Ukraine / Russian War

Loki

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah I’m sure he won’t forget or anything. 

Yeah, and I'm sure he was just getting around to unbanning those three opposition TV stations he banned in February of last year, but then the war started and it just went right out of his mind.

37 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

Yeah, and I'm sure he was just getting around to unbanning those three opposition TV stations he banned in February of last year, but then the war started and it just went right out of his mind.

Don’t worry, they can all be merged into this new one. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Look I know this isn't the main thing to take from that first video, and it IS horrific, but is that the fucking Terminator theme he's playing on the piano?

Yes.

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

This is what leadership looks like. Fighting to keep democracy alive. 

But he’s the good guy so it isn’t a purge or anything resembling what a dictator would do. That’s different. 

In over my head on this stuff. No idea what sources to trust and no time to find out tbh. One lot of sources says this is an ultra nationalist power grab and others say that they were all pro-russian with financial ties to Russia. 🤷🏽

My gut says the intensity of the situation has created some serious paranoia that's leading to questionable and overly broad decisions, but that they're are motivated by aims of national security over future power consolidation.

3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

In over my head on this stuff. No idea what sources to trust and no time to find out tbh. One lot of sources says this is an ultra nationalist power grab and others say that they were all pro-russian with financial ties to Russia. 🤷🏽

My gut says the intensity of the situation has created some serious paranoia that's leading to questionable and overly broad decisions, but that they're are motivated by aims of national security over future power consolidation.

Interesting that none of the far right parties were proscribed. Some of the parties have ties to Russia in the sense that Ukraine has a fairly substantial Russian population in the east and a lot of these parties are popular there, but they’ve (at least some of them what I’ve seen) have condemned the invasion. I think it’s absolute shite that a party with 44 seats are booted out. Hopefully it’s temporary though. 

As you say, these are not normal times, and martial law can always be seen as paranoid and overreaching. I think there are too many, ahem, red flags surrounding Zelenskyy for me to give him the benefit of the doubt. Sure he’s gutted about that. 

Also completely unrelated, it pisses me off the way people/idiots make out that Putin and Russia are somehow left wing and how this is communism rearing it’s ugly head again. Arseholes. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Also completely unrelated, it pisses me off the way people/idiots make out that Putin and Russia are somehow left wing and how this is communism rearing it’s ugly head again. Arseholes. 

I put this down to the simple fact that people have become largely unaccustomed to the idea of enmity with other countries or spheres on the basis of nothing more than self-interest and power rivalries, rather than political ideology, at least at the level of the general population who've been sold the idea that the big enemies of our times have been either the Communists, or the Muslims. The last time we went to war with any other states over something other than the pretext of political principle was probably WWI (and even then, the people were probably told there was something principled in it). They can't get their heads around the idea that Putin's Russia is a capitalist state that's vying with the US and the West for power, so they just settle for the easy Russia = USSR.

Putin has essentially brought back imperial Russia, not the USSR. 

Edited by Carbomb

Correction to my post before yours, two of the proscribed parties seem to be pretty far right so I got that wrong when I said it was left parties, it was mainly left parties. 

19 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Putin has essentially brought back imperial Russia, not the USSR. 

Yep.