Your Underage Drink of Choice

neil

• Moderators
2 hours ago, air_raid said:

For some reason my sole memory of drinking at college parties was Metz. Does anyone remember that? Like Robinsons lemon barley with hidden alcohol.

I remember Metz being quite good.

Southern Comfort was the drink of choice when I was 15 or so.  What with the ads on telly it seemed dead sophisticated.

You only drink Southern Comfort until the first time you get really drunk on it and then throw up.  After that it’s never again.

And Archers for the ladies.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Loki said:

You only drink Southern Comfort until the first time you get really drunk on it and then throw up.  After that it’s never again.

That’s most alcohol, isn’t it?

• Paid Members

Most people I knew had that same experience with cider. I think most teenagers start off on cider because the taste is more tolerable than lager. They have one horrific night of vomiting and they never touch the stuff again.

21 hours ago, Merzbow said:

In Tile Hill? I've bought some out of date booze from there not that long ago actually... some bottles of Indian mango cider I'd never seen anywhere else and it luckily didn't kill me.

That's the place mate, I grew up on Westcotes.

On 3/12/2022 at 7:47 PM, Mr_Danger said:

ACAB obviously but as an adult you have to admire the S tier shithousery of our local pigs who would gleefully pour your booze away in front of you if they caught you drinking.

On one of the "pre match" Friday's we were walking down to the train station in Balsall Common where our well off mate lived and parents had a big house.

The local copper appeared out of nowhere and collared me for drinking my screw cap bottle of wine on the walk down. 

He asked my age and gave a smirk as I rattled it off making sure I was *just* 18, asked if I was with the other lads who had hurriedly fucked off towards the train station then screwed the cap back onto the bottle, gave it me back and said to make sure I didn't drink it in the street as it would incur a fine.

Wished me a good night, told me to keep myself safe and then pointed to a bus stop down the road and told me for what it was worth...he wouldn't be able to see whether or not I was drinking the wine again once I got past it.

Not ACAB.

It's punishable by a fine in Glasgow and many other areas of Scotland. A quick google search shows in England places with something called a PSPO prohibits it. No idea what the situation was in early 2000's West Midlands but I have no reason to doubt him.

• Paid Members

Excalibur beer from Lidl for me, reason being they rarely ID'ed there and it was cheap as chips. As you can probably guess, it tasted like cat's piss. We drank a fuck ton during our little post-prom camp-out in a mate's backgarden, with people getting sick behind their tents and into flower pots. As soon as we looked good enough to be in pubs (or in our case, befriended people who were actually old enough to be in a pub) it was Magners. Two or three bottles and I was a fucking gonner.

Weirdly enough, I don't look back on the underage drinking days with the same fondness as others do, as my real alcohol-fueled fun and mayhem began when I turned 18 and had a ton of disposable income from my first fulltime job. Most of the ugliest and funniest drunk memories come from before a change of the law in 2010*, when pubs would happily pour you a Snakebite and clubs were able to operate with some sort of "All You Can Drink" gimmick. Once that stopped, so did the sense of derring-do.

*I've searched high and low but struggled to find any concrete info on this, but I swear something did change in the law (at least in Birmingham/West Midlands) which meant clubs and pubs suddenly got a lot more conservative with their drink promotions.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

Frosty Jacks or Strongbow, because you could get two litre bottles dirt cheap at a corner shop that didn't really give a shit about asking for ID, and hadn't figured out that some beer actually tastes nice yet, so generally veered towards rancid fruity stuff. Went off Strongbow for a long time after an evening drinking in a park, starting out on some alcopop or other, then getting a big bottle of Strongbow in, just as everyone decided we should walk to another park at the other end of town. Necked the bottle on the way over, and was blind drunk by the time I got there, collapsed into a hedge, and someone had to get my phone out of my pocket, find my home phone number, and call my Dad to come and pick me up. The lad stayed with me until my Dad showed up, only to realise that my Dad was his Business Studies teacher.

Once I was able to (sometimes) blag my way into pubs and clubs, it was Snakebite and Black at the pubs I could more often got served in, and at the club I used to go to for gigs from when I was 16/17 onwards, and Jack Daniels or Guinness in the pubs that were a bit more hit and miss, because when you're 16 you somehow convince yourself that ordering a more "grown up" drink will trick a hardened bartender into thinking you're not a spotty youth. 

• Paid Members

14874071340_505f33c40e_b.thumb.jpg.5b91d797a5f38b99449e83c6f39bb127.jpg

TNT cider. Quid a bottle from the local corner shop. On reflection probably more expensive than White Diamond on a per litre basis but obviously looks  cool as fuck. 

Our mate Tank was the first one who could get served. He was dead fat & had a wax jacket, used to walk in the shop with a fag on and they'd never question him. 

• Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Trains also have a no open alcohol rule here but you can imagine that isn’t often enforced. 

A colleague and I did a work train trip to Cardiff and back to London in a day. On the way back she bought a can of red wine from the Cardiff station M&S that came with a disposable plastic glass. I remember seeing her drink it thinking it was against train policy but I was trying to imagine an attendant asking her to please not sip her red wine.

• Paid Members
On 3/13/2022 at 11:10 AM, wordsfromlee said:

Beware the Judderman!

14175a50affea1cb0978661ed459245e.jpg

I found this fucking terrifying at the time. The jerky movement, like something out of Jacob's Ladder, was what did it.