From Software Games

Onyx2

• Paid Members

I did it, I finally did it! Platinum #80 - Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin. Copied and pasted my review for a Trophy group below.

Finally! Dark Souls 2 is my second From Software platinum. I'd heard all the negative stuff about this game from the community but honestly I really enjoyed it and it didn't seem that different from Dark Souls Remastered. The one big difference is how when you die you get a reduction on your health bar - up to a maximum of 50% less health. It wouldn't really be a problem besides the fact that, ye know, this is Dark Souls and dying 4 milion times is a large part of the gameplay! Apart from that though, it was a really good game.

Going for the Plat was quite draining as you have to play through the game 2 and a half times. Second and third time were pretty much speedruns but still a little bit annoying. The hardest parts of the game for me were Fume Knight and Sir Allone. Both of those mega tough bosses took me about 80 tries each. The Shrine of Amana, while pretty, was also really tough with a ton of nasty enemies. Special mention to the settlement of Majula which served as a gorgeous Hub world to get away from all the darkness and death for a while. So, Dark Souls 2 is unfairly maligned. If you've not played the game because you heard how terrible it is, really give it a try! My goal is to get the Platinum in all Dark Souls games plus Bloodbourne and that's the first 2 in the series done now! I'll take a Souls break for a bit and come back in a few months to take on Dark Souls 3. This is one of my prouder platinums.

"You're Undead…aren't you? You have that distinct scent. The smell of irreversible fate. This is Majula. It is a kind of settlement… A place where life is almost normal. And in Drangleic these days, there are very few places like that"

DarkSouls2 - Plat (ukff).jpg

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

• Paid Members

Cheers! The DLCs were rough. Some beautiful areas but the 2 above-mentioned bosses were incredibly hard. Actually, a boss which gave me a hell of a lot of trouble was the Darklurker. I always go for a pure melee strength build and there's a point in the fight against her where beating her becomes incredibly challenging as a melee build. In the end it came down to pure luck!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

A little late but I've started Armoured Core 6 and yeah it's pretty wild, not so much of the Soulsborne DNA in it but you can still feel little bits during bosses that can be completely batshit.

This is a far more straightforward mission based game, completely linear it seems. With a heavy emphasis on build diversity, you can even sell any parts you don't like for the exact prices you paid so it encourages experimentation. I hear it has a moonlight sword like nearly all games since Kings Field.. might need to grab that when I can.

Edited by Merzbow

Finished my first run and now on to NG+ with a totally different and slightly silly energy build built around the previously mentioned Moonlight Sword.

It's been by far the easiest FromSoft game I've played, I don't think I've ever spent more than twenty minutes on a single boss including the tough arena fights. But I did hear that some early bosses were nerfed at one point, crazy tracking had people hitting a brick wall within the first hour.

I think it's time for Bloodborne 2, either that or they go for something new but the crazy popularity of Elden Ring has me thinking they'll go down that route and follow up on it.

• Paid Members
On 10/12/2023 at 2:54 PM, Merzbow said:

A little late but I've started Armoured Core 6 and yeah it's pretty wild, not so much of the Soulsborne DNA in it but you can still feel little bits during bosses that can be completely batshit.

This is a far more straightforward mission based game, completely linear it seems. With a heavy emphasis on build diversity, you can even sell any parts you don't like for the exact prices you paid so it encourages experimentation. I hear it has a moonlight sword like nearly all games since Kings Field.. might need to grab that when I can.

I'm pretty sure I've recommended it here before but JoshStyfePlays armoured core 1 review is great and calls out most of your post, including the moonlight great sword.

Edit: his eternal ring ones great too.

Edited by Tommy!

4 hours ago, Tommy! said:

I'm pretty sure I've recommended it here before but JoshStyfePlays armoured core 1 review is great and calls out most of your post, including the moonlight great sword.

Edit: his eternal ring ones great too.

I like how he starts with "Does Armored Core exist in the Dark Souls universe" because 6 especially hints at it, or more that it has even stronger thematic similarities.

Ok, so New Game + adds some extra missions and alternative versions with some seriously tough gank squad battles, the first time I've had genuine problems beating ACs when they're obviously input reading and getting out of stagger way faster than you can. Bastards! I did manage to get through them without a total cheese build but it's taken a few hours.

• 3 months later...