Things that cheer you up

Carbomb

On 7/24/2024 at 8:47 PM, SuperBacon said:

Earlier on this evening in the little park behind our houses, I scored a fucking screamer of a volley, top bins and wheeled away like I'd just won the World Cup.

Against my 11yo child.

images(1).jpeg.7528e0ca974d75d7a97bc42faee71f22.jpeg

I scored a corner a few weeks ago against my 9 year old. Never even tried to do it before, and am gutted I didn’t practice it as a kid now. He wasn’t remotely impressed.

• Paid Members
On 7/25/2024 at 12:19 PM, Carbomb said:

Been giving some serious thought to doing some sort of course in maths, as pretty much all my studies post-GCSE were non-science, and I feel like it would benefit me to broaden my horizons.

It is always good to expand your repotoire. 

I've  always fancied taking an Advanced driving course. One of my brothers in law has just completed the latest stage of his Police driver training. He had to be dropped off at a train station near Torquay last night. Of course, I offered to take him. We were a little late in leaving and the sat nav decided it had to take us via the back roads. This resulted in some spirited driving by Leicesters version of Fangio and one suitably impressed Advanced driver.

I probably won't need to take the course now.

It does take ages to drive from The Midlands to Devon/Cornwall. Once you get here though. Utterly worth it!

Not sure if there's a Lego thread or if it was just mentioned in here but yeah I'm all in on Lego. Specifically the cheap knock off stuff from AliExpress. I've bought fucking shelves for my Lego. Now I want all of it and I'm worried my wife will kick me out because I've got so many packages waiting to be built. It's a proper mad thing to suddenly become obsessed with at my age but it's helping to keep me sane.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Not sure if there's a Lego thread or if it was just mentioned in here but yeah I'm all in on Lego. Specifically the cheap knock off stuff from AliExpress. I've bought fucking shelves for my Lego. Now I want all of it and I'm worried my wife will kick me out because I've got so many packages waiting to be built. It's a proper mad thing to suddenly become obsessed with at my age but it's helping to keep me sane.

You need to grow the fuck up and be mad into wrestling like a real man. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Just has a call from Crystal Palace’s Box Office. They were ringing to apologise about incorrectly letting me move my season ticket to another seat, which was meant to have been reserved for a club ambassador. To make it up to me, they’ve moved me to a new seat (only two rows back so no biggie), but have given me a 50% discount for the inconvenience. Going to the match is as financially draining as it is emotionally, so this is bloody brilliant.

For the last couple of years I've been writing match reports for my local Non-League club.

Safe in the knowledge that no one reads them anyway I decided to talk less and less about the football and more and more about,  well, just about anything.

Topics have included the dark side of Thomas the Tank engine, misheard lyrics from 1990s Indie bands and why Batman isn't really a superhero.

Anyway, I decided to turn some of them into a book on Amazon a few weeks ago, and and now I'm a published author.

I won't add the link, but the book is called 'Sometimes I talk about the football' if anyone is interested in a free look at the first report.

When that first copy got sold was some feeling ?

Edited by DiscoPistol
facts matter

• Paid Members

For the sake of 99p I've just given you a buy on Kindle @DiscoPistol - but just out of interest, see it's Kindle Unlimited at the mo, which I do have currently (on free trial).

If I'd read it on there, do you get anything, and if so, what's the difference? 

23 minutes ago, Statto said:

For the sake of 99p I've just given you a buy on Kindle @DiscoPistol - but just out of interest, see it's Kindle Unlimited at the mo, which I do have currently (on free trial).

If I'd read it on there, do you get anything, and if so, what's the difference? 

Firstly, thanks!

On Kindle Unlimited I still get paid by page read (so far as I understand it), and you have the added bonus of returning it once you've worked out that Willand Rovers match reports aren't as exciting as they first seemed ?

4 hours ago, DiscoPistol said:

Firstly, thanks!

On Kindle Unlimited I still get paid by page read (so far as I understand it), and you have the added bonus of returning it once you've worked out that Willand Rovers match reports aren't as exciting as they first seemed ?

TIL George Carlin voiced Thomas the Tank Engine, I've only ever heard Ringo and your man from Boys From the Blackstuff. Mind blown!

1 hour ago, Harry Wiseau said:

TIL George Carlin voiced Thomas the Tank Engine, I've only ever heard Ringo and your man from Boys From the Blackstuff. Mind blown!

Yesss, thank you for reminding me of this. He narrated the first few series of Thomas in America, where it was oddly packaged into another show under the title Shining Time Station.

I was more mind blown to know Carlin's replacements included Alec Baldwin & Pierce Brosnan.