Ukraine / Russian War

Loki

1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

There'll never be a time these arguments can be made without risking a reduction in urgently needed support for Ukraine?

I would argue there's never been a better time. 

The eyes of the entire world and all our media are fully fixated on this daily, what better time to shed some light on similar or worse plights which not only are in desperate need of action but again to reference Palestine have been going on for decades.

I've spoken to numerous people personally who have told me of experiencing Israeli soldiers turning up at their family home with guns telling them they have 24 hours to leave else their house is being flattened with them in it as they're taking the land for Israeli people.

This is a nation that classed as a "major ally" by NATO.

The biggest problem is ignorance. I spoke to a friend about Palestine a year or so ago when it came up in the news for a short spell and they had absolutely no idea whatsoever what was going on or the history. I knew little to nothing about the ongoing conflicts in Yemen and Somalia until I saw others mentioning them at the start of the Ukraine conflict. The main reason being that they haven't and likely wont be reported on to the same extent.

Added to my belief the main difference in concern by the west and their media is the whiteness aspect, my belief on why such attention and criticism isn't placed on perpetrators like Israel is because they're an ally of the UK/US and it's much harder to do than this jumping on the bandwagon style reaction against Russia.

Not only do we not boycott or sanction other similar perpetrators and their affiliates but we're actively funding them.

I don't agree whatsoever that "now isnt the time" or it "takes attention and support away". Imagine if during Me Too you had people sharing experiences of similar or worse abuse and there were people saying "hmm I'm not sure if now's the time really, you might take some attention from victims we actually care about, sorry".

Not having a go at you whatsoever, just trying to make a point.

31 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I can’t remember which charity it was but they said they’d rather money was sent direct than vans filled with clothes people were going to take to the tip. It’s heartwarming though to see someone prepared to fill up a van and drive it over 1000 miles this help but I do think leaving it to professionals or working with them is the best approach. 

I think we're similar ages Keith...do you remember the "charity" doing the rounds in Coventry schools asking for donations to drive lorries over to Africa filled with "aid goods". 

Even as a kid I thought it surely would be more economical and useful to send money direct to people to spend on products locally and only send items or medicine which for some reason couldn't be sourced there directly. 

2 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Not only do we not boycott or sanction other similar perpetrators and their affiliates but we're actively funding them.

And in the case of Yemen, we sell the Saudis the weapons they use to kill. 

3 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Imagine if during Me Too you had people sharing experiences of similar or worse abuse and there were people saying "hmm I'm not sure if now's the time really, you might take some attention from victims we actually care about, sorry".

Zeb has already said it’s not like All Lives Matter in fairness to him. And I do see his point, I personally don’t know of anyone being chastised for being charitable to Ukraine but if someone says to them “They’ve got enough help, what about helping these out instead” it’s going to piss someone off and they may think twice about future donations because they either feel they can’t please some people or they’re helping the wrong people. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I think we're similar ages Keith...do you remember the "charity" doing the rounds in Coventry schools asking for donations to drive lorries over to Africa filled with "aid goods". 

Even as a kid I thought it surely would be more economical and useful to send money direct to people to spend on products locally and only send items or medicine which for some reason couldn't be sourced there directly. 

The issue with sending money is, rightly or wrongly, the assumption that it wouldn't end up in the right place. Whether the worry is of charities skimming too much off the top, or of it ending up in corrupt hands somewhere before the destination (kind of like how much of Haiti's international aid in the 20th century just went to lining the Duvalier family coffers while their people were starving), it's a rational worry. But the solution isn't to just send any old tat.

The best thing you can do, if you don't want to or are unable to donate money, is to liaise with organisations that are already working on the ground, and find out what they actually need

13 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

This is more about the story than the tweet but fucking hell, a gross response to a truly despicable action.

The relish with which some liberals cheering on the collapse of the Russian economy is equally nauseating. “Yay millions and millions of people will have no money and won’t be able to eat!! It’s their fault because they haven’t deposed Putin yet”

• Paid Members

Has the tweet been deleted? Because I clicked it and keep getting a "something went wrong" message. But it's still embedded in full on here, so - what's going on there?

And yes, what a fucking cunt. Typical arrogant Westerner who thinks the rest of the world's countries have the same luxuries as they do, and should be drawn into their bullshit.

EDIT: Found by searching the account in the end. Seems the shit-head has blocked replies, quelle fucking surprise.

Edited by Carbomb

Zelenskyy has said he's "cooled" on NATO membership.  This feels very much like offering an out to Putin, who can then reasonably spin this as a victory to the Russian public as securing Russia's borders.

Of course it doesn't guarantee that Putin doesn't try this again in 12 months but it allows the EU to arm up Ukraine to the max, so it'll be a de facto European front line.

I think this is the right strategy, even if this isn't quite the right offering - giving Putin an out so he can save face.  Unpalatable to be pandering to such a monster but he's got nukes, so everyone wants out of this conflict.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I assume the Nuremberg style trial that Brown is bumping his stupid looking Droopy face about will also be looking in to the war crimes committed by his Government? Would take a blowtorch to mark their necks. 

2 hours ago, stumobir said:

I assume the Nuremberg style trial that Brown is bumping his stupid looking Droopy face about will also be looking in to the war crimes committed by his Government? Would take a blowtorch to mark their necks. 

How are they thinking they'd ever get Putin into custody to put him on trial?!

7 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Wasn’t sure whether or not to put this in the shithousery thread, such is it’s scale.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60804949

3746300B-2A98-4D2E-92E1-F6EA48AE05ED.thumb.jpeg.5e61866bf26dd526913fa51941e575e3.jpeg

That’s some mad propaganda shit. Those suits would’ve been made months in advance and more than likely represent the colours of their university.