Ukraine / Russian War

Loki

Turns out the missile that hit Poland came from Ukrainian forces. But they’re the brave good guys so that’s alright then. No doubt it’ll be spun as they did it deliberately and tried to blame Russia FALSE FLAG etc  

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Don't worry folks, Gianni Infantino has asked Russia and Ukraine for a temporary ceasefire for the World Cup, so things should calm down for a bit. 

Hey, if they could do it for WWI...

• Paid Members

Interestingly (to me, anyway), the Eastern Front had no equivalent to the Western Front's Christmas ceasefire and football game, because Russia was still using the Julian calendar until 1918, so wouldn't have recognised that date as Christmas.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Interestingly (to me, anyway), the Eastern Front had no equivalent to the Western Front's Christmas ceasefire and football game, because Russia was still using the Julian calendar until 1918, so wouldn't have recognised that date as Christmas.

I think there's still a holdover to that even now - Trafalgar Square hosts a Russian Christmas market in early January. Not sure if they're doing it this year, though.

Something I bumped on earlier, reading about Poland - I had forgotten that WW2 essentially started with both Germany AND Russia invading Poland.  They split it between them with the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact.

It wasn't until 2 years later that Germany actually invaded Russia and kicked off the second front, until then they were essentially allies.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Loki said:

Something I bumped on earlier, reading about Poland - I had forgotten that WW2 essentially started with both Germany AND Russia invading Poland.  They split it between them with the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact.

It wasn't until 2 years later that Germany actually invaded Russia and kicked off the second front, until then they were essentially allies.

On a similar note, and something I didn't know until I visited, there is (or was) a section at the Nuremberg trials museum dedicated to Russian genocide they tried to (and in some cases successfully did) pin on the Nazis after the war.

If I remember right we issued them a with a stern letter saying it undermined the trials then kept quiet.