From Software Games

Onyx2

21 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Vagabond. 

Yeah, I think it's why I've not ever really been able to get on board with them. I'd seen Elden Ring compared to Breath of the Wild, which I love, and I wanted to give it a chance. I thought the open world, and the ability to strengthen and hone my skills would make the game more enjoyable for me than, say, Bloodborne, but I'm just not feeling it at this stage. 

Thought I’d reply to this in here seeing as you might have missed this thread and it could have some handy tips for you. What are you playing on and is there anything in particular that you are stuck on? These games are so aloof that it could be the smallest thing that you’re missing and it could transform the whole experience for you. I’d second the advice to summon on bosses, this game is the first one I’ve played where the multiplayer greatly enhanced the experience.

17 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

@Mr_Danger - thanks for this! To be honest, I’m stuck very early on, on Margit. Summoning doesn’t help much, I get pummelled over, and over. 

I’m on PS5 if you want any help. I probably spent as much or more time on Margit as I did any boss. The biggest tip I’d give you is to use your jump attack and heavy attack to break the ‘invisible’ meter down then when the boss is in a stunned state you can chip off a lot more of the bosses health. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, RedRooster said:

@Mr_Danger - thanks for this! To be honest, I’m stuck very early on, on Margit. Summoning doesn’t help much, I get pummelled over, and over. 

I haven't played since I beat it around launch, but from memory Margit is set up to be a wall you run into early on to suggest to you that you should explore and level up doing other shit for a bit.

I'm not great at these games, so on launch day me and a friend spent the entire night just banging our heads against Margit and getting frustrated, then the next morning I just buggered off to do other dungeons & areas then came back 15 levels higher and battered him.

Ah cheers everyone, and thanks @Mr_Danger - I’m also on PS5.

I’ve started replaying Dark Souls on Switch, and I’m quite enjoying that, so I think I’ll complete that before trying Elden Ring again. Maybe I need the experience of something similar but less punishing to fully appreciate Elden Ring.  Dark Souls doesn’t feel anywhere near as tough after my experiences with Elden Ring!

• 1 month later...
  • Awards Moderator

Just over a year since I first played Dark Souls and I'm returning to Lordran. I missed the DLC first time round and I've decided to Platinum it. I never do this but somehow in this game it feels genuinely like a different way to play it and experience more DS. 

I'm about 80% there. Getting the materials for weapon ascension has been fine but it's collecting the major weapons (Knight's Honor I think it's called) is quite the trek. Worse still when Seath's tail weapon doesn't drop 😭 I'm also struggling to help people to get Sunlight medals (you need 10 for special Miracles), I've let myself get too high a level which restricts my matchmaking pool. Might have to wait for NG+ but I'm doing as much as I can in this game while it's easier. 

But Oolacile... Artorias is kicking my arse. As others say it's a brutally fair fight and I've watched endless videos on it but I'm still getting punished. 

• 5 weeks later...

The rolling takes a while to get used to, too. It's very different to all the other games and you find yourself rolling right into attacks..

Edit: I'm going with the OG FromSoft bad boy. I think it's been in most pre-Souls games too.

spacer.png

Edited by Merzbow

• 1 month later...

So FromSoft are back to making Armored Core for the first time in nearly a decade, I never really played much of them so have downloaded 4 and it's direct sequel For Answer on my PS3.

I'm interested in what they end up taking from years of Soulsbornes and applying to a mech game, if they take anything from them at all.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

So FromSoft are back to making Armored Core for the first time in nearly a decade, I never really played much of them so have downloaded 4 and it's direct sequel For Answer on my PS3.

I'm interested in what they end up taking from years of Soulsbornes and applying to a mech game, if they take anything from them at all.

Slightly off topic but there's quite a good play through and review of the first one on ps1 on YouTube (josh strife plays) if anyone's interested. 

• Paid Members

At long last, after approximately 86 deaths, I finally beat the Fume Knight last night. There was much rejoicing. Then I moved on to Sir Alonne and he absolutely destroyed me. Stayed up far too late fighting him to no avail and continued this morning and finally beat him after about 50 defeats. I found this guy infuriating - he moved so ridiculously fast I found it so hard to react in time to dodge his attacks. I've been playing my way through Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin for the first time and I'm going for the Platinum. Dark Souls are truly extraordinary games - I've never played a game that reminded me so much of hillwalking. The struggle and endurance required to beat those bosses was like a gritty, tough climb up a mountain but upon beating them and reaching the summit and taking in the view brought a sense of triumph and satisfaction I've rarely experienced elsewhere in a video game. Finishing off the first playthrough now and then there's 1 and a half more...