From Software Games

Onyx2

• Paid Members

I've got really stuck into DS2 recently. I tried it years ago and it's slightly clunky feel and opening couple of areas put me off it, but I'm glad I've persevered as I'm rather enjoying it now. It makes me understand the criticisms of DS3 as just a of rehash of DS1 as there's loads of interesting, original stuff here, so if you were expecting something building on that from the sequel I can see why you'd be miffed. Not a fan of your heath shrinking after you die though, seems to run counter to the spirit of the game. And some of the deaths feel cheap as fuck. Good though. 

• 1 month later...

I hate The Godskin Duo in Elden Ring. I don’t think I’ve ever been so annoyed or frustrated by a boss fight. I don’t have anything constructive or interesting to say, I just need to rant before my head explodes. Fuck these guys. 

What’s annoyed me even more after taking an absolute age and many, many deaths to beat them is discovering that they are vulnerable to sleep and this could have been over much more quickly. Fuck this fucking fight one thousand times over! 

• Paid Members
On 2/21/2024 at 4:58 PM, gmoney said:

I've got really stuck into DS2 recently. I tried it years ago and it's slightly clunky feel and opening couple of areas put me off it, but I'm glad I've persevered as I'm rather enjoying it now. It makes me understand the criticisms of DS3 as just a of rehash of DS1 as there's loads of interesting, original stuff here, so if you were expecting something building on that from the sequel I can see why you'd be miffed. Not a fan of your heath shrinking after you die though, seems to run counter to the spirit of the game. And some of the deaths feel cheap as fuck. Good though. 

Having now finished this, I've also got a sense of why it's quite unpopular. It's too long and very clunky in comparison to 1 and 3. Though I maintain the main things that I didn't enjoy was the lowering of your health when you die, and enemies disappearing when you've killed them a certain number of times. Those mechanics felt against the spirit of the games to me, that dying doesn't mean too much and you just pick yourself up and go again and again. 

That said, it had it's positives, and I'm glad to have experienced it. I did stick on DS3 straight afterwards though and thought "this is so much better". 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m playing Demon’s Souls remake to fill the void before Shadow Of The Erdtree comes along to take over my life. I’m loving it but I’ve hit a brick wall trying to beat the two Maneaters in Latria. Having a narrow walkway to fight them on doesn’t help. They themselves aren’t killing me, it’s me plummeting to my death ad nauseam. I could (and should) go elsewhere, level up and come back when I can smack them to pieces in seconds. But these games give you that false sense of confidence. “Okay, I died in seconds last time. But I have a good feeling about my next attempt!” Hours later and the only thing that’s changed is my level of frustration.

I hate these games. I love these games.

Edit: beat them on my next attempt after writing this post. 

Edited by Dr. Alan Grant
A Maneater make you work hard