Change One Thing.

CL Punk

Post-UFC Lesnar is far better than pre-UFC Lesnar precisely because we now knew he was legitimately the hardest cunt in the world. I wouldn’t want to do anything that derailed his UFC run.

I’d have stopped Austin’s bizarre retcon face turn the night after Survivor Series 2001 and had him drop the belt to (Royal Rumble winner) RVD at Mania X8.

Them resetting Austin to his ‘98 gimmick with no explanation was the first step in them becoming a farcical nostalgia show and RVD was clearly the organic next big thing in late ‘01 before they fell back into their comfort zone by putting Austin, Triple H and bloody Hogan back at the top of the card.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Pinc said:

Post-UFC Lesnar is far better than pre-UFC Lesnar precisely because we now knew he was legitimately the hardest cunt in the world. I wouldn’t want to do anything that derailed his UFC run.

Not to mention that his UFC run was some of the best pro-wrestling stuff you'd ever see outside pro-wrestling. All the Two-Can Van Dammes were getting so worked up about this "fake-ass" wrestler coming in and "making a mockery" of their precious sport with his promos and heelish behaviour (completely ignoring that he was pretty legit before he got into pro-wrestling). They were basically the original wrestling fans. Also, it was fun to watch him smash up Frank Mir, the Piers Morgan of MMA.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Pinc said:

I’d have stopped Austin’s bizarre retcon face turn the night after Survivor Series 2001 and had him drop the belt to (Royal Rumble winner) RVD at Mania X8.

RVD winning the belt how, when and where he did was perfect. Leave the memories alone.

Or to put it another way… him fucking it up like he did would have been far more embarrassing if he’d done it after winning the belt at a Mania in the days of one champion.

4 hours ago, air_raid said:

The immediate plans for Lesnar after Mania were another run with Taker. I think JBL would have still happened and at the point Eddy got burned out they may have still shifted the belt onto him while Taker was getting his win back from Lesnar and setting himself up for a SummerSlam title match, exactly as happened. But it’s very possible that they’d have used Lesnar to move the belt onto Cena in the end. I mean… wouldn’t you?

I didn't know this - so effectively, he'd have been in the Booker T role? It's hard to imagine Lesnar venturing into the world of the supernatural. I'd read that the tentative plans for Wrestlemania 21 were for Lesnar to take on Triple H, but given that Lesnar and Triple H were on separate brands, you would have to think Lesnar being there would not have affected the organic rise of Batista, and perhaps Batista/Triple H would have happened anyway. Lesnar/Cena seems like a very good shout, with JBL, if he still existed, being relegated to the pre-show battle royal?

• Paid Members

Leaving the McMahons out of the Invasion altogether and book WCW as close to equal strength. Feed the *actual* bottom guys to the BoD (Not Kanyon, poor bastard), but Flair comes in 3 months earlier to set up an Austin singles match at SummerSlam over the latter's treatment / jealousy. That way X8's match next year would have some substance.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, seph said:

Leaving the McMahons out of the Invasion altogether and book WCW as close to equal strength. Feed the *actual* bottom guys to the BoD (Not Kanyon, poor bastard), but Flair comes in 3 months earlier to set up an Austin singles match at SummerSlam over the latter's treatment / jealousy. That way X8's match next year would have some substance.

I'd have not done the Booker T/Buff Bagwell match, at least not then. Give them all some time to get used to wrestling in a bigger ring and do a WCW Starrcade at the end of 2001. Try and get better commentators in and see how it does. If it fails, try the invasion with a few more big name guys who are available, if it does well enough to be able to justify resurrecting WCW as a separate brand then do that. 

I saw this around the time that Cody left AEW. With the joke being he was returning to the WWE to bring back WCW.

It's a promo ad for WCW Revolution on 27th June 2001. Which was a Wednesday. The venue was the Stabler Arena in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Not exactly WCW's backyard for a return. Although they had a run the buidling a few times.

Looking at their plans it was always going to be bit doomed even if you delayed one or two things.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Another I'd like to see...

The curtain call dosent happen.

As a result Triple H wins the 1996 KOTR instead of Austin.

Austin would have still made it. As Jay Strongbow used to say, you can’t stop talent.

They retcon that King of the Ring was his saving grace but all it did was give him the catchphrase that got over and started selling T-shirts only after Austin got over. The office already knew the potential of Stone Cold in the ring before that show, since Bret had campaigned to work with him on the overseas tour straight after Mania, but the live crowds stayed lukewarm to him really until Philadelphia (funny that) at Mind Games reacted positively to him, he got his better music at Buried Alive, he gained traction with his psychotic edge with the “Pillmans got a gun” episode of Raw, and the promos leading up to, and New York’s reaction at, Survivor Series. Going in, lots of us just thought he’d be a well built up heel for Bret to beat and move on, on his way to Shawn. But MSG treating Austin how they did and the booking of him immediately before and after that show, with a big help from Bret, gave him more of a boost than King of the Ring did. Go watch his TV matches between then and Mind Games and you’ll see what I mean. The office regarded his speech as a lightbulb moment but it took a good few months for the fans to catch on, in reality.

• Paid Members

yeah, it's some real WWF revisionist history that Austin 3:16 was what made him. He was dicking about with Marc Mero at the next PPV, and didn't even make the Summerslam card.

It was Bret that made Austin, along with him being the natural foil for Pillman when they needed something to capitalise on that investment. Beyond that, he benefited from the WWF making the rare decision to move away from the Hogan/Bruno model of having one defined top babyface due in part to all the Shawn/Bret drama, and spend much of '96/'97 with a "matrix" of main event talent that could all be slotted in against each other - effectively Bret, Shawn, Sid and 'Taker, with Austin, Vader, and Mankind all available to be slotted into their roles as necessary - meaning that he got a level of opportunity and exposure at a top level that a "good hand heel" like him wouldn't have normally been afforded there, allowing him to prove his worth. A perfect storm of talent and timing, effectively. 

EDIT: Thinking about it, having mentioned Mankind in there, it's probably the same set of circumstances that allowed Mick Foley to rise above being a short-term heel threat to show his true potential too.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
On 3/14/2022 at 3:10 AM, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Just for the curiosity of the aftermath, Bret Hart figures out what the fuck is going on at Survivor Series vs Shawn Michaels and shoot pins / submits him to retain the championship. 

There's suggestions here that would have massive implications for the industry but this is the one I want. To see Bret legit sparking Shawn out or shooting on him, then getting to twat Vince when he comes to justify it afterwards and leaving as the champ would be the perfect moment. 

HHH not getting involved with Stephanie would be an interesting one...... I love HHH / DX's run in 99 / '00 but it would be interesting to see what would happen if he wasn't booked at the top of the card whilst Austin was out injured after being "run over" and HBK not retiring. I wonder who would'a been at the top in HHH's spot. 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

HHH not getting involved with Stephanie would be an interesting one...... I love HHH / DX's run in 99 / '00 but it would be interesting to see what would happen if he wasn't booked at the top of the card whilst Austin was out injured after being "run over" and HBK not retiring. I wonder who would'a been at the top in HHH's spot. 

Hunter was in the main event before he was dating Steph.