Your Underage Drink of Choice

neil

• Moderators

Remember scrapping together enough money amongst your mates and sending in the one that had the most chin pubes to get some bevvies to get your wild Friday night of walking around the streets or trekking to some weird field? What were you buying mate?

For me, your classic 90s lad it was one of:

Fosters Ice - cheap, easy to drink, stronger than regular Fosters and came in a delightfully thin glass bottle that meant you could smash them in a very satisfactory way

K Cider - don't remember this being all that cheap, but well strong. The inverse of Fosters Ice in that these bottles were thick as fuck, almost unbreakable, but made for a good weapon

Diamond White - similar the above

Carlsberg Elephant Beer - this packed a fucking punch, tasted awful

White Lightning - the classic, a rare choice though mainly because of how rancid it is

I avoided the other normal choices like Hooch and MD 20/20. A mate of mine used to get this disgusting strong wine, maybe a spirit, that I can't remember the name of now, think it started with an L.

A brief stint in the mid teens on the White lightning/ White Star the latter of which was £1 a plastic litre bottle. As well as woodpecker/strongbow before moving onto largers such as Carling/Fosters and Stella if it was on offer. 

Can't remember ever getting too wasted off any of the above unless mixing in shots usually of cheapo vodka, Malibu (which was game over) or those pre packed sidekick shots. Then at uni it was those awful Corkeys shots as well. 

• Paid Members

Agree with the Fosters Ice. i loved it as a 13 year old, and was my choice of lager until about 16 y/o! Saturday night in the park was usually a bottle of 20/20(we used to call it Mad Dog, for some reason), or a bottle of "Quid Shit" cider if we were counting the pennies. 

We also had a spell drinking something called Zafra. I don't remember much about it(so it must have been good!), but it was a Hooch knock off, I think.

Skol lager was really, really cheap for a few months, so we had that too... 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

Fosters Ice, Miller or if feeling particularly reckless Vodkat. Took a good few years and possible alcohol poisoning before I realised Vodkat wasn’t vodka. 

I only found out about Vodkat by putting it in the freezer a few hours before people were coming round for pre drinks before we hit town and the whole thing froze. 

spacer.png

Being Irish and coming of age in the mid 2000s, it could only have been Dutch Mould. The stuff had a monopoly on waster drinking until we were saved by an influx of cheaper, stronger Eastern European lagers. Preferably accompanied by rotten hash crumbled into the guts of a John Player Blue. 

I've developed better taste since, but a recline into bum cans and a few smokes temporarily comes into fashion for the world snooker championship each year when I book a few days off and pretend I'm back on the dole. 

• Paid Members

14 - 15 - White Lightning/white cider equivalent or Bacardi Breezers/Smirnoff Ice if we were flush. 

16 - 17 - We were in pubs by then so I'd starting drinking nice lager and ales, but I was also robbing Tennents Super and Special Brew from work fairly regularly so I still had more that a toe in the gutter. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Glens Vodka (there was also a really cheap Russian sounding one-Stolichnaya?)

Stolichnaya is fancy. There were/are lots of cheap similar sounding ones though I can't remember the names of any though, except Prince Consort. Waitrose did a oddly cheap own brand one I seem to remember.