Ukraine / Russian War

Loki

It's behind a pay wall, so I've not read it, but this was on the radio a few weeks ago. I could be wrong, but I thought this was due to some Russian soldiers being forced into war without their families knowing where they'd been sent. 

It's definitely a grim way to do it if photos are being sent to families, but I believe the hope is to try and cause more unrest within Russia.

Edited by kev2050

• Paid Members

That’s awful and while I’ll never look to excuse it, I’m not sure Ukraine can be blamed for clutching at every last straw when Russians are using rape as a weapon and indiscriminately bombing humanitarian corridors. 

Edited by stumobir

• Paid Members

While it's hardly pleasant, you have to remember that Ukrainians are the ones with their homeland being invaded and civilians butchered. Can hardly blame them for fighting back in every way they possibly can even if that's with grim psychological warfare. As a great man once said, war is never a picnic. Although soldiers do end up eating outdoors rather a lot. 

It's shocking and barbaric from afar, but we're not the ones being massacred in our homes while the rest of the world tweets hashtags.

If your pride and joy comes with a rifle to slaughter my family and I somehow get him first, you're lucky if I don't send you his balls in a box.

3 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

If your pride and joy comes with a rifle to slaughter my family and I somehow get him first, you're lucky if I don't send you his balls in a box.

Then you’d take her out for a seafood dinner and never call her again. 

17 hours ago, kev2050 said:

It's behind a pay wall, so I've not read it, but this was on the radio a few weeks ago. I could be wrong, but I thought this was due to some Russian soldiers being forced into war without their families knowing where they'd been sent. 

It's definitely a grim way to do it if photos are being sent to families, but I believe the hope is to try and cause more unrest within Russia.

Eh, that was the propaganda face of it. "We are keeping a database of all the dead Russian troops so that their families can know what hapepned to them, because we are nice and lovely and the good guys". It's important to remember that propaganda is coming from both sides, because they're at war and that's what happens in war.

18 hours ago, kev2050 said:

It's behind a pay wall, so I've not read it

Not on my browser. And no matter what browser you use, always use private browsing mode. As it gets rid of all the tracking cookies every time you close your browser, you get to bypass all the you can read x articles without registering restrictions.

43 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

Eh, that was the propaganda face of it. "We are keeping a database of all the dead Russian troops so that their families can know what hapepned to them, because we are nice and lovely and the good guys". It's important to remember that propaganda is coming from both sides, because they're at war and that's what happens in war.

Exactly. It’s the Ukrainian government doing this, not just your rock hard family members like Uncle Zeb. The same Ukrainian government that has a nazi battalion as part of its guard. 

I’m hoping this leads to a Battleship Potemkin style uprising. We’ve already heard stories of beleaguered conscripts turning on their leaders, let’s hope more working class people do the same against their non military leaders. 

23 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

rock hard family members like Uncle Zeb

I didn't say it was likely I'd get him first.

Most probable outcome of any home intrusion is me being shot/stabbed while I'm trying to falsely relabel the HDMI inputs on the telly, because that'll teach them.

21 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I didn't say it was likely I'd get him first.

Most probable outcome of any home intrusion is me being shot/stabbed while I'm trying to falsely relabel the HDMI inputs on the telly, because that'll teach them.

I’ve got some spare table legs in the hallway, I keep meaning to leave one by my bed as my “Just in case”. 

As it stands, my pillow is my last line of defence. Think I’ll be dead. 

• Paid Members

Ultimately there are no winners in a war, both sides of any and all conflicts will do despicable things because that's the horrible nature of war. 

To try and take sides stood from a far is pointless and futile. 

Edited by Tommy!

• 3 weeks later...