't enjoy it.

People are different, though. It blows the mind of the guy I sit next to at work that I have BT Sport at home but don't watch a Champions League or Europa League game every Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. I just don't care about it.

People also binge on box sets.

Personally I was a football fan when I was a kid but found there was way too fucking much of it. Now I only watch the Euros and the World Cup and that's enough for me. 

Edit:

Also, I'd argue that wrestling is essentially not all that different from dance (certainly closer to that than football). I suppose people watch that weekly during Strictly but otherwise I can't imagine people watch dance recitals for 10 hours a week. Presumably even the most avid fan only goes to the ballet a couple of times a season. Probably even less for ballroom?

Edited by Vamp

I struggle watching football that isn't Celtic or Scotland, because I have no emotional investment in it. Wrestling I can watch without the emotional investment to an extent, but I rarely watch it these days and when I do it is often reminiscing matches from my youth. I think a big difference is I don't lose emotional investment in 2 teams because my family supported them and hopefully my son will. Others will have that similar feeling that keeps them involved in foot but that won't happen as much with wrestling as parents will grow up cheering different wrestlers to their kids will. 

I think also a lot of people watch additional football content like analysis, news, pundits, phone ins etc to see what they think. It doesn’t work with WWE as such as it’s all kayfaybe. Probably why shoot interviews and podcasts for wrestling are so popular. also WWE is so separate to AEW unlike football. 

Now if they had shows where Vince McMahon did post RAW interviews talking about how well the show went and what didn’t work and where he needs to improve, I’d be all over that. Jeff Stelling is available isn’t he?

• Paid Members

“Too much” of anything is boring, that’s why it’s too much.

I don’t really know how to quantify an answer. I’ve happily watched three football matches in one day which is six hours with ad breaks. Could I watch four if they were half decent Premier League games? Probably.

Fairly sure I once watched a whole TakeOver, an old Rumble, War Games 92 then a modern length Mania in one sitting. Did I get bored? Yes. Was that due to the presentation of modern Manias, with a listless crowd, ropey booking and some matches going too long? Probably.

I can probably watch more wrestling than football. I’d watch every PPV from 1989 to 1992 uninterrupted and as long as I timed my poo break to coincide with Bushwhackers vs Beverly Brothers, I’d be happy.

It's down to each individual person. Like for me, there's a fine line with binge watching for example. I can really want to get through something, but I can easily get to the point where I'm absolutely sick of it and the theme tune starts to drive me insane and I just need a break. But that can be down to the product and the amount of it etc too. I don't think there's any right specific answer. Too many variables.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

I don't like much real sport. Half a game of football would probably be my limit. But my leisure time just about every day involves watching a couple hours of wrestling or wrestling-adjacent content.

Have you given up on the MMA? I noticed you haven't posted much recently on it like you used to.